The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Courtier

She's now an old lady and I, for one, am grateful that she continues to make the effort. One of the newspapers which I read said that she'd written it herself: if so, good for her.

She drew a parallel between the words and meanings in the bible with one way in which they could be expressed - through playing sport. It wasn't a bad analogy, as these things go.

I liked the setting, too.

Old 12-27-2010, 01:07 AM
Aristocracy

I'm an American... and I loved it. .Way better then catching some lame speech from obama The Queen has class, she cares... and she is truly a christian. I love all of that about her.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

6.5 million is actually a rather big rating number. Considering the highest rated show on xmas day was eastenders and doctor who with 11 million viewers.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
6.5 million is actually a rather big rating number. Considering the highest rated show on xmas day was eastenders and doctor who with 11 million viewers.

Were these first run episodes or re-runs? That makes a difference.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:47 AM
Aristocracy

As a loyal subject I look forward to Her Majesty's speech every year and genuinely see it as a welcomed and valuable reflection on the past year. It also gives me as a monarchist, hope for the forthcoming 12 months.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:15 AM
Aristocracy

According to the Guardian today, the official viewing figures were 8.8 million, a 54% share of viewers.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukroyalist View Post
According to the Guardian today, the official viewing figures were 8.8 million, a 54% share of viewers.
Of viewers yes but about 10% of the total population of the nation.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

They were new episodes, and if it was 8.8 million then that is truly impressive. The BBC and ITV kill for those kind of rating numbers. I'm surprised. Well done your Maj!
Old 12-28-2010, 12:00 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Of viewers yes but about 10% of the total population of the nation.
Which is still an awful lot of people, especially on such a busy day like Christmas. It may not be a moment that stops the nation anymore, but it is hardly "the most boring royal event of the year" - short of a story such as a foreign trip or a birth/wedding/funeral it is probably one of the few times that a royal event is on TV and watched by a significant number of people.

I thoroughly enjoy HM's Speech every year, but I did find sport to bit a strange topic. Surley enough has happened this year that she could reflect on?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
Which is still an awful lot of people, especially on such a busy day like Christmas. It may not be a moment that stops the nation anymore, but it is hardly "the most boring royal event of the year" - short of a story such as a foreign trip or a birth/wedding/funeral it is probably one of the few times that a royal event is on TV and watched by a significant number of people.

I thoroughly enjoy HM's Speech every year, but I did find sport to bit a strange topic. Surley enough has happened this year that she could reflect on?
If the Christmas Message isn't the most boring royal event of the year what is?
Old 12-28-2010, 01:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If the Christmas Message isn't the most boring royal event of the year what is?
Maybe the speech when she opens the parliement - I know that the one the Canadian General Governor does certainly is quite boring... n
Old 12-28-2010, 02:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess BellyFlop View Post
Maybe the speech when she opens the parliement - I know that the one the Canadian General Governor does certainly is quite boring... n

The ceremony of opening of parliament is fabulous and the speech actually outlines the government business. It is the one event that actually has a real purpose and has history and tradition. It is the least boring to me as it is the only time when we see the Queen as part of the political process.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Aristocracy

According to The Telegraph, HM was using the analogy of King James uniting different factions of the Christian church through a revised translation of the Bible and comparing go what unites the UK in the 21st century.
I hope it's The Royal Family and a wedding that unifies us all in 2011...
Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukroyalist View Post
I hope it's The Royal Family and a wedding that unifies us all in 2011...
Unifies us against what?
Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh, I do wish the royal ladies would not wear fur.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Oh, I do wish the royal ladies would not wear fur.
Why?
If the animals fur isn't used, then it's just going to be wasted, is it not?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Courtier

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why?
This is not the place for this discussion but NO - dress furs are from animals killed specifically for their pelts and not for any other purpose.
Fur should not be worn as a fashion item - ever.
It's pure murder-for-vanity.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen

Unifies us against what?
Brings the Nation together.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why?

No - as the animal wouldn't have been killed in the first place. The animal is killed purely for its fur and often skinned alive - yes alive - to get the fur to make these coats etc.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic.

TRF is not the place to have a pro and con debate on furs.

Future posts will be deleted.

Closed Thread