Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 21: October 2009-August 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been to see HM several times and although the crowd usually cheer & wave as she approaches, I've always found that they all go quiet as she actually passes. Before mobile phones most people did the same thing with ordinary cameras, so I don't think anything has really changed all that much. It's a bit sad really because if it is your only chance ot see her, you don't feel that you actually have if you only look through either a camera or mobile lens - it's like seeing her on TV. I've made a point of actually putting my camera "down" as the person passes - you might miss the best photo, but you get the best feeling - and she may just smile at you!

Last edited by a moderator:
How wonderful for HM to go to Wimbledon after all these years. Hopefully she won't wait so long to attend again.

How wonderful for HM to go to Wimbledon after all these years. Hopefully she won't wait so long to attend again.

If she intends on waiting another 33 years she will be 117 years old. The real thing is that Wimbledon is and has been for decades the area where the Kent family have their interests and it is the one event of the year where the Kents really show up and everyone expects them to be there. The Queen likes to see members of her family have their niches and doesn't really like to step on their toes. She may go again in the future but I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting.

Good points GillW, I didn't even think of that!
I think your plan of attack (so to speak) is a wise one ... has she ever smiled at You?! :)

Good points GillW, I didn't even think of that!
I think your plan of attack (so to speak) is a wise one ... has she ever smiled at You?! :)

Yes indeed. Most recently was a couple of years ago when my friend and I were lucky enough to be (tourist) visiting Balmoral on a Sunday and found that HM had already arrived in Scotland ahead of the public closure for the summer. We went to Crathie Church for the service and were outside the church door as the car left. We were right next to the vehicle windows (just the two of us where we stood) and we got a lovely smile and a personal wave, just 3 feet away. Wonderful feeling.

Some years ago in my home town too, as I was at the front of the crowd and got a smile as HM walked by, just after my little niece gave her flowers.

I would have felt very rude if I'd been holding up a camera!

Oh gosh, GillW, I'm very jealous indeed! What lovely memories for you!! :)

On June 22 Queen Elizabeth received The Honourable Graydon Nicholas,
Lieutenant Governor of New Brunswick, and his wife Elizabeth, following
his appointment (1) and the Ambassador of Italy Mr Alan Economides as
he presented his Letter of Credence (2).

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The Queen's next gig will be in Scotland - at last.

On the 12th, she will be opening the "John Hope Gateway" at the Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh (RBGE for short), in the International Year of Biodiversity.

I noticed yesterday they have put on a very large new back and yellow security barrier at the Holyrood car park....

Announcement of State Visits to Oman and the UAE, 6 July2010

Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh will pay State Visits to Oman at the invitation of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said; and to the United Arab Emirates at the invitation of His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed al Nahyan, during this Autumn.

Love the outfit. She is still beautiful at 84.

I love it that she always dresses in heather colours when she comes to visit us.

Barbara Braithwaite, a friend of mine in her Seventies, from one of the many Scottish boating clubs/associations, will be presented with an OBE by the Queen.

After leaving Holyrood House, she will have a surprise because some of our members are arranging to welcome her with a "canopy" of oars.

Renata, that will be wonderful! My congrats to Dame Barbara!!!

HM always looks appropriate for every occasion, but I guess she's had a lot of time to perfect her look ;)

Haha, Her Majesty The Queen has become an accomplished gardener: tree-planting in Scotland, only days ago during her tour in Canada. What a life as Queen? But she does it with such grace and style; and I love that woman. Even at 26, I can say that I love and respect her and that she is a beautiful woman. A lot of girls of my age can not conquer her.

Queen Elizabeth during a private audience with Scotland's First
Minister Alex Salmond, at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh,
July 13, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery **

Sorry, Kitty Atlanta,
there will be no "Dame" Barbara! That's equivalent to getting a knighthood!

She's just getting a normal "gong" for doing loads of community work etc.
But she'll love it all the same!

Yesterday, July 13, Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh also
attended a garden party at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh,
Scotland.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Today, July 14, the first of several events has been the official opening
of the Plainstanes performance area at the Midsteeple, Dumfries, Scotland.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Oops! Well, with all that charity work, your friend Barbara is still a "dame" to me!

Well said, Kitty ! :)

I'm really pleased the Queen chose the region of Dumfries and Galloway as a destination. It has a border with England.

The area gets flooded regularly, so the people would have particularly appreciated HM's visit.
I used to have a a static caravan just across the Border near Carlisle, and flooding is very common either side of the Border.

Prince Phillip, The Duke of Edinburgh attended the Presentation Receptions
for The Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award holders,on July 16, 2010 at the Palace
of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh. Since 1958 The Duke of Edinburgh Awards
has challenged over six million young people around the world to try new
things, learn more about themselves and work together for their own benefit
and that of their local communities.

Good to see Prince Philip in such a great mood, laughing and smiling!

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** zimbio/gettyimages **

I love the DofE award.
He looks so happy.

What a trooper he is! And still a good looking dude!! ha!

The Queen as Air Commodore-in-Chief presented a replacement Sovereign's
Colour to the Royal Auxiliary Air Force and Squadron Standards to Number
2620 (County of Norfolk) Squadron Royal Auxiliary Air Force Regiment and
Number 2623 (East Anglian) Squadron Royal Auxiliary Air Force Regiment
at RAF Marham, King's Lynn, Norfolk, July 18, 2010.

** Queen's praise for RAF reservists **

** Queen praises auxiliary troops **

** belga gallery **

** zimbio/gettyimages: Queen Elizabeth II Visits RAF Marham **

Last edited:
I really don't know why The Queen Mother's former Lady-in-Waiting, Lady Angela Oswald, is on one of the pictures with the Queen at RAF Marham yesterday. Perhaps an extra Lady-in-Waiting?

Which picture is she in?
She may not be there to be a Lady-In-Waiting, she might be there for the event itself.
HM looked wonderful in purple.

Yesterday Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip hosted a reception for winners
of the Queen's Awards for Enterprise at Buckingham Palace on July 19,
2010, in London.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Today, July 20, the Queen met the Ambassador of Nicaragua Carlos Arguello
Gomez (1) and the High Commissioner of Malaysia Datuk Zakaria Sulong (2),
during a private audience at Buckingham Palace, London.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga **

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip viewed the 'The Queen's Year' exhibition,
which will be open to the public as part of the annual Summer Opening of
Buckingham Palace, from 27 July to 1 October 2010 - London, July 22, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom