The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Administrator

I would imagine that the Queen is briefed before meeting people except maybe in a receiving line unless they stand on her shoulder. Otherwise it would be a bit obvious that she doesn't remember you as she goes down the line. I would also expect that if the Queen has met someone before, her staff would advise of such a meeting.

Regardless, unless you are speaking to a family member privately, I find it a bit rude to suggest in a public article that someone might be losing it. Surely the British public has a right to know if the monarch is not well and if she is losing her memory but 1) Charlotte Church NOT be the one to do it and 2) or it shouldn't be announced in a magazine but rather via Buckingham Palace or the British Prime Minister.

I am sorry but I find it tacky.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Imperial Majesty

I agree totally that it is tacky for someone like Miss Church to make such a comment.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Serene Highness

Having friends who are older than I it has been interesting as the years have worn on to see them make the traverse into older age before me. While I do see a small percentage keep their wits about them in toto into their 70's and 80's (a few of my relatives are into their 90's and amazingly sharp, still) - something does seem to start happening about the 70's.

These older folks seem just as 'sharp' in a sense but their 'awareness universes' seem to shrink. I am thinking of a friend of mine in her mid 70's who is living an exceedingly busy life - working part time while helping raise a grandson - yet when one really talks with her one becomes aware that she is not the woman she was at 45. There are whole swatches of events that she is not clear about - though she is absolutely dead-on about the present and what needs to be done, etc. Like someone with dyslexia, I realize that she is 'coping' with a shift and unless one is made aware through a slip one would believe that she is 'fine'. And she is fine really - but she is not the same as she was even 10 years ago.

The effects of aging are slow - and it can really be hard to identify when its happening in a way that approaches impairment of faculties. Iluvbertie's comments are pertinent - that no matter anyone's opinion of Ms Church personally (and I do think that she said this - if she really said it - in an off-the-record off-the-cuff kind of way) - HM would have been briefed, would have had the information given her 'you have met Ms Church 6 times before' etc. At 45 HM could sustain that briefing - at 85 she may not be able to - she forgets, gets confused - the precursor to appearing 'doddering' to the onlooker. Its what happens.

I find it interesting that greetings were sent to Australia from HM and The Prince of Wales as well - is this the norm? I think we need to see Charles stepping up to the plate more - there may come a time when he really will need to be the primary Royal while his mother has the privacy to have an old age. That to me seems only human - not anything to rail against. Its just the way of life. Prior to this I have had the sense that hints have been given that HM may start to step back a bit, with Charles stepping forward more as her representative. That this comes now is interesting (and so close on the heels of that powerful and heart breaking scene - that all of us who have had to deal with failing parents can relate to - in 'The King's Speech' with the ailing King George).
Old 01-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Aristocracy

Another case of Daily Fail! I'm pretty sure there will be a "out of context, never said that" comment from Ms. Church pretty soon.

Nothing about Ms. Church strikes me as memorable, but maybe I'm biased. I don't like ageism.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
So you are suggesting that the Queen would be rude enough to not acknowledge meeting someone before, even if she remembered doing so or had been advised 'look at this command performance you have meet xyz before but not abc'. For Miss Church to say that the Queen doesn't remember meeting her would mean that the conversation had gone along those lines and I would expect a properly advised Queen, who hasn't started loosing it, to say something like 'we meet last year didn't we?' even if she actually doesn't remember the meeting she would have been advised about who was who - or so we are told (that she is briefed about everyone that she is about to meet).
I'm very sure HM is not rude in anything she does - ever.
But there is a difference between making a big show of "How lovely to see you again" and a polite but bland acceptance of an introduction without any acknowledgment of prior meetings.

Given these pronouncements and some other behaviour of Ms Church, it could easily be that she has even mistaken the Queen's customary formality and thinks that she is not recognised when it's simply that HM is just not one to gush over people - even her nearest & dearest - in public.

If, in fact HM does not find Ms C a particularly charismatic or attractive person, I'm sure she would never be so insincere as to feign an affinity which simply does not exist.

(She may like the lady's singing talents but dislike her other attitudes and behaviours...in the same way as some other people do - myself included)
Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Hear, Hear! Well said, Gill, and I couldn't agree more.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Recently, the Queen acted in a most gracious manner with Michelle Obama, who was waaaaaaaayyyy outside the limits of polite protocol when she hugged HM. I'm sure Obama had been briefed that one doesn't touch the Queen. I am in total agreement with you, Gill.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Has anybody ever thought Miss Church might be making this all up to attract attention?
She's not with Celtic women any more and just released her first album in 5 years in October. What a coinky dink it might not be doing oh so well and a little slip of the tongue might generate sales? Hmmmm?
Old 01-07-2011, 06:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

She's bored and she's no longer making the headlines with her weight loss or her children or the end of her marriage etc.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Majesty

The same thought occurred to me. Any celebrity is pretty well guaranteed a headline by being negative about the Queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Has anybody ever thought Miss Church might be making this all up to attract attention?
Old 01-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Royal Highness

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...y-2179148.html

Not sure which forum to post this in but figured this would be ok-
Old 01-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Gentry

Now for the moment we all knew was coming...
Welsh singer Charlotte Church apologizes for remarks about Queen - NYPOST.com

"I am deeply sorry if my comments about Her Majesty the Queen caused offense,” she said. "I am honored to have met her and have an enormous amount of respect for her and what she does."

Old 01-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Courtier

Exactly as predicted!! I bet she doesn't learn and makes another unfortunate comment when she's ready for more publicity!!
Old 01-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Heir Apparent

" I have enormous respect for her and what she does."If CC truly did, she would not have made remarks like that." I did not expect my remarks to go public". Well, what did you expect? You are a public figure.Too little, too late.Overall, very disrepectful woman. And too high on her horse.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Look at your flaws Miss Church, before you are critical of the Queen's. You have more of them.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Nobility

You know, her comments were ridiculous and disrespectful, however, I do have to give CC credit for at least owning that she made the comments in the first place instead of trying to claim that she was misquoted entirely. She's entitled to her opinion, no matter how idiotic it might be.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Kate Middleton and Prince William wedding: You'll work on big day Queen tells palace staff | Mail Online

Not sure what to make of this.

Not letting the staff at homes not affected by the wedding celebrate the national day seems a bit off but then she will be able to make more money and the royals never miss a chance to increase their income as they often cry poor to the government and taxpayers, particularly for the upkeep of their homes - so maybe this will help with that maintenance.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:24 AM
Administrator

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh attended a Sunday church service at
St Mary Magdalene church on the royal estate at Sandringham in Norfolk,
January 9, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **
Old 01-10-2011, 05:45 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Prince Philip's mystery black eye - mirror.co.uk

Prince Philip appears to be sporting a black eye as he arrives for church with the Queen at Sandringham yesterday.

Philip is Prince of darkness | The Sun |News

Prince Philip revealed a black eye as he walked to church yesterday - sparking fears he may have had a fall.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:02 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well he isn't getting any younger, and he's busier than any man his age. I hope he's okay.