The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillibetforever View Post
Those boots ROCK!! HM is proving she is still the Queen of Style!
Thanks for always giving us all of the great pictures iceflower!
I couldn't agree more Lillibetforever. And she needs them for all that snow.

Happy Christmas to everyone!

Old 12-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Courtier

'Each year that passes seems to have its own character …’ watch The Christmas Broadcast 2009 on YouTube
YouTube - TheRoyalChannel's Channel

Old 12-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Nobility

I have often wondered if "those boots" are her riding boots worn when in uniform, for Trooping the Colour.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florencia View Post
'Each year that passes seems to have its own character …’ watch The Christmas Broadcast 2009 on YouTube
YouTube - TheRoyalChannel's Channel
What a nice touch, for The Royal Anthem to be played by a Trinidad Steel Drum Band.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Courtier

It was an excellent speech as always.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post

I thought is was rather mundane and really rather poorly given as there were way too many pauses which spoilt the flow of what she was saying. I have heard her read many far better speeches than this one. What makes it even worse is that is was recorded ages ago and all of those pauses could have been edited out so that it flowed. I had to watch it about five times to actually get all of it as the breaks were so long I lost concentration on what she was saying - which really wasn't all that much - thanks to the dedication of the servicemen (I agree but nothing unusual there), Commonwealth should talk about things (says that a lot - probably because she knows that the Commonwealth really isn't all that deep in many countries and has no real influence) - ummm - what else - nothing really - 2009 has been a difficult year - yep knew that.

Really rather a nothing speech about nothing.

This is the only speech that she writes herself and really she says nothing of any import.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
Agreed. A really nice speech from the Queen. I like how they interjected footage of events within her speech and tied it in with what she was saying. Made it interesting.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

I completely agree with Iluvbertie about the Queen's Christmas message and I really am rather annoyed at the format used for such an important message. She used to speak for a good 10 or 15 minutes to us directly in a nice setting in one of the palaces and now what with all the disjointed pauses and changes of footage her speech lasts just a few minutes. A montage of footage is fine for a longer documentary but for a five minute speech I want to see HM with her lovely christmas tree behind her in the palace with all the candles and things glowing so it feels Christmassy and abit more festive and more importantly feels like she's invited us in to her home to tell us of her thoughts. It's abit of a cheek really, bearing in mind I missed out on pudding to see her on the TV and they even changed the image at the end just as she was about to smile!! I saw Queen Beatrix's speech and there was lovely music, snow on the palace steps and the camara pans up to a palace window where QB is sitting waiting for us to join her in her office and it's abit more welcoming and cleverly done!
Old 12-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if the Queen wasn't feeling well or sth? She didn't seem like her usual self. Seemed to lack energy.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

It's just come to my mind that ITN are responsible for filming (and presumably editing/formatting) the Queen's Christmas Message and being a more commercial broadcaster it is no surprise that they will have some influence over how the message comes across. But I do get what Opal is saying in that she seemed to lack energy (and a sense of festivity), which must surely be put down to the tv crew getting right on her nerves just as much as they have got on mine this year!
Old 12-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Royal Highness

i've never thought that HM is a good public speaker. she just doesn't seem natural in spite of having done it for as long as she has. however, i think her annual message is sincere and it's always nice to hear what she has to say.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:16 PM
Heir Apparent

I enjoyed HM's Christmas message. I saw it in a place that had a decade in pictures for HM, and I remembered in 2002 she lost both her mother and sister. That was a rough year. Hopefully 2009 wasn't as bad. . . .
Old 12-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Heir Apparent

We we're opening presents when the Queen came on tv and we dropped everything and watched the speech, my dad even recorded it haha it was a great speech as usual well done Your Majesty!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:37 AM
Majesty

Yes, that's the way I receive her messages as well. I think that she's an authentic person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess View Post
however, i think her annual message is sincere and it's always nice to hear what she has to say.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:04 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
Yes, that's the way I receive her messages as well. I think that she's an authentic person.
I agree. I think that HM was very sober in this years Christmas message because the tone of the message was very serious. With the topics ranging from the terrible economy (world-wide) to war in Afghanistan I don't think that we would have wanted to see joviality in The Queen's delivery. I did feel that there was a bit too much of the outside clips cut into the speech... it made it all feel choppy. That was the production companies doing though.

I do have to say that I did enjoy the steel drum rendition of the Anthem.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I agree. I think that HM was very sober in this years Christmas message because the tone of the message was very serious. With the topics ranging from the terrible economy (world-wide) to war in Afghanistan I don't think that we would have wanted to see joviality in The Queen's delivery. I did feel that there was a bit too much of the outside clips cut into the speech... it made it all feel choppy. That was the production companies doing though.

I do have to say that I did enjoy the steel drum rendition of the Anthem.

She has final approval of the speech so it is exactly how she wants it to be - boring and a nothing speech rather than the uplifting one it could have been. It is NOT the production company's fault but hers.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

This years speech seemed different, Her Majesty lacked something.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Commoner

Would she have had to get permission from the dead soldiers families to use the clip of all the coffins being brought thru WB?

It def wasn't up to her normal standard.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki J View Post
Would she have had to get permission from the dead soldiers families to use the clip of all the coffins being brought thru WB?

It def wasn't up to her normal standard.
I don't think so, more likely whoever shot the film in the first place. The BBC or ITV.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I agree. If there was something to be happy about, then the Queen would have shown it in her delivery. Perhaps there were a few awkward pauses, but in the end it is about what she says. I don't see how what production company produces the speech makes a difference to it as Iluvbertie ponted out. I always thought the BBC dealt with these things.

Closed Thread