The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 05:07 AM
Imperial Majesty

Nick Clegg today issues a call for this week's Queen's Speech to be scrapped and replaced by an emergency programme of reform designed to "clean up politics once and for all".

Nick Clegg: Cancel the Queen's Speech – and save democracy - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

Old 11-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

A Labour candidate has been forced to apologise after describing the Queen as 'vermin' and a 'parasite'.
Peter White, who is standing in next year's local elections, posted the republican diatribe on the social networking site Facebook.
His offensive outburst came as he expressed his opposition to a campaign launched last week by Tory MP Andrew Rosindell to have the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, in 2012, declared a public holiday.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

How shocking and totally disrespectful. I don't understand who anyone could ever think that let alone say it.
I applaud Andrew Rosindell for suggesting her diamond jubilee to be a public holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
Nick Clegg today issues a call for this week's Queen's Speech to be scrapped and replaced by an emergency programme of reform designed to "clean up politics once and for all".
Thats one of the most pathetic things I have ever heard. How stupid of him to even suggest something like that.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
A Labour candidate has been forced to apologise after describing the Queen as 'vermin' and a 'parasite'.
Peter White, who is standing in next year's local elections, posted the republican diatribe on the social networking site Facebook.
His offensive outburst came as he expressed his opposition to a campaign launched last week by Tory MP Andrew Rosindell to have the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, in 2012, declared a public holiday.

That was completely uncalled for. The Queen didn't deserve it and shame on him!!
Old 11-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Holy Schnikies! What's his beef? Is he trying to create waves by saying thing thinking people will remember him and vote for him? Yikes!
Old 11-17-2009, 05:53 AM
Aristocracy

That's one nasty remark. Candidates will just do about anything to get attention these days, won't they? What happened to the good old British class and reserve?
Old 11-17-2009, 06:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

He came unstuck with that one, there are calls/moves to bar him from standing!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

I have no problem with people who prefer republics rather than monarchies - some repulblics work well, some monarchies work well. However, I would not expect a proper, gentlemanly statesman or politician to make such crude and unacceptable remarks. It is not the Queen's fault that she was born into a position of priviledge or power - at least she has used her position to the best of her capabilities as a monarch and has, to my mind, not abused her position. If the person in question wishes to promote the idea of having a republic, them he is surely going about it the wrong way and has hardly endeared himself to such a cause. Any view that is not expressed in a measured, intelligent and considered way in invalid as far as i am concerned!
As for cancelling the Queen's Speech, I'm afraid Mr Clegg needs to remember that just because an election is due next year, it does not mean the procedures of parliament should be changed.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

Ben Elton has launched a foul-mouth tirade against the Royal Family as he shamelessly tried to plug his new book during a tour of Australia.
The novelist called The Queen 'a sad little old lady' and Prince Philip a 'mad old bigot who wishes it was still the war'

Read more: Ben Elton launches sick foul-mouthed tirade against the royal family as he plugs new book on Australian TV | Mail Online

Pathetic excuse for a comedian.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:07 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I don't get it. It's one thing to be against the monarchy -- anyone's entitled to that belief. But to insult The Queen so rudely? What in the world has she done to deserve that?

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 11-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
All of these rather rude slams against the Queen and the RF reminds me of a simple but true adage..

One can never make a stupid person say an intelligent thing.

Don't these folks realize that making comments like that are just drawing attention to their own failings?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:37 PM
Courtier

I rather think that’s the point, Osipi.
He’s promoting his book, after all – so much free publicity at the expense of the Royal Family!
Old 11-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I simply don't understand why people are suddenly making remarks about the royal family personally. There is no reason to insult them.
People need to grow up.
Old 11-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Ben Elton has launched a foul-mouth tirade against the Royal Family as he shamelessly tried to plug his new book during a tour of Australia.
The novelist called The Queen 'a sad little old lady' and Prince Philip a 'mad old bigot who wishes it was still the war'

Read more: Ben Elton launches sick foul-mouthed tirade against the royal family as he plugs new book on Australian TV | Mail Online

Pathetic excuse for a comedian.
I have read the article and have come to the conclusion that he's not funny, he's insulting. Which means he has no talent.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Joye, they are from picture.belga.be!

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh talks to ex-members of the Auxiliary
Territorial Service outside Westminster Abbey at the official opening
of the Royal British Legion's Field of Remembrance on November 5,
2009 in London, England. Hundreds of small crosses bearing a poppy
have been planted in the Field of Remembrance to pay tribute to
British servicemen and women who have lost their lives in conflict.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** gettyimages **
I have been remiss in thanking you for the belga info. Many thanks
Old 11-18-2009, 07:59 AM
Nobility

Any State Visits announced?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

I think the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh are going on a state visit to Trinidad and Tobago and a visit to Bermuda next year!
Old 11-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Nobility

Impossible, that is scheduled to take place this month! But it can be that The Queen remembered to these visits, but nothing announced for next year then?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Administrator

The thread for the trip to Bermuda, Trinidad and Tobago can be found here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9-a-25009.html and will be opened as we get closer to the event.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenElizabeth View Post
Impossible, that is scheduled to take place this month! But it can be that The Queen remembered to these visits, but nothing announced for next year then?
I listened to the Speech, I think what Her Majesty said was that she and the Duke look forward to the visits to Bermuda and Trinidad and Tobago, which are scheduled at the end of this month.
There is only one State Visit announced, the incoming one, from South Africa. So i think, it should be in March.

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Closed Thread