Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 22: August 2010-June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen has issues a message of condolence to the American president for the losses suffered in last week's storm outbreak in the South.

Of course, her son is supposed to visit the president at the White House today on a trip that had been arranged weeks ago, so he can express her condolences in person.

The Queen has issues a message of condolence to the American president for the losses suffered in last week's storm outbreak in the South.

Of course, her son is supposed to visit the president at the White House today on a trip that had been arranged weeks ago, so he can express her condolences in person.

That was so nice of The Queen to send condolences with Prince Charles.The press is very good here on Prince Charles visit. We are always happy to welcome Prince Charles.

GillW, you wrote for tickets to the HQ Household Division or did you receive a personal invitation from the Palace? I will be seated in the stands too.

Neither actually. I work for a large NHS Trust, which has around 300 military reservists on the staff. I was nominated by a Director of the Trust to be one of the guests of the Military contact who helps with the co-ordination of the deployment of the reservists and their employment with us, in recognition of some recent important work I have been doing (and being aware that I am a keen Royal-watcher who would appreciate the opportunity - as I do!)

Yesterday, May 4th, the Queen has received the Ambassador of the Slovak Republic
Miroslav Wlachovsky (1) and the Ambassador of Montenegro Ljubisa Stankovic (2)
at Buckingham Palace in London.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Thanks for the pics, ice

Talk about major makeover

In the Newmarket photos HM looks like Errol Flynn playing Robin Hood.

By the tone of your post, I gather congratulations are in order. But I don't know what I'm congratulating you about. Will you please educate this royalphile?

There are very limited tickets available for the seats in Horseguards Parade each year for the royal ceremony known popularly as Trooping the Colour. People can apply for tickets (well in advance) but it's is not easy to get them. On the other hand, some organisations and groups have a small allocation (maybe 4 or 6) which it is in their power to use. I've been very lucky to be invited by one such group, through my work, to enjoy the event with my husband, this year. It is, I don't doubt, the only chance I will ever have to be there in person, for an event I have watched on TV for more years than I care to think and which at one time, for a few years, I visited to stand and wait for about 7 hours in the Mall, to witness just the ride-past & later the fly-past.

Dear Gill, you are not lucky, but rather you deserve the honor. You have worked hard to finally get the reward you deserve. Congratulations!

Queen Elizabeth during an investiture ceremony at Windsor Castle today, May 6, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga **

I'm curious about those investiture ceremonies. I know that in addition to the Queen, the Prince of Wales and maybe the Princess Royal do investiture ceremonies. But what I'm curious is whether the level of honor being presented is related to who is doing the presentation? In other words, does the Queen usually is the only one giving the higher honors, while the others give out lower-level honors? Or are they all about the same and it's only a matter of whose turn it is to do the ceremonies, schedule, etc?

As far as I know, the POW and the PR are qualified to bestow higher level honors as well. Mainly it depends on schedule.

I like the Queen's sturdy pumps with that green dress. Anyone know what size foot she has? I never noticed how small her feet look - and I was thinking about how much time she spends on them.

I'm curious about those investiture ceremonies. I know that in addition to the Queen, the Prince of Wales and maybe the Princess Royal do investiture ceremonies. But what I'm curious is whether the level of honor being presented is related to who is doing the presentation? In other words, does the Queen usually is the only one giving the higher honors, while the others give out lower-level honors? Or are they all about the same and it's only a matter of whose turn it is to do the ceremonies, schedule, etc?

Not at all - the Honour is the same whoever gives it as they confer the honour on behalf of and in the name of, the Queen.

I like the Queen's sturdy pumps with that green dress. Anyone know what size foot she has? I never noticed how small her feet look - and I was thinking about how much time she spends on them.

Don't know 100% for certain but looking around at BRF wedding dresses and such one place had a picture of the shoes HM wore with her wedding gown and it stated they were a size 5. I can remember think what tiny feet she has.

Not at all - the Honour is the same whoever gives it as they confer the honour on behalf of and in the name of, the Queen.

I think that's right :flowers:

Queen Elizabeth had another engagement today, May 6, that wasn't listed in the official calendar,
she visited St George's School in Windsor, toured the school and watched a ballet demonstration
from the school's summer show. And that in a wonderful fresh outfit with a lovely hat:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** gettyimages/zimbio gallery ** gallery **

I do hope the color is that represented in Photo #1. HM and her dressmaker and hatmaker have certainly lifted the bar on her ensembles. Love 'em.

In the Newmarket photos HM looks like Errol Flynn playing Robin Hood.

I don't remember Erroll wearing that color! LOL

Last edited:

Queen Elizabeth had another engagement today, May 6, that wasn't listed in the official calendar,
she visited St George's School in Windsor, toured the school and watched a ballet demonstration
from the school's summer show. And that in a wonderful fresh outfit with a lovely hat:

I like how the detail in the hat is subtly reflected in the brooch.

I don't suppose anyone knows what kinds of handbags HM carries with her? She has a very nice structured one in that first picture.

Thanks for everything you do Ice. Those last pictures of Queen Elizabeth are a joy to look at. Her smile and the gleam in her eyes is priceless. I love how she chooses her wardrobe. Always fascinating.

Her Majesty carries Launer handbags and has fir years though I would not be surprised if she does have some other bags as well.

There are very limited tickets available for the seats in Horseguards Parade each year for the royal ceremony known popularly as Trooping the Colour. People can apply for tickets (well in advance) but it's is not easy to get them. On the other hand, some organisations and groups have a small allocation (maybe 4 or 6) which it is in their power to use. I've been very lucky to be invited by one such group, through my work, to enjoy the event with my husband, this year. It is, I don't doubt, the only chance I will ever have to be there in person, for an event I have watched on TV for more years than I care to think and which at one time, for a few years, I visited to stand and wait for about 7 hours in the Mall, to witness just the ride-past & later the fly-past.

Thank you for the explanation, I appreciate it. Congratulations!!

Love the Queen's outfit. She looks wonderfully happy! Isn't this the school Lady Louise goes to?

Her majesty's wardrobe choices are wonderful, loved her look at the wedding, Her designer certainly knows what she's doing.

Her Majesty carries Launer handbags and has fir years though I would not be surprised if she does have some other bags as well.

Oooh, thanks! The Launer handbags definitely match the one in the picture that I was looking at. Sadly, it's a bit out of my price range.

Dear Gill, you are not lucky, but rather you deserve the honor. You have worked hard to finally get the reward you deserve. Congratulations!

Just to clarify, if you are not allocated tickets in the way Gill has been, tickets for Trooping the Colour are available in a draw [lottery] and I think the maximum is two; more tickets are available for the two rehearsals, maximum of 4 I think.

Different arrangements apply for Foreign Nationals - who can make an application to their Ambassador or High Commissioner. I can give anyone who is interested more details.

By the way, I am off to the Ceremony too - one of my favourite Royal Events of the year. Whilst it is wonderful to be at Horseguards, lining the Mall is also an excellent way to see the Carriages and the Bands; if you make your way to Buckingham Palace, you can see the Royals appear on the Balcony and watch the Fly-Past. IF you stand in St James's Park ou can also see some of the Ceremony even if you do not have a ticket; actually, you get a very good view of the assmebling Life Guards and the Blues and Royals.

Gill - do get there as early as you can - Security searches take for ever. I hope to see you there. I am in the stand just in front of the Dais. Since umbrellas are forbidden, a waterproof mac is a good idea as well....

Have fun,

Alex

Just to confirm: Investitures used to be held solely by the Queen, but she now shares the burden with the Prince of Wales and sometimes the Princess Royal. This is for two reasons: First, the Queen is s-l-o-w-l-y cutting down on some of her programme; she now tends to depart for Windsor on Thursdays and returns to London on Mondays or sometimes even Tuesdays.... Secondly, the list of people awarded honours is increasing, but the ceremony takes an hour or so, not more, and so additonal invesitures have to be held. And as people have said above, the validity of the award is not affected by the status of whoever is presiding.

By the way, it is one of the Queen's favourite 'more private' events coming up this week: The Royal Windsor Horse Show. I am attending on all 5 days. I wonder if Catherine will turn up very briefly at one point......

Different arrangements apply for Foreign Nationals - who can make an application to their Ambassador or High Commissioner. I can give anyone who is interested more details.

Foreign nationals are able to apply directly to the Household Division HQ, too (I did, successfully).

Diarist said:
The Royal Windsor Horse Show...I wonder if Catherine will turn up very briefly at one point......
I highly doubt it unless Prince William goes too. Catherine is reportedly allergic to horses anyway. I wouldn't hold my breath, but maybe she'll surprise us. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Foreign nationals are able to apply directly to the Household Division HQ, too (I did, successfully).

Sorry, what I was trying to say is that Foreign Nationals in effect get a 'Second bite of the cherry' so if they are unsuccessful in the ballot, if they also get an application in to their Ambassador/ High Commissioner hopefully they will be successful in this respect...
Alex

I highly doubt it unless Prince William goes too. Catherine is reportedly allergic to horses anyway. I wouldn't hold my breath, but maybe she'll surprise us. :)

Well, I have seen Catherine at the Polo on a good few occasions, so here's hoping.... I will have my camera at the ready for any Royals I see, so hopefully I will have something to share with my fellow forum members here.....

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom