Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 22: August 2010-June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I don't like the whole feathered hat thing, but I actually like the hat and the whole outfit! The colors go good together, and the coat looks really warm!

That was quick, say bye to the Emir then off to work.
That's why I love HM.

Great captions, Warren, as well as the photos!! lol Thank you for the comic relief.

Would be interesting to know how long she stood there, reviewing and
comparing.. ;)

Today, November 2nd, the Queen received the High Commissioner for Tanzania
Peter Kallaghe and the Ambassador of Brazil, Roberto Jaguaribe at Buckingham
Palace, London.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery **

Queen Elizabeth at an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace, London,
November 3, 2010.

** From the cobbles to the palace: Coronation Street stars Barbara Knox and Eileen Derbyshire made MBEs **

Last edited:
This fills me with sadness because of all the ARK ROYAL jobs which will be lost at Rosyth, Edinburgh.
The Queen must have found the occasion poignant because her mother commissioned the aircraft carrier, and she herself will eventually preside over the the decommissioning ceremony. :-(

This fills me with sadness because of all the ARK ROYAL jobs which will be lost at Rosyth, Edinburgh.
The Queen must have found the occasion poignant because her mother commissioned the aircraft carrier, and she herself will eventually preside over the the decommissioning ceremony. :-(

Me as well. She was part of the Fleet Review celebrating Canada's Naval Centennial during The Royal Visit in June and July. I still laugh when I see the image in my mind's eye of HMCS St. John going past HMS Ark Royal, as our little frigate looked like a toy next to that huge aircraft carrier.

What a shame.

Queen Elizabeth during an investiture at Buckingham Palace, London, November 9:

** Pic ** belga gallery **

Today Queen Elizabeth also attended a second event, she presented the Chatham House
Prize to the President of Turkey, Abdullah Gul, during a ceremony and reception in Whitehall
in London. The Chatham House Prize is annually presented to the statesperson deemed by
members of the Royal Institute of International Affairs at Chatham House to have made the
most significant contribution to the improvement of international relations in the previous year.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

Last edited:
I'm very surprised that HM did not wear the new brooch presented on her last visit to Turkey! Most unusual to break that habit!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a pic of the new brooch that was presented to HM, Gill? I don't remember what it looks like. Also, what brooch is she wearing during this presentation?

Sorry, I don't have a clear one which would be allowed on this board (copyright reasons) but it was a long slender pink enamelled tulip with a fine green stem and leaf.

Today's brooch was a wedding present and has a folded gold net at the bottom with three diamond calla lilies each with a tiny red line representing the spike (sorry I don't know the botanical terminology!) in the middle of each of the flowers. It's often been worn on red outfits.

Ah dear Gill! I remember the tulip brooch very well now, thanks to your description! It is strange for HM not to have worn it as it Is her custom to do so...

Thank you ever so much for your help. :)

Queen Elizabeth today, November 11, received Her Excellency the Ambassador of Estonia,
Mrs Aino Lepik von Wiren (1) and His Excellency the Ambassador of Norway, Kim Traavik (2)
as they presented their credentials at Buckingham Palace.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

Lovely dress HM is wearing. However, in the second pic I do not see her wearing a brooch. Perhaps because of the gold buttons... Unusual, to say the least.

Lovely dress HM is wearing. However, in the second pic I do not see her wearing a brooch. Perhaps because of the gold buttons... Unusual, to say the least.

You are right, a brooch would be to much with the gold buttons. :flowers:

The Queen and Prince Philip attended the annual Civil Service Awards Reception,
at Buckingham Palace, November 11, 2010 in London. I wonder what her comment
about the striped socks was and why they were shown to her :D

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages/zimbio gallery **

Today, November 12, Queen Elizabeth visited KPMG's new building in Canada Square,
Canary Wharf, London. The Queen made a short tour of the building, met staff
members and unveiled a plaque to mark its official opening.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages/daylife **

Last edited:
Her Majesty is amazing -- my mother is 82, two years younger than HM, and in very good health, but complains endlessly if she just has to go to the store a few miles away. And here the Queen is receiving people and visiting places multiple times a day!

Queen Elizabeth during an Investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle,
November 16, 2010.

The Queen also hosted a reception for Leaders of the Overseas Territories
at Windsor Castle today:

Ooops! The poor lady in pic 2 attempting to curtsey, is having a tough time of it. HM is just smiling with her gracious smile while her hand is being crushed....

Which once more shows, that it's not as easy as it often seems..;):)

Today, November 17, the Queen has received Mr. Rana Dasgupta, winner of
the 2010 Commonwealth Writers' Prize at Windsor Castle. Also present was
Dr. Mark Collins, Director of the Commonwealth Foundation.

Since 1987 the prize aims to recognise the best fiction by both established and
new writers from Commonwealth countries and to make sure that these works
reach a wider audience.

Her Majesty is amazing -- my mother is 82, two years younger than HM, and in very good health, but complains endlessly if she just has to go to the store a few miles away. And here the Queen is receiving people and visiting places multiple times a day!

Yes, HM is a wonder.

I wouldn't be too hard on your mother, my mother is 80 and I'm the one who complains about having to go to the store!! I am sure HM can still do what she does as she has always done it and, well, you know -- mind over matter.

That color works well with HM's hair. Lovely! She IS A wonder.

Accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, Queen Elizabeth was in Sheffield today, November
18, to open the Sheffield Institute for Translational Neuroscience. A visit to the Sheffield
Cathedral and a visit to the Sheffield University were also on the agenda.

Pic 1 is for the brooch fans :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery ** daylife **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom