Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 2: April-August 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will visit Viet Nam.I don't know when?But i will have some photos of her because i 'm living in Viet Nam.Vietnamese President has invited Her Majesty to visit Viet Nam when he met her yesterday and Her Majesty has agreed

The current Greek Royal family is a younger branch of the Danish Royal Family of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glucksburg (that is a mouthful!). In 1861, King Christian IX's younger son Wilhelm was invited to take the Greek throne and took on the name of George. Amongst his children are the grandfather of Constantine II and Prince Andreas--Philip's father. Hence Constantine II's grandfather and Philip's father are brothers.

How is relationship with Greek monarch, such as Queen Sophia and Queen Constantine ?

King Constantine II and Queen Sofia are brother and sister. Sofia was a Princess of Greece when she married Juan Carlos in 1962--her parents being King Paul I and Queen Frederika. When King Paul I died a few years later, Constantine became king. Sofia became Queen of Spain after the death in 1975 of the dictator Franco.

Tks Tiara, but I want to know does prince Philip still have a good relationship with Greek monarch ? such as queen Sophia and ex king Constantine.

Wisnu

Originally posted by Wisnu@May 31st, 2004 - 1:02 am
Tks Tiara, but I want to know does prince Philip still have a good relationship with Greek monarch ? such as queen Sophia and ex king Constantine.

Wisnu
Yes they do, they do not live far from the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh and each family attends the other's important functions. Prince William is a godfather to Crown Prince Pavlos' heir, King Constantine is a godfather of Prince William. Prince Charles is the godfather of Crown Prince Pavlos and his daughter Olympia.

As for Queen Sofia, I do not know how close HM the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are--I imagine not quite as close, but cordial relations exist.

Her Majesty will attend D-Day tomorrow. :flower: .What will she wear?new hats?

So,will Her Majesty attend the Funeral of former President Ronald Reagan?

I think that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II won't attend the funeral of Ronald Reagan.Because Her Majesty will be busy this week.On tuesday 8th Her Majesty will attend a lunch at the Mansion House,London EC4,to mark the Centenary of The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.On Wednesday 9th Her majesty will hold an Investiture at Buckingham Palace at 11a.m and in the evening of that day Her Majesty will attend the Gala Concert to mark the Centenary of The London Symphony Orchestra.

Today,in France:
_The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh a.m
will attend a British-French Ceremony of Commemoration on the occasion of the sixtieth anniversary of the Normandy Landings at the Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery.
_The Queen&The Duke of Edinburgha.m
will attend a Ceremony of Remembrance at Juno Beach Centre,Courseulles-sur-Mer,France,to commemorate Canada's role in the Normandy Landings.
_The Queen&The Duke of Edinburghp.m
will attend a lunch for Heads of State given by President Jacques Chirac at the Hotel de Ville,Caen,France,on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the Normandy Landings.
_The Queen&The Duke of Edinburghp.m
will attend an International Parade and Ceremony of Commemoration at Arromanches,France,on the occasion of the 60th of the Normandy Landings.
_The Queen&The Duke of Edinburgh,p.m
will attend a Normandy Veterans Association Farewell Match-Past and Parade in Arromanches ,France.

I don't think there's a question of will the Queen be busy that week. She has to, as a representative of her country, attend President Reagan's funeral. There's no question that she will, even just out of respect for Mrs. Reagan, who attended so many royal events in her capacity as representative for the US.

Also, I think the real question is whether Baroness Thatcher will attend. They were great allies and friends, Thatcher and Reagan, but she's in quite failing health herself, having suffered from a stroke she had a year or so ago. I do think, however, she'll force herself to attend, as the affection between she and the president was so great there's no other choice for her than to attend. I also think we'll see representatives from every royal family in Europe, especially from the Royal House of Monaco. You see, Mrs. Reagan was one of those people who attended Princess Grace's funeral in 1982 and she was quite visibly shaken by her death. They were good friends, you see. So, I think we'll undoubtedly see Princess Caroline and Prince Albert, if not Rainier as well at the President's funeral. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Mrs. Reagan has suffered for so long and emulated such grace and devotion in the face of adversity. God bless her and the Reagan family in these difficult times.

I knew it!

HM Queen always busy all the times because her schedules to do! HM Queen makes tributes to former president Reagon but she dont attend funeral.

Sara Boyce

But will we have pics of Her Majesty makes tribute to Ronald Reagan?Or it is private?

Originally posted by Windsorfan@Jun 6th, 2004 - 10:07 am
But will we have pics of Her Majesty makes tribute to Ronald Reagan?Or it is private?
i think its private tributes because she is Queen of England you know!

Sara Boyce

But i want to ask you will Her Majesty make a tribute ceremony for Reagan in public?I remember that in 2001 Her Majesty had attended a memorial for the victims of the 11th September.And Her Majesty also ordered the Guard at Buckingham Palace to play"The Star-Spangled Banner".

Originally posted by grecka@Jun 6th, 2004 - 2:11 am
I don't think there's a question of will the Queen be busy that week. She has to, as a representative of her country, attend President Reagan's funeral.
First, I was very sad to hear of President Reagan's passing. Second, as much as it would be nice for Her Majesty the Queen to attend the funeral, odds are she will not. I am sure Her Majesty would like to go but it is actually the Staff at Buckingham Palace who decided who will attend state funerals and not the Queen. Palace tradition is that the Queen ONLY attends funerals of her immediate family. For any other occassion a senior member of the Royal Family attends most likely the Prince of Wales or Prince Philip.

There are many beautiful pics of Her Majesty in France to attend the D-Day from Getty Images

Originally posted by grecka@Jun 6th, 2004 - 2:11 am
I don't think there's a question of will the Queen be busy that week. She has to, as a representative of her country, attend President Reagan's funeral. There's no question that she will, even just out of respect for Mrs. Reagan, who attended so many royal events in her capacity as representative for the US.
The British sovereign does not attend funerals nor marriages outside the UK ...this goes as far back as the death of King F rederik VIII of Denmark. The British sovereign sends a representative. Philip represented the queen at the funeral of Kennedy in 1963.

(The one exception was the funeral of King Baudouin.)

Originally posted by timtonruben359+Jun 6th, 2004 - 1:11 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (timtonruben359 @ Jun 6th, 2004 - 1:11 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-grecka@Jun 6th, 2004 - 2:11 am
I don't think there's a question of will the Queen be busy that week.  She has to, as a representative of her country, attend President Reagan's funeral.
First, I was very sad to hear of President Reagan's passing. Second, as much as it would be nice for Her Majesty the Queen to attend the funeral, odds are she will not. I am sure Her Majesty would like to go but it is actually the Staff at Buckingham Palace who decided who will attend state funerals and not the Queen. Palace tradition is that the Queen ONLY attends funerals of her immediate family. For any other occassion a senior member of the Royal Family attends most likely the Prince of Wales or Prince Philip. [/b][/quote]
The staff does not decide who goes to a funeral. The Sovereign makes the decision (sometimes in consultation with the Prime Minister.

Originally posted by Marlene@Jun 6th, 2004 - 6:36 pm
The staff does not decide who goes to a funeral. The Sovereign makes the decision (sometimes in consultation with the Prime Minister.
Traditionally what happens when foreign statesmen dies that country's embassy in Great Britain sends a formal invitation to Buckingham Palace. What happens from there is Her Majesty's Private Secretary then informs the Foreign Office, since it is the Foreign Office who has to make all the travel plans and necessary security arrangements.

Since the Queen does not attend foreign funerals, the Private Secretary will consult the Queen, but she does not make the final decision. It comes down to the Foreign office who may deem that a certain Royal is too senior too attend e.g. if it is a former or current head of state who has died, then a senior member of the Royal Family will attend e.g. Prince Philip or Prince Charles, if it is a former or current head of government usually a more junior member of the family will attend e.g. Prince Edward or Princess Alexsandra.

Originally posted by timtonruben359+Jun 6th, 2004 - 7:26 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (timtonruben359 @ Jun 6th, 2004 - 7:26 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Marlene@Jun 6th, 2004 - 6:36 pm
The staff does not decide who goes to a funeral.  The Sovereign makes the decision (sometimes in consultation with the Prime Minister.
Traditionally what happens when foreign statesmen dies that country's embassy in Great Britain sends a formal invitation to Buckingham Palace. What happens from there is Her Majesty's Private Secretary then informs the Foreign Office, since it is the Foreign Office who has to make all the travel plans and necessary security arrangements.

Since the Queen does not attend foreign funerals, the Private Secretary will consult the Queen, but she does not make the final decision. It comes down to the Foreign office who may deem that a certain Royal is too senior too attend e.g. if it is a former or current head of state who has died, then a senior member of the Royal Family will attend e.g. Prince Philip or Prince Charles, if it is a former or current head of government usually a more junior member of the family will attend e.g. Prince Edward or Princess Alexsandra. [/b][/quote]
right!

Sara Boyce

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II attended a Gala Concert to mark the Centenary of the London Symphony Orchestre yesterday.Does anyone have pics?Are there any photos about it from Getty Images?

Have you seen pics of Her majesty Queen Elizabeth II and her husband at The Order of the Garter yet?

Official Photo of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II

The Queen is pictured in an official photograph to be used on the cover of cards sent out from Buckingham Palace to centenarians and couples celebrating their Diamond Wedding anniversary. The new card will be sent out to recipients from 12 June 2004, the same day as The Queen's official birthday. For more information of how to have an anniversary card sent, please click here. The Queen is wearing the brooch she gave to her mother on 4 August 2000 to mark The Queen Mother's 100th birthday

© Mark Lawrence

Queen Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom