Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 21: October 2009-August 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 2 in North Wales

HM Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh in
Welshpool town centre on April 28, 2010 in Welshpool, Wales.

Looking at the little boy's face expression on pic 2 one may
think that he's been disappointed that the Queen paid more
attention to the Corgi :D And it would be interesting to
know the Queen's thoughts when she was presented with
her portrait in pic 5 ;).

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** Pic 6 **

** zimbio/gettyimages gallery **

Ice, couldn't you see the resemblance to HM in that portrait?? I could.

Russo wonders if HM knew the bloodlines of the corgi she met.:whistling:

How sweet. The portrait of her majesty is wonderful. I love that people still draw ones like that. :D
I feel sorry for the little boy though.

Richard Palmer | Royal blog: My away days with the Queen

I’ve just got back from following the Queen and Prince Philip on two of what their aides like to call royal away days.

Their trips to Caernarfon, Dinas, Bangor, and Llandudno on Tuesday and Welshpool on Wednesday got little or no coverage in most of the national media but were huge stories for local television, radio and newspapers.

How sad. The people certainly seemed to come out in the hundreds and were thrilled to see HM and the Duke. Wonderful to see, imho. Thank you, wbenson, for your pics... and your comments.

Always huge crowds for HM and the DoE. They are greatly loved.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is 88, and I can imagine the Queen being worried about him after his recent accident.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Queen tells Prince Philip: Stop now, you’re 88

Prince Philip has been told to quit carriage driving, on special orders from the Queen.
I'm not sure that I believe this. Firstly, this conversation would have happened in front of no one outside of the two of them if it were to happen. Secondly, we are talking about the 84 year old Queen that still rides a horse wearing a scarf instead of a helmet. :whistling:

Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh visited Norwich, Norfolk
today, May 4, 2010. The visit included Norwich Cathedral and The
Norfolk and Norwich Association for the Blind.

The outfit is identical to the one the Queen has worn at the Royal
Maundy Service on April 1st.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga **

I'm not sure that I believe this. Firstly, this conversation would have happened in front of no one outside of the two of them if it were to happen. Secondly, we are talking about the 84 year old Queen that still rides a horse wearing a scarf instead of a helmet. :whistling:
Quite right Lillibet. :flowers:

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip officially opened one of the
UK's top military buildings, the Permanent Joint Headquarters,
in Northwood London, England, May 6, 2010:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** belga **

I wonder whether HM will head to Windsor this weekend, or remain in London to watch the story develop between the various political parties following the election?

At least today she's in Windsor, muriel, so it could be that she'll
stay there for the weekend as well.

Queen Elizabeth II during an investiture ceremony inside the Waterloo
Chamber at Windsor Castle, Windsor, Berkshire, May 7, 2010:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** belga **

I suspect the answer to whether she needs to return to London will depend on how quickly the parties between them can agree who will form the government.

That's true. In any case, her Private Secretary has set up a temporary office within 10 Downing street.

It's just logistically convenient; the government and the three parties can consult the Private Sec. much more easily.

It also means that HM can keep her distance for a long as possible.
She would not want to be embroiled in the nitty-gritty.

Compare her to Prince Albert of the Belgians: he has had to get involved in all the crises with his Prime Ministers.

HM would want to leave it to the politicians.
Let's not forget that the Uk does NOT have a written constitution!

Thank goodness for that small mercy at a time like this. As few constitutional scholars would envisage such an eventuality when drafting a written document.

That's true. In any case, her Private Secretary has set up a temporary office within 10 Downing street.

I would be surprised if HMs Private Secretary had actually set up temperory office in No 10. My understanding is that the Queens Secretary and the Head of the Home Civil Service are closely liaising, but I would doubt if a temperory office would be set up, especially at No 10. The Palace would always maintain its independence. Also, to quote from the press, No 10 currently has a Scottish squatter in residence!

The Queen is currently in a meeting with Gordon Brown at the minute as he hands in his resignation from the position of PM - afterwards she will call David Cameron and ask him to form a government and he will then become PM

interesting picture of the Queen and Cameron as it was released within minutes of the meeting

also if you look at the framed pictures behind the Queen there is one of William and Harry both in their military uniforms and with William wearing the garter - do we have a released copy of this formal sitting of the two brothers dressed in this way?

Queen Elizabeth met members of the Grenadier Guards after presenting
the regiment with their new colours today, May 11, 2010 in London,
England.
The Queen also paid tribute to the families of Grenadier Guardsmen
killed while fighting in Afghanistan and comrades wounded in action.

Prince Philip attended as well, if you take a close look you can see him
on pic 2 and 4 :)

And pic 5 is quite impressing!

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** zimbio **

And here's an additional gallery of pics with Gordon Brown and
David Cameron at Buckingham Palace today:

** David Cameron Becomes The British Prime Minister In A Coalition Government **

______

That first picture of HM is stunning!:flowers: Prince Philip looks small compared to the other soldiers. Perhaps he has shrunk some with age?:ermm:

Could be, Mermaid1962. When looking at the ones on pic 4 I
would also say that there are some giants in the regiment..;)

The scenery of today's event was great again:

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip reviewed the Company of Pikemen
and Musketeers at HAC Armoury House on May 12, 2010 in London,
England.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 ** zimbio/getty gallery **

Does anyone know what room in Buckingham Palace the Queen received Brown and Cameron?

Are there any set things one says? I assume the outgoing PM simply says "I resign and suggest you send for Mr/Ms. X." Then the new PM says "I accept your request to form a government." Is that about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom