The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Administrator

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have visited Warwickshire to open a
new one-stop justice centre and the Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC)
theatre, March 4, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** zimbio 1 ** zimbio/gettyimages **

** Queen officially opens RSC theatre and justice centre **

** Thousands cheer the Queen in Stratford **

Old 03-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Courtier

I heard a most welcome rumour last night - that immediately after attending CHOGM in Perth, Western Australia, Her Majesty is considering attending the 2011 Melbourne Cup. How exciting!

Given her great passion for horse racing and her personal involvement in the industry, it is likely that, if circumstances permit, she will attend this major event for the first time: it has often been reported over the years that she regrets not having had the opportunity to do so before and wishes to do so, at least once. The 2011 Melbourne Cup is to be held two days after CHOGM on November 1st.

One of her horses, Arabian Story, contested the Melbourne Cup – the grey finishing 6th to Might and Power in 1997. It would be grand if one of her horses were accepted to participate this year, particularly if she's to be in attendance.

I do so hope that both her schedule and her stamina enables her to fly over for this truly national event. How very popular it would be.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Heir Apparant
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Week Team Member

Queen Elizabeth II And The Duke Of Edinburgh Visit Warwickshire. March 04, 2011

Getty Images - Browser non supportato rilevato

Belga Picture
Old 03-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I think it is great - something that has been done for centuries with regard to monarchs but these days it seems that no one can see the humour anymore.
True, but the monarch was dead. The best example yet of the Queen going modern!

I think she would be amused, as I am.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
I heard a most welcome rumour last night - that immediately after attending CHOGM in Perth, Western Australia, Her Majesty is considering attending the 2011 Melbourne Cup. How exciting!
That is indeed exciting news, Polly. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have HM there, especially if she has a starter in the Cup!

I've been to the Cup a few times, including twice in the Chairman's Club, which spoilt me for ever doing it any other way. It's a very exciting day, and Flemington always turns on a splendid show. I'm sure HM would enjoy it very much. I hope it comes to pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
The palace has annouced the Queen is going to Ireland
My goodness!
Old 03-05-2011, 05:38 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Knee pain forces Queen to give up horseriding - Telegraph

The Queen is reported to have given up riding, one of her favourite pastimes, due to chronic knee pain.

It is understood that the condition has led to the installation of a £1 million lift at Sandringham, her estate in Norfolk.

The Queen, 84, is understood to need an operation that could require up to four months of recuperation.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Nobility

Daily Mail has similar article
Chronic knee pain forces the Queen to give up horseriding | Mail Online

The Queen has been forced to give up riding, her favourite pastime, because of chronic knee pain.The condition has also meant that she has had to have a £1million lift installed at her Sandringham home, the Daily Mail has learned.
The Queen, 84, is understood to need an operation that could require up to four months’ recuperation.
It has also emerged that the dais she uses to award medals and knighthoods at Windsor Castle has been lowered to ease her discomfort, Buckingham Palace confirmed. The change of a few inches means she does not have to stoop to pin accolades on recipients.
Read more: Chronic knee pain forces the Queen to give up horseriding | Mail Online
Old 03-05-2011, 07:06 PM
Majesty

I wonder what she'll do now for exercise?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I wonder what she'll do now for exercise?
I think it might have been some time since HM did any strenuous riding so her fitness shouldn't suffer for not being able to ride even though I am sure she will miss it. She's always enjoyed walking, and hopefully her knees won't stop her enjoying a good stretch of the legs on a nice, flat stretch of ground. But if she can't do much of that, there's always swimming and we know she has a very nice covered, and, I assume, heated, pool at BP. So no excuses for her!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Aristocracy

It must have been very difficult for her to give up riding. This is something she has loved to do since she was a little girl.

Perhaps this summer she can have the knee procedure done and recover at Balmoral?

I've had sciatica myself and I can tell you it is incredibly painful. Unfortunately not much can be done about it. HM is one brave woman to be able to go about her duties without showing how much pain she must be suffering.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

If it really will take 4 months to recover properly I would suggest it won't be done for some time - April has the wedding, June - Trooping the Colour and Philip's 90th, July another wedding so August but - she has CHOGM in Australia in October. I think any surgery might have to wait until she returns from Australia in November - 4 months from her return and the State Opening of Parliament would be late March - April 2012 - in time for the Jubilee and Olympics.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Courtier

Such a shame the Queen has to give up something she loves. I wonder how she is taking the news
Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 AM
Serene Highness

How unfortunate that the Queen will have to give up horse riding, I kind of feel bad for her! But on the other hand how nice that she's visiting Ireland!
Old 03-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If it really will take 4 months to recover properly I would suggest it won't be done for some time - April has the wedding, June - Trooping the Colour and Philip's 90th, July another wedding so August but - she has CHOGM in Australia in October. I think any surgery might have to wait until she returns from Australia in November - 4 months from her return and the State Opening of Parliament would be late March - April 2012 - in time for the Jubilee and Olympics.
Perhaps she can put it off that long. But injuries have a way of demanding treatment at the worst possible time.

I'm thinking that a 4 month recovery period means a major procedure or even replacement of the knee. No "keyhole" procedure this time.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Aristocracy

i hope it's not a knee replacement. my boss, who's barely 60, has got one and the recovery has been long and painful. not to mention that the operation itself was quite long...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

So sorry to hear the surgery news. However, she has a very strong constitution and this will surely help. Just for reference, my mother had BOTH knees done year before last and she was up and at 'em 8 weeks later (at the end of therapy). My mother was 81 at the time. Mom also has a very strong constitution.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Queen Elizabeth received Hungary's ambassador to Britain, Janos Csak, as
he presented his credentials at Buckingham Palace in London March 8, 2011.

** Pic ** belga **
Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Queen Elizabeth during an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace, London,
March 10, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga **
Old 03-14-2011, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Queen Elizabeth pictured at a desk with microphones after recording her
Commonwealth Day address (that is broadcasted across the world today),
at Buckingham Palace on March 4, 2011 in London.

** Pic ** zimbio/gettyimages gallery **

** PA: Queen: Women are agents of change **

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip attending the Commonwealth Observance Service at
Westminster Abbey on March 14, 2011 in London.

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery ** belga **
Old 03-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy1716 View Post
Daily Mail has similar article
Chronic knee pain forces the Queen to give up horseriding | Mail Online

The Queen has been forced to give up riding, her favourite pastime, because of chronic knee pain.The condition has also meant that she has had to have a £1million lift installed at her Sandringham home, the Daily Mail has learned.
The Queen, 84, is understood to need an operation that could require up to four months’ recuperation.
It has also emerged that the dais she uses to award medals and knighthoods at Windsor Castle has been lowered to ease her discomfort, Buckingham Palace confirmed. The change of a few inches means she does not have to stoop to pin accolades on recipients.
Read more: Chronic knee pain forces the Queen to give up horseriding | Mail Online
I am surprised that she has had to give up riding altogether (though the article says for the time being so hopefully it's not permanent). Even if she is just trail riding (treking) at a walk, she would be able to get out and enjoy her favorite sport. I wonder if the issue is with her left knee, which bears all of the weight when mounting and dismounting. I remember when I broke my right elbow, it was fine while I was riding, but getting off was nigh on impossible because I had nothing to lean against when I swung my right leg back and over the top. Finally I did it 'cowboy style' by swinging the leg forward over the neck. Luckily my Duchess is a saint and couldnt care less.

Closed Thread