Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 21: October 2009-August 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cruise sounds great. I hope she has a wonderful time. She definitely deserves it!

Any lady who works as hard for her country as QEII does, deserves what ever vacation she would like at her age.

Beautifully said, Scooter. I agree 100%...

On the other hand - how would you feel if you had saved and planned to have your trip cancelled so she can have the ship.

She should have booked it ages ago so that other people weren't put out in their plans.

I know many will say that they wouldn't mind being kicked off their planned holiday by the Queen but that isn't the view of many others - seems to be a situation where the Queen says "I want and I don't care about others who have planned, paid for and organised their trips".

This is a huge no no for a monarch to think that they can ride roughshod over the people and something she rarely does but in this case I do think that she is wrong - book if for 2011 before others get a chance to do so but don't do it this year forcing others to change their plans.

It's the first time I see the Queen wearing that kind of scarf. Nice. :flowers:

On the other hand - how would you feel if you had saved and planned to have your trip cancelled so she can have the ship.

She should have booked it ages ago so that other people weren't put out in their plans.

I know many will say that they wouldn't mind being kicked off their planned holiday by the Queen but that isn't the view of many others - seems to be a situation where the Queen says "I want and I don't care about others who have planned, paid for and organised their trips".

This is a huge no no for a monarch to think that they can ride roughshod over the people and something she rarely does but in this case I do think that she is wrong - book if for 2011 before others get a chance to do so but don't do it this year forcing others to change their plans.
Bertie, I'm sure there are more ships available if need be. The cruise industry isn't exactly thriving in this economy and several lines would be happy to put one at the disposal of the people.

Bertie, I'm sure there are more ships available if need be. The cruise industry isn't exactly thriving in this economy and several lines would be happy to put one at the disposal of the people.

My point is 'why should they have to change their plans etc because one elderly woman has the money and influence to kick them off their preferred ship of choice'?

This is very poor decision making on the part of the Queen.

I know that if I had booked a cruise on that ship at that time I would be really peeved at having to cancel due to the whims of the Queen and the company would also never get my business again and I would bad mouth that company to anyone else asking me about them - I would be saying very simply - you can't trust this company as they will gazump your tour if someone with more money asks them to do so. This could actually hurt the company more than help.

:previous:They wouldn't have to change their plans if another ship offered to take everything over. Problem would be solved. Everyone could go on their merry way and HM could have a lovely vacation.

:previous:They wouldn't have to change their plans if another ship offered to take everything over. Problem would be solved. Everyone could go on their merry way and HM could have a lovely vacation.

Sorry but if they are like me even the choice of ship is part fo the planning process and obviously if other ships were doing the same trip then the choice of ship was part of the decision to do the planned trip. Being put on to another ship changes the plans and therefore is not the same holiday as the one planned. There may be a number of reasons for choosing that ship in the first place but the Queen has simply said 'I want' and her subjects have no come back - just like an autocrat. That is how this comes across to me and I have lost a lot of respect for her over this.

Sorry but if they are like me even the choice of ship is part fo the planning process and obviously if other ships were doing the same trip then the choice of ship was part of the decision to do the planned trip. Being put on to another ship changes the plans and therefore is not the same holiday as the one planned. There may be a number of reasons for choosing that ship in the first place but the Queen has simply said 'I want' and her subjects have no come back - just like an autocrat. That is how this comes across to me and I have lost a lot of respect for her over this.

For the love! Did you have tickets for this cruise bertie??! Or do you just enjoy being miserable?

For the love! Did you have tickets for this cruise bertie??! Or do you just enjoy being miserable?

No and no.

But I do know the disappointment and anger that follows a cancelled tour and I do know how I would feel having planned a trip to be told - sorry you can't go know because the Queen wants the ship. I would be p....d right off and extremely angry with the company and the Queen for ruining my planned holiday.

No and no.

But I do know the disappointment and anger that follows a cancelled tour and I do know how I would feel having planned a trip to be told - sorry you can't go know because the Queen wants the ship. I would be p....d right off and extremely angry with the company and the Queen for ruining my planned holiday.
Well why don't you keep us abreast of the situation then. And we shall proceed from there.

Well why don't you keep us abreast of the situation then. And we shall proceed from there.

I am sorry but I don't understand this post.

Could you please explain what you mean?

I am sorry but I don't understand this post.

Could you please explain what you mean?
From what I understand from the article they have been compensated handsomely and offered other dates to travel. You said you would be rather put out were it you. I haven't heard from the travelers if they are disgruntled. I wondered if you had and if you could report it and we would proceed with our discussion from there. Clear now? :D

From what I understand from the article they have been compensated handsomely and offered other dates to travel. You said you would be rather put out were it you. I haven't heard from the travelers if they are disgruntled. I wondered if you had and if you could report it and we would proceed with our discussion from there. Clear now? :D

I don't know how, from my posts, you could have gathered that I was one of those passengers 2which means that your post just totally baffled me as it made no sense in the conversation.

If I was one of these passengers I would not be accepting compensation but making a huge stink in the media about the way the Queen rode roughshod over her subjects.

I hope by being compensated handsomely they were paid back at least 10 times what they paid and guaranteed lifetime of free travel - but even then that is no guarantee with this company is it, so the guarantee would have to be with another company paid for by this company and/or the Queen who has said 'I want' and got - sounds like a medieval autocrat to me.

It seems that most people on here think that the Queen can do no wrong - well I don't. I think, on this occasion, she is very much in the wrong but no one here seems to care about her subjects or others who have had to change their plans, compensated or not.

...no one here seems to care about her subjects or others who have had to change their plans, compensated or not.
But since you're doing all the caring (and complaining) on behalf of ALL the [silently] disgruntled ex-passengers there's no further need for anyone to do anything while you're bearing their angst and waving their flag so valiantly in the face of overwhelming disinterest. :flowers:

I don't know how, from my posts, you could have gathered that I was one of those passengers 2which means that your post just totally baffled me as it made no sense in the conversation.
I don't know how, from my posts, you could think that. Might I suggest you re-read the thread? I took great pains to be quite clear as Warren is all too aware of Russo's ADD and has had to clean up her repetitive mess and goo on more than one occasion.

:D

If I was one of these passengers I would not be accepting compensation but making a huge stink in the media about the way the Queen rode roughshod over her subjects.

I hope by being compensated handsomely they were paid back at least 10 times what they paid and guaranteed lifetime of free travel - but even then that is no guarantee with this company is it, so the guarantee would have to be with another company paid for by this company and/or the Queen who has said 'I want' and got - sounds like a medieval autocrat to me.

It seems that most people on here think that the Queen can do no wrong - well I don't. I think, on this occasion, she is very much in the wrong but no one here seems to care about her subjects or others who have had to change their plans, compensated or not.

Are you actually aware of the mechanics around the ship being secured for HM? How likely is that HM would have ordered that others passengers holidays be cancelled? A reasonable guess is that BP would have asked the company if they could be available for HMs chosen dates. It is really the decision of the company whether they prefer to charter the ship for HM or run a scheduled cruise.

If you have already decided that you want to be annoyed about the matter, you are perfectly within your rights to be so, but I have not read anything in this context that particularly justifies it!

It's time we left the disembarked cruise ship passengers to fend for themselves and so avoid continuing to escalate an unexpected shorebreak into a tsunami.

Thanks.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Well I'm thrilled to pieces that HM made a donation for Haitian relief. It's a lot more than some of her contemporaries have done.

Prince Philip attended the morning service at St. Mary
Magdalene Church on the Sandringham Estate - 24 January 2010.

---------> Pic

Only natural for one to wonder where was HM

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually the Queen travels by car so that could be an explanation - no one bothered to take a photo of her but did of Philip as he walked and seems to be walking towards the crowd to greet them.

How the Duke shocked royal onlookers - Norfolk News - EDP24

When the Duke of Edinburgh suddenly lurched forward while leaving a morning service at Sandringham Church yesterday shocked onlookers feared something was wrong.

However, their concerns were soon allayed when it transpired the Duke was simply doing his bit to keep Britain tidy.

He is such an adorable grump -- I'm not surprised that he was tidying up a bit and probably muttering a few choice words about whoever had dropped the litter. :) And, he's leading by example!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom