Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 22: August 2010-June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it really will take 4 months to recover properly I would suggest it won't be done for some time - April has the wedding, June - Trooping the Colour and Philip's 90th, July another wedding so August but - she has CHOGM in Australia in October. I think any surgery might have to wait until she returns from Australia in November - 4 months from her return and the State Opening of Parliament would be late March - April 2012 - in time for the Jubilee and Olympics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a shame the Queen has to give up something she loves. I wonder how she is taking the news

How unfortunate that the Queen will have to give up horse riding, I kind of feel bad for her! But on the other hand how nice that she's visiting Ireland! :D

If it really will take 4 months to recover properly I would suggest it won't be done for some time - April has the wedding, June - Trooping the Colour and Philip's 90th, July another wedding so August but - she has CHOGM in Australia in October. I think any surgery might have to wait until she returns from Australia in November - 4 months from her return and the State Opening of Parliament would be late March - April 2012 - in time for the Jubilee and Olympics.

Perhaps she can put it off that long. But injuries have a way of demanding treatment at the worst possible time.

I'm thinking that a 4 month recovery period means a major procedure or even replacement of the knee. No "keyhole" procedure this time. :sad:

i hope it's not a knee replacement. my boss, who's barely 60, has got one and the recovery has been long and painful. not to mention that the operation itself was quite long...

So sorry to hear the surgery news. However, she has a very strong constitution and this will surely help. Just for reference, my mother had BOTH knees done year before last and she was up and at 'em 8 weeks later (at the end of therapy). My mother was 81 at the time. Mom also has a very strong constitution.

Queen Elizabeth received Hungary's ambassador to Britain, Janos Csak, as
he presented his credentials at Buckingham Palace in London March 8, 2011.

** Pic ** belga **

Queen Elizabeth during an investiture ceremony at Buckingham Palace, London,
March 10, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga **

Last edited:
Daily Mail has similar article
Chronic knee pain forces the Queen to give up horseriding | Mail Online

The Queen has been forced to give up riding, her favourite pastime, because of chronic knee pain.The condition has also meant that she has had to have a £1million lift installed at her Sandringham home, the Daily Mail has learned.
The Queen, 84, is understood to need an operation that could require up to four months’ recuperation.
It has also emerged that the dais she uses to award medals and knighthoods at Windsor Castle has been lowered to ease her discomfort, Buckingham Palace confirmed. The change of a few inches means she does not have to stoop to pin accolades on recipients.
Read more: Chronic knee pain forces the Queen to give up horseriding | Mail Online
I am surprised that she has had to give up riding altogether (though the article says for the time being so hopefully it's not permanent). Even if she is just trail riding (treking) at a walk, she would be able to get out and enjoy her favorite sport. I wonder if the issue is with her left knee, which bears all of the weight when mounting and dismounting. I remember when I broke my right elbow, it was fine while I was riding, but getting off was nigh on impossible because I had nothing to lean against when I swung my right leg back and over the top. Finally I did it 'cowboy style' by swinging the leg forward over the neck. Luckily my Duchess is a saint and couldnt care less.

On March 11, the Duke of Edinburgh has visited the Prince Philip Centre
Physically Disabled Able Bodied Club in Leeds.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

That was my first thought as well... Keep it up, Sir!

I really like Pic 3... well done Phillip! Keep it up!

General David Petraeus has met with Queen Elizabeth during an audience at
Buckingham Palace on March 22, 2011 in London. He later met with Prime
Minister David Cameron as well.

General David Petraeus has met with Queen Elizabeth during an audience at
Buckingham Palace on March 22, 2011 in London. He later met with Prime
Minister David Cameron as well.

The Queen does get to meet a varied lot in her role. Query what the conversation was about?

The Queen does get to meet a varied lot in her role. Query what the conversation was about?

Just off the wall my guess would be the situation in Libya.

I recognise the name, but what is the General's role? Is he British military?
The Queen looks wonderful in that color.... but then she always looks wonderful!

The Queen always looks regal in royal purple! The color and style of HM dress is stunning...

I recognise the name, but what is the General's role? Is he British military?
The Queen looks wonderful in that color.... but then she always looks wonderful!

He is a US General.

The Queen does look lovely.

Thanks... I should have known that, but I do not watch the news about the war... too depressing! If the Queen wanted news about the war in Afghanistan, wouldn't it make more sense for her to see the British General?
Don't get me wrong, it is wonderful that she cares about US troops. But wouldn't it be easier/faster to talk to the leaders in the UK military?

Thanks... I should have known that, but I do not watch the news about the war... too depressing! If the Queen wanted news about the war in Afghanistan, wouldn't it make more sense for her to see the British General?
Don't get me wrong, it is wonderful that she cares about US troops. But wouldn't it be easier/faster to talk to the leaders in the UK military?

I am sure that she talks to UK generals but she is also knowledgeable enough to ask other people for their perspectives and knowledge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom