Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
NO member of Royal family to attend D-Day 65th anniversary | Mail Online
What a mess...

Old 05-28-2009, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

It's disgraceful, and very sad for the veterans who are attending.

That Daily Mail article gives 22,872 good reasons why HM should have been invited and given pride of place. I wonder if Sarkozy understands how mightily he has messed up on this issue.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty...dday/invite/1/

Apparently Her Majesty is "content" about not going.
x
Old 05-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
that was the word used by her spokesperson, I heavily doubt that she is actually content to not be present at the last march of these men. And also what else is BP supposed to say. I feel sad for these men their last march and the queen will not be there. shame on the french and british govts.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I tell you what, the French president and American powers that be, and I am American, lest you think otherwise, are turning this into a complete disaster! The French president seems to be under the impression that the British did not help in D Day, when in fact they played an integral role..... This is just disgraceful.

I've said it once, and I will say it again. President Sarkozy would not know proper etiquette if it hit him on the nose and then shoved itself down his throat!

Talk about a lack for respect. And coming from a man who wasn't even born when WWII occurred. Show some respect! Especially to a woman who even though she could have gotten out of doing anything at all, did all that she could!
Old 05-30-2009, 02:49 AM

my first post on here.
got to see the queen close up in leight last week.
was a wonderful day and something i will never forget.
i never got to thank the guy with the grey beard a and your friend,who passed the couple of hours with stories of the queen.and thanks for shouting her over i dont think she would of come otherwise
anyways here is a link of the video i got of her.
it"s only 20 seconds long
Old 05-30-2009, 03:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
It's disgraceful, and very sad for the veterans who are attending.

That Daily Mail article gives 22,872 good reasons why HM should have been invited and given pride of place. I wonder if Sarkozy understands how mightily he has messed up on this issue.
I'm sure he doesn't care. Or he thinks that dissing the British will go down well at home. This is the guy who refused to spend two whole days in Britain during a state visit while making it abundantly clear that he didn't have urgent business to attend to back in France, he just didn't want to be bothered to accept HM's invitation without making that into a snub too. He's so busy smarming up to Obama to try and make himself into a big deal internationally that I'm sure the feelings of the British and Commonwealth servicemen who fought on behalf of his country are of no account to him whatever.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks for sharing that video, apc nev! That must have been an occasion to remember!
Old 05-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

He is a narcissistic fool if you want my opinion. And like I said, he wouldn't know etiquette, let alone class, respect or manners if they fell on his head.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Heir Apparent

He's likely to set Anglo-French relations back 150 years!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Royal Highness

And more drama!

Apparently the White House wants the presence of Her Majesty during the ceremonies !

Le Figaro - Flash actu : D-Day: Obama veut faire venir la reine

A lesson of class and diplomaty from President Obama, and a well deserved slap to the French Government ....
Old 06-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Aristocracy

Eisenhower Library in Kansas invites Queen Eisenhower library invites queen to D-Day commemoration - Kansas City Star
Old 06-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Majesty

That was a lovely piece of video, I agree. Her Majesty looked wonderful in that pink outfit as well. What a thrill! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
Thanks for sharing that video, apc nev! That must have been an occasion to remember!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Pics 1.6.2009

The Queen host receptions for Riding Masters Quatermasters
and Directors of Music Association at St James's Palace in
London, June 1, 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
. . . . . . . Or he thinks that dissing the British will go down well at home. This is the guy who refused to spend two whole days in Britain during a state visit while making it abundantly clear that he didn't have urgent business to attend to back in France, he just didn't want to be bothered to accept HM's invitation without making that into a snub too. He's so busy smarming up to Obama to try and make himself into a big deal internationally that I'm sure the feelings of the British and Commonwealth servicemen who fought on behalf of his country are of no account to him whatever.
And on that same visit the BRF went out of their way to welcome both he and his new wife to show British support when his approval rating was at an all time low in France! I wouldn't mind betting that that's the last time the best silver is brought out for him.

Perhaps he hates feeling that either he and his country "owe" the Brits anything, not personally and certainly not historically. Never mind, while he is polishing his very best obsequious little squint persona to kiss President Obama's exterior posterior for France, France will not thank him for his shabby shaming of their history, and as for the British? Well let's just say that Franco-British relations have, once again, hit an all time low. Oh wasn't Napoleon vertically challenged as well? Never mind, it will keep. The Commonwealth has a very long memory.

But then again, I think it behoves us to remember that history is often re-written by politicians and I am sure there is a very good case to be made for the D-Day landing actually having launched from the east coast of the United States.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Shame on Sarkozy!
-------------------
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...niversary.html
Old 06-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Goodness, this celebration really has turned into a political and PR debacle, hasn't it?

I really dislike the fact that this military commemoration has been reduced to a political stunt. It really takes away from the true importance of the event -- recognizing the brave service of those who fought that day.

I'm glad the royals will be represented, but I wish it were HM going.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 06-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Shame on Sarkozy!
-------------------
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...niversary.html
Well at least a member of the Royal Family will be there.... Trully a diplomatic mess.

I'am not the biggest fan of Sakozy and his manners, but he's not the only responsable of this sad situation. Blame on the French Foreign office and the Brown Cabinet too... and the coverage by the D... Mail, well known for his sometimes (often) rather xenophobic headlines, made things even worse.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Nobility

Somewhere I saw an idea that the Queen should send Harry and the soldier he took to NY - the one who lost his legs. Sounds like that could trump Sarkozy and Obama!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold View Post
Sounds like that could trump Sarkozy and Obama!
Not trying to get political at all here, just an honest question: what role has President Obama played in the "snub" of The Queen? From what I've read, it was the French government who organized the celebration and failed to send an invitation, and there's an article posted up-thread that the White House wanted The Queen there. Is there something I'm missing?

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Closed Thread

Tags
duke of edinburgh, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii