The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
It's pretty simple: a conflict or war involving major casualties would lead to hundreds or even thousands of letters having to be sent. This would debase the Royal condolences to the status of mass-produced impersonal form letters churned out by a word processor or computer program.
Quite right.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator

In the States, I believe that a general form letter is sent from the President of the US and a general (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong). It does come across as a form letter, but no one has ever complained about that (to my knowledge).

Nonetheless, I can see why it is not done in Britain. Most likely, the family of the soldier is in pain for the loss of their loved one and they are looking for some acknowledgement of their sacrifice.

You can't win either way. I see both points.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

I think that's right, Zonk, but I think in some parts of the US the soldier's congressperson or senator also extends condolences on a more personal level, so that the soldiers' families are hearing from a representative in person.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 09-16-2009, 04:55 PM
Courtier

Queen wants Wootton Bassett to get Royal status for its part in honouring war dead

Quote:
It is a town that has become synonymous with honour, respect, and a deep appreciation for our armed forces.
Ever since two old soldiers gave an impromptu salute as a military cortege passed through in 2007, the town of Wootton Bassett has come to a standstill in silent tribute to the bravery and courage of our war dead.

Now the small Wiltshire market town could find itself being honoured - after the Queen asked Gordon Brown to consider granting it 'Royal' prefix in recognition of its role in the repatriation of British soldiers.
Retired naval officer Bill Thomas wrote to Her Majesty asking if she would consider renaming the town Royal Wootton Bassett to repay the town's patriotism.

The reply from Buckingham Palace reads: 'Her Majesty has taken careful note of your comments requesting official recognition for the village of Wootton Bassett in Wiltshire, in honour of the respect accorded to every fallen soldier, killed during their tour of duty in Afghanistan or Iraq, when their funeral cortege passes through the village from RAF Lyneham. As a constitutional Sovereign, the Queen acts on the advice of her Ministers and I have, therefore, been instructed to send your letter to the Right Honourable Gordon Brown MP, Prime Minister, so that he may know of your approach to Her Majesty on this matter, and may consider the points you raise.'
I think that's a very good idea.
Patriotism and respect for the armed forces are apparently well and alive in that small town, for (as the DM article mentions) every time a fallen soldier is flown home to the nearby RAF Lyneham, hundreds of residents, passersby join the friends and family of the dead to pay their respect.

Hopefully, Brown will see no objections to this plan, although I wish Her Majesty had the authority to grant the Royal prefix without the PM's approval.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Hopefully, Brown will see no objections to this plan, although I wish Her Majesty had the authority to grant the Royal prefix without the PM's approval.
And why is that??
Old 09-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsel View Post
every time a fallen soldier is flown home to the nearby RAF Lyneham, hundreds of residents, passersby join the friends and family of the dead to pay their respect.
Not just residents, passers by, friends and family, there are also members of the regiments, old soldiers, and former colleagues. Many people travel down/up just to show their respect.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:08 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

That would be a lovely tribute to the town. The photos showing the crowds of people in Wootton Bassett paying their respects to the fallen soldiers are so moving.

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 09-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Nobility

That's a really awesome thing that the town, and visitors to the town, do to honor your fallen. They've fought and lost a most honorable, valiant battle. I hope your PM listens to his Queen!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Courtesy of Belga.

Queen Elizabeth II studies one of the first copies of ' Queen Elizabeth the Queen mother, the official biography', in a living room at Birkhall the Scottish home of the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall (17/09/2009).

http://i31.tinypic.com/qode92.jpg
Old 09-17-2009, 12:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I don't like that picture, seems to composed for my liking. I would like to know whether she likes it or not.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelinaB. View Post
And why is that??
Because I fail to see what the Prime Minister has to do with the “Royal” prefix: surely it would be a common sense to assume that Her Majesty has the power to grant distinguished towns, cities and villages the prefix upon her discretion, without consulting anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Not just residents, passers by, friends and family, there are also members of the regiments, old soldiers, and former colleagues. Many people travel down/up just to show their respect.
Thanks for the information: it does sound like a town where people got their priorities right.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Because I fail to see what the Prime Minister has to do with the “Royal” prefix: surely it would be a common sense to assume that Her Majesty has the power to grant distinguished towns, cities and villages the prefix upon her discretion, without consulting anyone else.
The Queen has very few rights left to her and this is one that she no longer has. Like 99% of the rest of the things the Queen appears to be able to do she actually has to get the government's permission. She is a rubber stamp in reality and not much more.

The 'Queen's' honours for instance are actually the government's except for the Garter and a couple of others.

The 'Queen's' speech at the Opening of Parliament is the government's speech read by the Queen.

When she makes a speech to visiting Heads of State or when visiting the government has to approve the speech

and so on

and so on

That is what a constitutional monarch is - a figurehead with no real power - but a unifying figurehead and therefore useful.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
I don't like that picture, seems to composed for my liking. I would like to know whether she likes it or not.
Oh! Lumutqueen, I love the photo. She looks just like a regular 'granny', wearing three sweaters to keep out the cold
Old 09-18-2009, 04:41 AM
Nobility

I am a young man of 26 years old, and I have to confess I adore the latest photograph of Her Majesty The Queen. SHE IS ADORABLE!!! May God bless her.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
...I would like to know whether she likes it or not.
To our eternal disappointment it's unlikely HM will be writing her review of the book for The Times Literary Supplement. If only...
Old 09-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Queen wants Wootton Bassett to get Royal status for its part in honouring war deadI think that's a very good idea.

Patriotism and respect for the armed forces are apparently well and alive in that small town, for (as the DM article mentions) every time a fallen soldier is flown home to the nearby RAF Lyneham, hundreds of residents, passersby join the friends and family of the dead to pay their respect.

On several occasions I have seen news footage of this on BBC or Sky International. It is heartbreaking to watch each hearse go by, but what really chokes me up is all those ordinary people who take time out of their busy lives and even make special trips there to ensure they are there to honour the fallen and stand and pay their silent respects.

As Gordon Brown is not exactly popular with the BRF, the Army or faimilies of those on the firing line on account of the incredible shortfall in every area of supplies to the fronts, I can only say that if he has half a brain or his PR team a gram of sense they would see this as a no-brainer.

The town deserves it! The NOK deserve it, and the Queen, Prince Phillip, Prince Charles and The Princess Royal want it!

As they have all been a right pain in his erm . . . neck on these issues, as gestures go, it could well go a small way to show he is aware of their pain.

It wouldn't cost much and it wouldn't hurt his ratings,
Old 09-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Pics 20.9.2009

Prince Phillip lays a wreath during a memorial service in
Nijmegen September 20, 2009. The event was held to
commemorate the 65th anniversary of Operation Market
Garden during World War Two.
Pic 3 includes Queen Beatrix.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Courtier

Thank you very much for the pictures, iceflower!
The British and Dutch Royal Families (at least the older generation) appear to have very close relationship: I remember the informal hug Queen Beatrix greeted Queen Elizabeth with during the last official visit of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip to the Netherlands.
Quote:
The town deserves it! The NOK deserve it, and the Queen, Prince Phillip, Prince Charles and The Princess Royal want it!
I agree with you, MARG: there is absolutely no harm that can be done by granting the town the Royal prefix, and it would be a nice way of acknowledging all those wonderful people, who deem it their duty to pay the final respect to the bravest and noblest of all - the soldiers.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Courtier

The Military Cross hero killed by the Taliban after returning to front line

Quote:
In the face of withering fire from the Taliban 15 yards away, he repeatedly risked his life to come to the aid of his comrades.

So immense was Sergeant Michael Lockett's courage - in a terrifying battle dubbed 'Operation Certain Death' - that last year he was presented with the Military Cross by the Queen.

But now the 29-year-old has paid the ultimate price for his bravery.
The father-of-three had been only days from completing his six-month mission in Afghanistan and coming home when he was killed by a hidden bomb.
Rest In Peace, Sergeant.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:12 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Oh how awful, thats the worse kind of story.
I remember seeing pictures I believe of him recieveing the cross.
Rest in peace.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii