Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 21: October 2009-August 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucky Duchess of Devonshire.
HM looking wonderful as always. :)

Is there a ban on photos for Easter? No one has posted photos of the BRF going to church this Easter.:);):)

Gordon Brown is tenth leader to seek a brief audience with the Queen - Times Online

Today the Queen will interrupt her Easter stay at Windsor Castle to drive up to London to meet Mr Brown before returning in the early afternoon to host a reception. Before she reaches the Palace, Christopher Geidt, her Private Secretary, will ring Jeremy Heywood, the Permanent Secretary at No 10, to finalise the timing of their meeting.

Well interesting we have a Date so what exactly is the Queens role in this Election ???

Well, as the symbolic head of the executive power, the Queen had
to officially approve the requested dissolution of parliament by Prime
Minister Gordon Brown.

Today, the Queen and Prince Philip also attended a reception held at
Windsor Castle for the Bloomsbury Qatar Foundation Publishing Project,
April 06, 2010 in Windsor, England. On pic 2 you can see Her Highness
Sheikha Mozah bint Nasser Al Missned.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** zimbio ** belga **

Essentially she doesn't have a role in the election. As head of state only she can dissolve parliament but she only does so when the Prime Minister asks her [which Gordon Brown did today]. She signs the writs allowing election in each constituency but that is about it. She doesn't get involved again until after the election when she asks the person who can command the confindence (and as such majority) in parliament to form her government. Usually that means how ever has the largest majority is asked by HM to form a government. However at the moment the polls sugest that it may be that no party wins an outright majority and thus HM's role becomes more difficult.

Election 2010: So what happens if nobody wins? - Telegraph

Gordon Brown could lose and still be Prime Minister - Telegraph

BBC News - FAQ: The general election

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/feb/14/queen-power-hung-parliament

Investitures with Queen Elizabeth inside the Waterloo Chamber
at Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berkshire, April 13, 2010:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

Queen Elizabeth keeps an eye on her horse Sally Forth, with trainer
Roger Charlton, as it parades for The Bathwick Tyres Handicap Stakes
at Newbury racecourse on April 16, 2010 in Newbury, England.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

A successful weekend for the Queen! Her horse Tactician won the race
at The racinguk.com Maiden Stakes, at Newbury racecourse in Berkshire,
April 17, 2010. So she was able to collect the winners trophy and looked
very proud and happy :)

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** belga ** zimbio **

An additional gallery with pics from yesterday:

** Queen Elizabeth II At the Newbury Racecourse **

Prince Philip opens Fitzwilliam library | Varsity Online

Students and staff of Fitzwilliam College were treated to a visit from the Chancellor of the University, HRH the Duke of Edinburgh, as part of an official opening ceremony for the £5 million New Library & IT Centre, designed by Edward Cullinan Architects.

HM looks FABULOUS! Thanks Ice! :flowers:
I would LOVE to take tea with HM and discuss horse blood lines. I have read she has extensive knowledge of that subject.
(Then Russo might go to the track and make a couple wagers. . . :whistling:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Must be interesting for her to be the one accepting the award rather than the one handing them out.:flowers:

Oh, Mermaid, I soo agree with you! To be on the receiving end for a change must be ... just heavenly.

Must have been a confusing moment..:D

Prince Philip presented the Polar Medal to Dr. Fausto Ferraccioli
at the British Antarctic Survey, in Cambridge today, April 20, 2010.
On the following pic he examines the Polar Medal with Dr. Eric Wolff.

-----> Pic

I didn't think about it that way, Ice. You do have a good point there.. :)

Hopefully, the Duke will be just fine and the "minor injury" will be just that.. "minor." Also, the groom will be fine, as well.

Hope the Duke is better soon. His desire to continue with his duty and his life, come what may, is always very inspiring!

I think it's impressive the way both the Queen and the Duke keep up the pace they do. I wish the Duke a speedy recovery.

And so nice to see the turn out!

QEII and DoE are both very popular, attracting crowds no matter what occasion. The Monarchy is secure as long as she is on the Throne. No republican could seriously attemp to dislodge her.

Good to see Prince Phillip seems to be having no residual problems from the carriage mishap the other day!
They are both amazing role models for all of us.
God Save The Queen! Long may She continue to Reign!

I couldn't agree more, Lillibetforever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom