Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 22: August 2010-June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just.... wouldn't the cheese smell to high heaven? I am thinking about smell not taste, having never tasted it I don't know, might love it!! Sorry if I upset you...

Didn't upset me at all :) I have this thing where I don't seem to be able to smell cheeses - my father loves a cheese called 'Stinking Bishop' - personally I can never smell it although it's supposed to be one of the smelliest cheeses. However, I do think that cheese loses some of it's smell when cooked but I am probably in the minority :lol:

The Queen accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh opened Alnwick Youth Hostel, Northumberland and attended
a garden reception and lunch at Alnwick Castle, hosted by the Lord-Lieutenant of Northumberland today, June 22.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages/AP/reuters gallery **

Politics aside - I don't even really know the politics (just saying) - I really do think the current British PM Cameron is one handsome dude :p, helped along by the fact that he's a real spiffy dresser. A pleasure to watch - always well-turned-out.

And thread-nap - hip-hip-hooray to his wife for not wearing any of those silly hats at the recent nuptials! Yes! :whistling:

I like the Queen's skirt - reminds me of one I had once. She's looking very cool and summery. Pleasant smile - a bit too much make-up, but maybe necessary at her age?

Last edited:
@ Tortilla Chips-Wish I had your ability not to smell stinky cheese LOL!!

Last edited:
Stilton and watercress tart sounds fabulous to me! I love Stilton. The stinkier the cheese the more I love it. Compared with some, I don't find Stilton particularly smelly though. I've never been embarrassed carrying it on the bus, unlike a nice ripe Port Salut. :lol:

I'd love to try Stinking Bishop!

Politics aside - I don't even really know the politics (just saying) - I really do think the current British PM Cameron is one handsome dude :p, helped along by the fact that he's a real spiffy dresser. A pleasure to watch - always well-turned-out.
Agree with all the above, plus he seems very down to earth ( in his interview on William's wedding day at least)!

Last edited by a moderator:
An informal portrait photograph of Philip and Elizabeth in the Green Drawing Room at Windsor Castle, by Thomas Struth.

It's the first double portrait of the two, to be commissioned by the National Portrait Gallery (London).

It will be loaned to the National Portrait Gallery of Scotland (Edinburgh).

Portrait photo of Queen and Philip

Goodness, I don't find this photo to be "tender" of them at all. They are so far apart and not even touching.. I wish there was a larger photo so one could see them more clearly.

I would not call that photo " tender", I would say, " regal , grim,and stiff"

Last edited:

That's definately not a portrait of the couple where the husband once called his wife his "Tigerlily" within the "hearing" of lipreaders....And it's so sickly greenish....

Three perfect adjectives to describe the photo, roseroyal. They both look quite miserable to be sitting together.. Odd.

Yea, it almost looks like they weren't ready for the picture... I think we all know how regal Elizabeth can look, and this picture just doesn't achieve that.

Yea, it almost looks like they weren't ready for the picture... I think we all know how regal Elizabeth can look, and this picture just doesn't achieve that.
Yes, and it would have been nice to see her wonderful smile...!

It looks as if they don't want to be photographed, or be anywhere near each other for that matter. The green-ness gives a rather sickly atmosphere. Perhaps a retake will be done.

Oh, poor Lilibet...

I have to confess I found the "Untouchables" a bit stiff...

I'd also add a "lifeless" quality to the portrait. Ok it may be a formal portrait but they didn't have to look like they were in a wax museum. I'd seriously love to see what Testino would have done for the occasion.

Hopefully there will be more official photos taken for the Diamond Jubilee (and hopefully by a different photographer).

Hopefully there will be more official photos taken for the Diamond Jubilee (and hopefully by a different photographer).

I hope so too. Not only has HM been Queen for going on 60 years now but she's also had Philip by her side and supporting her for every day of those 60 years and they've had a marriage that would put most couples to shame. A portrait is supposed to be an art form that somehow expresses the people in it rather than a still life. This recent photo I really think leaves the viewers wanting and as I previously said, could be a model for Madam Tussand's.

The Duke of Edinburgh has paid his final visit to the University of Cambridge today, June 23,
before he stands down as Chancellor at the end of the month.
Who is taking his place? The Duke of Cambridge perhaps?.... ;)

I'd also add a "lifeless" quality to the portrait. Ok it may be a formal portrait but they didn't have to look like they were in a wax museum. I'd seriously love to see what Testino would have done for the occasion.
Lifeless, flat, dull.... Oh one could go on and on....:sleep:

I agree, its a startling picture - because we're we're so accustomed to hype, now, to the cheesecake smiles.

It is uncomfortable (IMO because outside our current comfort zone) but it is subtle - and true. This is old age. The Duke is 90 years old - look at him - he is moving into another realm of consciousness, as is the Queen. This is a real picture - and hats off. At that age, after 60 years, you 'touch' without even trying - its why I wonder how long the surviving spouse will live once one of them passes. At this scale of years, one goes the other is not far behind.

P.S. Look carefully - the Queen is smiling, so is the Duke.

I agree with the quote from the article -

Paul Moorhouse, curator of The Queen: Art & Image, and the National Gallery's curator of 20th century portraits, said: 'Thomas Struth's portrait is a sensitive evocation of individuals within a magnificent setting composed in terms of light, colour, textures and formal arrangements.'It is also a subtle exploration of human relationships.'

Yep....

Last edited:
Who is taking his place? The Duke of Cambridge perhaps?.... ;)

No, it's the Princess Royal - back in April/late March the University announced that she would follow her father.
She was elected to the role by the university's general council :flowers:

Yesterday, June 23, the Queen received the President of the Republic of Namibia, His Excellency Hifikepunye
Pohamba, during a private audience at Buckingham Palace, London.

** Pic **

Today, June 24, Queen Elizabeth visited The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery at St. John's Wood Barracks,
Ordnance Hill, London.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages/daylife gallery **

Last edited:
Today, June 24, Queen Elizabeth visited The King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery at St. John's Wood Barracks,
Ordnance Hill, London.
** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Pic 1- Stunning, gorgeous, beautiful smile, love the outfit, and the color combo!
Pic 2- HM's idea of heaven on earth!;):flowers:

I can imagine that Her Majesty enjoyed that particular engagement. I love her smile in the first picture.

Do you mean the pink and purple outfit? Or the hurt the eyes outfit?

No, it's the Princess Royal - back in April/late March the University announced that she would follow her father.
She was elected to the role by the university's general council :flowers:

Why not Charles?
He actually attended Cambridge, so he seems the logical choice.

Why not Charles?
He actually attended Cambridge, so he seems the logical choice.

As did Edward or course.

Who knows why Anne was chosen - but I would expect that the different members of the royal family discussed the issue before the relevant body of Cambridge made their decision.

I suppose the fact that Charles is the Chancellor of Aberystwyth University might also have had something to do with it. He is also the Chancellor of the University of Wales and Bangor University in North Wales.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom