The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Hahaha...if you ask me, she shouldn't have been driving in the first place. Old people really should not be behind the wheel.

I find that last comment offensive.

There are many fine drivers over 80 and I have been in cars with many of them. The smileys don't remove the insult to older drivers but, in my opinion simply adds to it as you are also laughing at them.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Cheap shot at the Queen, Daily Mail. Generally they stay away from the Monarch.

iceflower, you doll, thanks again! I just love those pics. Does the forum still do picture of the month? This one has WIN written all over it.

I don't see it as a cheap shot at all. It was a factual article about the rights of the sovereign and the fact that she is above the law.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:22 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I don't see it as a cheap shot at all. It was a factual article about the rights of the sovereign and the fact that she is above the law.
I don't think the cheap shot remark was made about the article... it was about the no one over 80 should be allowed to drive jab. Which was a cheap shot!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:55 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibetforever View Post
I don't think the cheap shot remark was made about the article... it was about the no one over 80 should be allowed to drive jab. Which was a cheap shot!
But Princejohnny25 said

Quote:
Cheap shot at the Queen, Daily Mail. Generally they stay away from the Monarch.
Referring to the fact that the Daily Mail usually stays away from the Monarch.

It was just reporting on something that was an actual fact, and she should be wearing her seatbelt, for her own safety.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Hahaha...if you ask me, she shouldn't have been driving in the first place. Old people really should not be behind the wheel.
If she is deemed fit enough to be in the driving seat for the kingdom, I am sure she is fit enough to drive!
Old 06-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Nobility

To be fair to HM, many drivers of her generation have found it difficult to get into the habit of using their seatbelts. They learned to drive without them and it has only been in the last 25 years or so that using them has become mandatory. Plus I doubt if she drives herself often enough to get used to using them every time.

My own parents who are about a decade younger than HM had trouble when the law was changed here. But now they automatically buckle up.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I'll take HM behind the wheel any day of the week as opposed to the idiot kids in my neighborhood who run every stop sign they can whilst speeding. . .
Old 06-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
I'll take HM behind the wheel any day of the week as opposed to the idiot kids in my neighborhood who run every stop sign they can whilst speeding. . .

I rarely agree with anything you say but on this occasion I do 200%. Give me careful older drivers any day.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Whoa!! Relax. The two faces was there because it was just a joke! I tease my 80 and 75 year old grandmas often about driving and I don't mean anything by it. So please don't find it offensive! I don't have a problem with the older crowd on the road...as long as their careful. I thought it was quite funny that the Queen was driving without her seatbelt.

I don't know about the older drivers being the preferred ones because they cause accidents too! So sometimes they are just like the teenagers...at least where I'm from. If I have anything against the older drivers, which I don't, it would be drive faster..........But other than that I'm cool with it.

I agree with BMC...my father rarely remembers to put on his seatbelt simply because his generation didn't have too.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Majesty

I'd gladly drive with the three people in my extended family who are 79 to 84 in age. They're old school, careful drivers.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:36 AM
Administrator

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh visited the London 2012 Olympic
Park London, yesterday, June 16, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **
Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Heston Blumenthal's royal feast: Chef to serve up one very unsavoury dish for the Queen | Mail Online

Quote:
And it seems Heston Blumenthal has no intention of adapting his tried-and trusted methods for anyone - not even the Queen.
Tonight the three-Michelin-starred chef will serve the monarch a starter that looks like a bowl of fruit - but actually consists of sweetbreads and other assorted offal, including brains and, it is believed, testicles.
I've seen this dish done on one of Heston's programmes and the guests enjoyed it.

Quote:
As a result, the Queen decided to invite the chef to cater for tonight's dinner, which she will pay for out of her own pocket.
Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Man he is spry and sharp for his age! Long Live Prince Philip!
Thanks Ice!
Old 06-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Indeed he is, Russo, and still well-dressed, to boot! Here's to many more healthy years!

My thanks, as well, Ice. :)
Old 06-20-2010, 05:11 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

The Queen's back at Wimbledon...but will players show her the courtesy of a curtsey? | Mail Online
Old 06-20-2010, 06:42 PM
Nobility

Interesting. Any ideas why the Queen has decided to make an appearance at Wimbledon after all this time?
Old 06-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Aristocracy

Getty pics of the Queen (and some with the Duke of Kent) at Wimbledon:
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Yahoo article: Queen makes 1st visit to Wimbledon in 33 years - Yahoo! Canada News

BBC Sports: BBC Sport - Tennis - Wimbledon 2010 - day four photos
Old 06-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

WIMBLEDON 2010: Murray bows to the Queen as she makes first visit to Wimbledon in 33 years | Mail Online
Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

So glad to see the Queen back at Wimbledon after far too long an absence from the event - lovely to see her presented with a mini replica of the men and women's trophies before she left.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:04 PM
Aristocracy

A: Thankyou Lumutqueen for this link

B: Lovely to see HM at Wimbeldon and to see the players so respectful. Good to see.

C: Re: the 7th photo down on this page where HM is walking past the crowd and they are all standing and taking her photo on their mobile phones rather than greeting, waving or trying to talk to her is rather a disappointing sign of the times,eh?!!! Personally, seeing that wall of people I wondered if HM finds it at all intimidating as it is a wall of people rather than people's happy faces?

Closed Thread