Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 22: August 2010-June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody is perfect. We all have flaws. With that stated, and even though
I am almost positive that major royals do not read this forum, a very 'Happy 90th Birthday' to HRH Prince Philip/HRH the Duke of Edinbrough(?) of the United Kingdom. HRH has been known for his 'questionable attributes' in public and in private and his sometimes 'uppity' attitude to others. He is what he is and has never apologized for his public persona. I say 'bravo' to him. If he and QEII could bottle and patent their 'genes' for longevity, then maybe HM could finally retire knowing she and her consort have a never-ending financial nest egg to rely on! Again, HB to Prince Philip!

IT's the Queen's Cup at Guards Polo Club today. I'm just off [but late...................] still, it's only 10 minutes away.

Will report back later,

Alex

Many Thanks to Diarist

It's always fun to read your commentary! I appreciate it and I'm sure others do as well!

Just the same as us....

I love those pictures, The Queen looks like a different woman.
I love the pics, ( the Quen eating lunch on her lap is my fav) and the wonderfully human tales. that make one feel
" They are just the same as us"
To everyone else The Queen Mother was THE Queen Mother.
But to Margaret she was just a wonderful aunt.
I found the details of the Queen Mum's death , especially moving, very touching, cannot wait for the next part to come out!

Philip - the longest-serving royal consort in British history ....

but this achievement will be overshadowed by the Queen's Diamond Jubilee...

I think it may be one I call the Commonwealth Rose - not because I know any provenance for it, just that HM has quite often worn this one for events related to the Commonwealth. I don't hae a really wonderful photo of it, but this is it....

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/gillweb/Brooches%20and%20jewels/Commonwealthroseredcrosslaunch2005-.jpg

Oh yes - it looks like an inch below the main brooch HM is wearing her "gold Blue Peter" badge. The competition the young lass won was run by the famous UK children's TV program of that name and HM was presented with the gold badge some years ago. (For those who don't know, Blue Peter badges are much coveted and are presented to guests or others doing something the show considers worthwhile. They are usually white plastic with the show's emblem in blue.)

I've changed my mind on this one and now think it could be the Australian Hibiscus brooch instead.

On June 10, the Queen has met the Premier of Western Australia, Colin Barnett and his
wife Lyn, during an audience at Buckingham Palace in London.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

:previous:HM is certainly wearing an interesting dress there!

My thoughts exactly, Thena! HM has been wearing several of these blinding prints lately. I much prefer her in lovely jewel toned solids or pastels. But.. Her smile in pic #1 is just beautiful as usual...

My thoughts exactly, Thena! HM has been wearing several of these blinding prints lately. I much prefer her in lovely jewel toned solids or pastels. But.. Her smile in pic #1 is just beautiful as usual...

I found some photos of HM wearing this multi coloured silk dress in 2008 - wonder if there are any earlier events...?

Last edited:
I like the fabric and the color and the print. Since HM now has a matronly figure, the pattern keeps the eye moving and doesn't settle on a big lump of peach or other pastel summer color. However, it could be that she just liked the fabric.

Prime Minister David Cameron and his wife Samantha with Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh outside
Number 10 Downing Street on June 21, 2011 in London. The Camerons have invited the Duke of Edinburgh and
the Queen to Downing Street to celebrate The Duke's 90th birthday.

** Pic ** gettyimages/daylife **

BBc news report/video of the visit to Number 10

BBC

Philip - the longest-serving royal consort in British history ....

but this achievement will be overshadowed by the Queen's Diamond Jubilee...

Hasn't he been the longest serving consort for 2 years?

I'm not sure whether - or for how long - he has been the longest serving consort.

What interested me was the difference between "Diamond Jubilee" and a "mere" period of sixty plus years of looking after his wife.

I'm trying briefly to put myself into his shoes.....

On April 18th 2009 he overtook Queen Charlotte with the record of 57 years and 70 days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a tad alarmed that HM appears to be hunching a bit. I know she is 85, but I don't remember her being forward-leaning at the first of the year. Anyone know anything?

I'm a tad alarmed that HM appears to be hunching a bit. I know she is 85, but I don't remember her being forward-leaning at the first of the year. Anyone know anything?

Although not may photos show it, HM has had a stoop for several years. It's only noticeable from th eside, and many photos are from the front, of course.

The Queen accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh opened Alnwick Youth Hostel, Northumberland and attended
a garden reception and lunch at Alnwick Castle, hosted by the Lord-Lieutenant of Northumberland today, June 22.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages/AP/reuters gallery **

A couple comments:
1. Stilton and watercress tart sounds disgusting.
2. The PM bows very elegantly.
3. The Queen seems like she must be very speedy changing her outfits on a day when she has multiple engagements. Loved both outfits: the contrast between the formal and the informal. but wearing gloves on both occasions of course.;) The perfect image of a Queen as always!:flowers:

The Queen accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh opened Alnwick Youth Hostel, Northumberland and attended
a garden reception and lunch at Alnwick Castle, hosted by the Lord-Lieutenant of Northumberland today, June 22.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages/AP/reuters gallery **
Yea! One of my very favorite outfits! The Queen looks lovely as always! What a wonderful smile!

The all outfit is beautiful , and that type of hats suits to HM amazing :flowers:
That wonderful smile told everything :queen3:

A couple comments:
1. Stilton and watercress tart sounds disgusting.

This continues the point I always make to friends, that life would be boring if we all had the same views (although it is extremely frustrating when people don't have the same views as me :lol:) but I read this and thought, oooh yummy :)

It's just.... wouldn't the cheese smell to high heaven? I am thinking about smell not taste, having never tasted it I don't know, might love it!! Sorry if I upset you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom