Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 22: August 2010-June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
QUEEN'S GOT A DERBY DREAM - mirror.co.uk

Carlton House was slashed to 6-4 favourite to give the Queen a historic first Derby victory as he blew away his opponents in York's Dante Stakes.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Horse that made the Queen yelp

It's the Queen’s life-long ambition to own a horse that wins the Derby. So few could blame her yesterday for yelping, yes yelping, with delight.

In her private quarters at Windsor Castle, decorum was thrown out of the window when the 85-year-old monarch’s horse Carlton House won at York – and was installed as clear favourite for next month’s Epsom classic.

This must be one of the few times the world has seen HM without her being perfectly tended to by a hairdresser

Last edited by a moderator:
My thought as well. I had to look twice to make certain of what was abit off with HM's look!

My thought as well. I had to look twice to make certain of what was abit off with HM's look!
She looks FUZZY! :D (I'm sure it's the way the light reflects on her hair.)

This must be one of the few times the world has seen HM without her being perfectly tended to by a hairdresser

I read a long time ago that HM styled her own hair. The only time it was done by a professional was when it was cut and permed. Can't cite anywhere.

Just to clarify, if you are not allocated tickets in the way Gill has been, tickets for Trooping the Colour are available in a draw [lottery] and I think the maximum is two; more tickets are available for the two rehearsals, maximum of 4 I think...
Thanks for the advice Alex, but arrival time is out of my hands. As I'm going with a military group I suspect they will have it all timed off to a tee, as they get to organise this every year! I've had all the jargon about what we can/can't, should/should not, do /have/bring.

Just got back from 5 days of fun at the Royal Windsor Horse Show. I have much to report, but it will have to wait a bit because work calls. However, I am delighted to report that the Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh were very much 'on form'. Yesterday [Sunday] The Duke was driving his carriage and took part in the display and parade......not bad for someone in his 90th year - some of his fellow competitors were young enough to be his grandchildren. The Queen was particulaly beautifully dressed on Saturday [Pink] and Sunday [pale bright green]. I've got some nice photographs. I have to say that although the RWHS is essentially a 'fun, private occasion for her', she nevertheless works hard at maintaining a very real presence and it is very touching to see staying so late - the Tattoo did not finish until well past 10.30pm on Saturday for example. I have to say that I am starting to feel very protective to her, I just want to say ' slow down, don't tire yourself too much, we need you' etc

Back soon

Alex

It sounds like you had a grand time yourself.
As in photos I've see lately of the DoE, he still can live to the adage 'you're only as old as you feel" and I think his wife is right there with him.
Glad they had a grand weekend.

It is the preview day and Royal Preview Evening and Charity Preview at Chelsea Flower Show tomorrow[Monday 23rd]. The Queen and Prince Phillip are expected, [together with various other royals: Probably the Prince of Wales, also The Countess of Wessex etc. Princess Michael usually rolls up with a minibus full of her friends who she artfully 'treats' to to the Royal review, although really it is up to the organisers, the Royal Horticultural Society, to invite non-royals to the Royal Preview.] I have the privilege to be attending the preview day and the Charity Reception, but expect to be kicked out for the duration of the Royal Visit, which falls in between the Preview and the Charity Reception. I will hopefully be able to observe from a distance though, even if it is only from the road as the Royals arrive.....

Alex

Sorry, but the Queen would NEVER divulge information she shares with her prime ministers, and especially not with her Private Secretary.

She is always extremely well briefed.

Last edited:

Today, June 1st, Queen Elizabeth attended an Investiture Ceremony at Buckingham Palace again:

** Pic ** gallery **

And she knighted Jerry Mataparae, Governor-General Designate of New Zealand in a private
ceremony.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages/daylife **

Last edited:
Oh my! the fashion designer looked like she messed up on her own hat, it looks as if a someone placed a feather duster atop her head!

Do you suppose it could be another Phillip Treacy concoction?? It is amazing how the Queen is able to keep a straight face... But perhaps she is used to it by now with her York granddaughters wearing silly hats!

Today, June 2nd, Queen Elizabeth received His Excellency the Ambassador of Burma, Mr. Kyaw Myo Htut (1),
His Excellency the Ambassador of France Mr. Bernard Emie (2) and presented The Queen's Medal for Music
to Dame Emma Kirkby (3) in London.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga gallery **

What a lovely pic of the Queen with Dame Emma Kirkby (3). She looks so happy to be presenting the medal to her.

What a lovely pic of the Queen with Dame Emma Kirkby (3). She looks so happy to be presenting the medal to her.
What do you think of the dress? Personally I thought it a bit loud, however, HM always looks lovely, IMO.

Tomorrow is EPSOM DERBY DAY and there are not many in the country who dont wish HM to win her first Derby! The 3 year old colt Carlton House is a gift from Sheikh Mohammed, he and HM swapped horses and the Sheikh refused to take any money.

Carlton House, despite a last minute injury scare, seems to be fit and will go as favourite into the competition, ridden by Ryan Moore, trained by Sir Michael Stoute.

GOOD LUCK!

Gift horse can crown the Queen’s Derby dream - Other Sport - Sport - People.co.uk
THE DERBY 2011: Carlton House declared fit after injury scare | Mail Online

Oh lucky Queen! The Isles of Scilly are amazingly beautiful and peaceful, expecially if you venture to the smaller islands! They are part of the Duchy of Cornwall and if you're rich enough you can rent a cottage owned by the Duchy!

The Queen looks lovely and the bright colors are very nice but I have to say that I am NOT a fan of all the wild florals that have been chosen for her, too close to curtain and drapery fabric, imo. Some days her ensembles are lovely and others ... not so much.

June 1st, Queen Elizabeth attended an Investiture Ceremony at Buckingham Palace and knighted the GGl Designate of New Zealand
Love both of The Queen's outfits, with their eye-popping colors- perfect for spring!
Oh. My. Gosh. That makes Beatrice's hat look nice!:eek:
Here are some pics of the visit to Isles of Scilly today, June 3rd
Love both outfits!
Today, June 2nd, Queen Elizabeth received His Excellency the Ambassador of Burma, the Ambassador of France and presented The Queen's Medal for Music
Makes my head and eyes ache! ( the dress)

The Queen looks lovely and the bright colors are very nice but I have to say that I am NOT a fan of all the wild florals that have been chosen for her, too close to curtain and drapery fabric, imo. Some days her ensembles are lovely and others ... not so much.

Personally I think she looks best in the solid colors. As you said, the patterns look too chintzy and in a way I think makes her look a bit dowdy. I've never been a fan of prints so maybe its just me. Although, the pattern she wore with the outfit in these pics, this ensemble does look good on her. The hat sets it off.

On May 26, the Duke of Edinburgh made a visit to Royal Air Force Kinloss where he also
attended a disbandment parade, Forres.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

On May 31, the Duke of Edinburgh as Patron of the Model Yachting Association, attended
the International Sailing Federation World Championships for the International One Metre
Class at West Kirby Sailing Club, Sandy Lane, Wirral.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** Duke of Edinburgh visits Wirral for model yachting world championships in West Kirby **

** gallery: Duke of Edinburgh visits West Kirby Sailing Club **

** BBC: In pictures: Royal visit for Wirral model yacht race **

Today, June 8, the Duke as Honorary Life Member of the Royal Aero Club of the United Kingdom
presented the Aero Club Cup to Mr. David Hempleman-Adams at Buckingham Palace.

** Pic ** belga gallery **

Last edited:

Queen Elizabeth met the Ambassador of Vietnam, Vu Quang Minh, at an audience at Buckingham Palace on June 8, 2011 in London.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom