Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 22: August 2010-June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The sign is disgusting! Very disrepectful, and very poor taste!

The sign is disgusting! Very disrepectful, and very poor taste!

I don't know. As a sailor's wife, the queen could well have a little laugh about that... Doesn't the duke call her "Tigerlilly" sometimes?

I think it is great - something that has been done for centuries with regard to monarchs but these days it seems that no one can see the humour anymore.

Isn't it illegal to use the likeness of a member of the Royal Family in advertising? Couldn't this sign be considered advertising?

I could go either way on this. HM really hasn't cultivated an image of a tough woman, not like our Gert Boyle who's CEO of Columbia Sportswear where this sort of image is common place.
boyle+columbia+branding+tough+mother.jpg

Isn't it illegal to use the likeness of a member of the Royal Family in advertising? Couldn't this sign be considered advertising?

As pubs have used caricatures of monarchs for centuries to advertise their pubs the answer would have to be a 'no' as the precedent is very strong that this sort of thing is legal.

As pubs have used caricatures of monarchs for centuries to advertise their pubs the answer would have to be a 'no' as the precedent is very strong that this sort of thing is legal.

But normally that is for deceased monarchs. I thought they could get in trouble for using images of the current monarch in this way without permission. I think the royals ignore it these days though as otherwise it just makes more publicity for the people who do it.

Message of condolence following the earthquake in New Zealand, 22 February 2011

The following message was sent by The Queen to New Zealand Prime Minister John Key:

I have been utterly shocked by the news of another earthquake in
Christchurch. Please convey my deep sympathy to the families and
friends of those who have been killed; my thoughts are with all those who
have been affected by this dreadful event. My thoughts are also with the
emergency services and everyone who is assisting in the rescue efforts.

ELIZABETH R

Queen Elizabeth has received the Ambassador of Japan Mr Keiichi Hayashi and
the Ambassador of Portugal Mr Joao de Vallera during private meetings at
Buckingham Palace, London, February 23, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga **

Queen Elizabeth II Visits 36 Engineers Regiment And The Queen's Gurkha Engineers in Invicta Park Barracks on February 24, 2011 in Maidstone, England. During her visit the Queen inspected the 36 Engineer Regiment and The Queen's Gurkha Engineers as well as meeting regimental families and commissioned three Gurkha Late Entry Officers.

Pic1 Pic2
Getty Images gallery

Nice ensemble. Contrasting pockets and lapels seem to be back in favor for the ladies of the BRF.

The Queen (in springlike green :)) has received His Excellency the Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop
Antonio Mennini and His Excellency the Ambassador of the Russian Federation, Mr Alexander
Yakovenko at Buckingham Palace, London, 2 March 2011.

The Queen (in springlike green :)) has received His Excellency the Apostolic Nuncio, Archbishop
Antonio Mennini and His Excellency the Ambassador of the Russian Federation, Mr Alexander
Yakovenko at Buckingham Palace, London, 2 March 2011.

Great photos. Many thanks Iceflower.
This is the first time I have been aware of The Queen having her handbag on her arm, for these presentations. Usually she places it on a chair she will be sitting on.
Wonder why the difference this time?

:previous:
Joye, at the presentations of the Ambassadors, High Commissioners etc in posts 345, 351 and 370 HM has her trusty handbag on her arm.
From the beginning of this thread see also posts 31, 33 and 39 (page 2) - HM is handbagged.

Last edited:

You're welcome, joye! I always wonder how heavy her handbags are, I can't
imagine that they are as much filled as normal handbags are..;)

Today, March 3rd, Queen Elizabeth presented poet Gillian Clarke with her Gold
Medal for Poetry watched by Poet Laureate Carol Ann Duffy at Buckingham
Palace.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

:previous:
Joye, at the presentations of the Ambassadors, High Commissioners etc in posts 345, 351 and 370 HM has her trusty handbag on her arm.
From the beginning of this thread see also posts 31, 33 and 39 (page 2) - HM is handbagged.

Thankyou for the many posts of The Queen plus handbag.
How very unobservant I have been.

I heard a most welcome rumour last night - that immediately after attending CHOGM in Perth, Western Australia, Her Majesty is considering attending the 2011 Melbourne Cup. How exciting!

Given her great passion for horse racing and her personal involvement in the industry, it is likely that, if circumstances permit, she will attend this major event for the first time: it has often been reported over the years that she regrets not having had the opportunity to do so before and wishes to do so, at least once. The 2011 Melbourne Cup is to be held two days after CHOGM on November 1st.

One of her horses, Arabian Story, contested the Melbourne Cup – the grey finishing 6th to Might and Power in 1997. It would be grand if one of her horses were accepted to participate this year, particularly if she's to be in attendance.

I do so hope that both her schedule and her stamina enables her to fly over for this truly national event. How very popular it would be.

I think it is great - something that has been done for centuries with regard to monarchs but these days it seems that no one can see the humour anymore.

True, but the monarch was dead. The best example yet of the Queen going modern!

I think she would be amused, as I am.

I heard a most welcome rumour last night - that immediately after attending CHOGM in Perth, Western Australia, Her Majesty is considering attending the 2011 Melbourne Cup. How exciting!

That is indeed exciting news, Polly. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have HM there, especially if she has a starter in the Cup!

I've been to the Cup a few times, including twice in the Chairman's Club, which spoilt me for ever doing it any other way. It's a very exciting day, and Flemington always turns on a splendid show. I'm sure HM would enjoy it very much. I hope it comes to pass.

The palace has annouced the Queen is going to Ireland

My goodness! :ohmy:

Last edited:
Knee pain forces Queen to give up horseriding - Telegraph

The Queen is reported to have given up riding, one of her favourite pastimes, due to chronic knee pain.

It is understood that the condition has led to the installation of a £1 million lift at Sandringham, her estate in Norfolk.

The Queen, 84, is understood to need an operation that could require up to four months of recuperation.

Daily Mail has similar article
Chronic knee pain forces the Queen to give up horseriding | Mail Online

The Queen has been forced to give up riding, her favourite pastime, because of chronic knee pain.The condition has also meant that she has had to have a £1million lift installed at her Sandringham home, the Daily Mail has learned.
The Queen, 84, is understood to need an operation that could require up to four months’ recuperation.
It has also emerged that the dais she uses to award medals and knighthoods at Windsor Castle has been lowered to ease her discomfort, Buckingham Palace confirmed. The change of a few inches means she does not have to stoop to pin accolades on recipients.
Read more: Chronic knee pain forces the Queen to give up horseriding | Mail Online

I wonder what she'll do now for exercise?:sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what she'll do now for exercise?:sad:

I think it might have been some time since HM did any strenuous riding so her fitness shouldn't suffer for not being able to ride even though I am sure she will miss it. She's always enjoyed walking, and hopefully her knees won't stop her enjoying a good stretch of the legs on a nice, flat stretch of ground. But if she can't do much of that, there's always swimming and we know she has a very nice covered, and, I assume, heated, pool at BP. So no excuses for her! :p

It must have been very difficult for her to give up riding. This is something she has loved to do since she was a little girl.

Perhaps this summer she can have the knee procedure done and recover at Balmoral?

I've had sciatica myself and I can tell you it is incredibly painful. Unfortunately not much can be done about it. HM is one brave woman to be able to go about her duties without showing how much pain she must be suffering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom