Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 19: October 2008-March 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news. I am sure you will have a lot of fun planning your hat and dress, and even more fun on the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will be morning dress and top hat of course for the occasion. I will attend The Queen's Birthday Parade on Saturday 13 June as well. So I ordered the tailor to create two waistcoats, for Trooping the Colour a bit more formal in grey; and for Ascot a bit more flamboyant.

I am sure that it is impossible to speak to The Queen, but as I saw on footage, I saw that The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall or more approachable; and The Duke of Edinburgh too. If you think of the five-part series on BBC, he picked someone out from the public and sent her straight to Her Majesty The Queen.
I think when you greet someone of the Royal Family and say good afternoon, or so, that perhaps they will be lickely to say something of make a short chat.
The Ascot secretary told me that a Royal Enclosure guest is allowed to make its way anywhere he wants: winner's enclosure, parade ring, ...

Have a wonderful day, I'm sure you'll get excellent views of The Queen and all the Royal Family, however you'll only get to speak if you happen to be lucky enough to be presented by your ambassador which is unlikely as Ascot is a racing affair unlike a Garden Party or other purely social event. The Queen may pass at close quarters and then you can bow as she passes and say a quick "Your Majesty" but don't try and instigate conversation which is very bad form,.

It will be morning dress and top hat of course for the occasion. I will attend The Queen's Birthday Parade on Saturday 13 June as well. So I ordered the tailor to create two waistcoats, for Trooping the Colour a bit more formal in grey; and for Ascot a bit more flamboyant.

Excellent, sounds great!

I hope for the Troop you have a raincoat too - just in case it's one of those unluckily English weather days!

however you'll only get to speak if you happen to be lucky enough to be presented by your ambassador which is unlikely as Ascot is a racing affair unlike a Garden Party or other purely social event.
:) I have to disagree here, Ascot is very much a social event. Many who attend, especially those with an invite to the Royal enclosure, are not there primarily for the racing.:flowers:

So, Skydragon, you think it may be possible then? It would be a wonderful and life-long souvenir!

So, Skydragon, you think it may be possible then? It would be a wonderful and life-long souvenir!
To be honest, it is unlikely that you will get to meet/speak to HM, but most of the other Royals wander about the enclosure and have been known to talk to the visitors. You are able, of course to go into the winners enclosure and there, in the excitement of the win, all things are possible. :flowers:

You will enjoy your day regardless, even if you only have the opportunity to see HM and other members of the Royal family. You might be one of the lucky ones! :flowers:

OK, thank for the help. It is my first time to Royal Ascot, but as I stated in a previous message. I am perfectly happy to see Her Majesty from close by, but as I think, it is easier to meet The Prince and Princess Michael or Princess Alexandra, even Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall. But I am happy to see The Queen, but would like to speak to the other members of the (minor) Royal Family. Hope that will be possible.

:previous: Prince Philipp just is and has been since his marriage. He has defied definition in an age before political correctness and "everyone in a box and a box for everyone"! :rolleyes:

As to Cherie Blair? She is, as always, Cherie . . . . a legend in her own lunchtime. No culture, no class and (if possible) even fewer manners. :whistling:
One has to wonder how much her poition as the Prime Minister's wife protected her from the modern version of "the cut direct"! :D

Hi,

One Canadian Member of Parliament, whom I know, described Cherie Blair as 'an overaged bimbo'......

Larry

For a supposed champion of human rights, Cherie Blair strikes me as a most disagreeable person and seems exceeding proud of her lack of humanity.

I think this is a little storm in a teacup. She was just clarifying the fact that she was not the first lady of britain, that perhaps prince philip's role is more akin to that. She was just clarifying it for american people that may not understand the role of the PM's spouse in the UK. I dont think that it was necessarily intended as an insult or to be offensive, but more of a clarification. The queen is the head of state and it is her spouse who holds the role akin to that of the first lady not the PM's wife, a lot of Americans dont get it or know that. I am no fan of cherie, but I dont think people should be insulting her on this board or what she has achieved in her own right.

Hi,

One Canadian Member of Parliament, whom I know, described Cherie Blair as 'an overaged bimbo'......

Larry

I don't think that that is quite right. whilst I am no fan of Cherie, she is a very intelligent and talented lawyer and QC, and has had a remarkable career. Over the 10 years that Blair was in office, she managed her career, family and role as wife of PM very well, so credit where it is due.

That said, there can be no doubt about her ability to say the wrong thing at the wrong time, and embarass herself publicly. However, I just do not think this was one of those occassions, though she could have explained the comparison of the First Lady's role in the US and that of the DoE slightly better.

I think this is a little storm in a teacup.
No, really, I don't think anyone has their knickers in a knot. It's just that old familiar feeling "what's she done this time?" Definitely worthy of a few posts. :D
Elise27 said:
She was just clarifying the fact that she was not the first lady of britain, that perhaps prince philip's role is more akin to that.
Sweet and dulcet chimes as she moves in for the kill! :devil2:
Elise said:
She was just clarifying it for american people that may not understand the role of the PM's spouse in the UK.
Are Americans that thick? I very much doubt it, but then Cherie has never been one to let a chance go by. Her personal animus toward the Queen is well documented as is her intense loathing for the DofE.:argh:

Elise said:
I dont think that it was necessarily intended as an insult or to be offensive, . . . .
Unfortunately you would be one of the few! :pigsfly:

Elise said:
I am no fan of cherie, but I dont think people should be insulting her on this board or what she has achieved in her own right.
What, exactly, has she achieved "in her own right"? From the moment Tony Blair was made Prime Minister she went out of her way to be rude, ill mannered and just plain ignorant when dealing with the Queen and the DofE. Her put-downs and just plain sniping are legend, and all under the guise of being a "Republican"! In a way it is very sad because the only thing she will really be remebered for is that. It eclipsed every other aspect of her life during that time and needless to say, the media made sure the world was aware of every slight, real or imagined. :ermm:

For a supposed champion of human rights, Cherie Blair strikes me as a most disagreeable person and seems exceeding proud of her lack of humanity.
That's what get's people going, her pride in her arrogance. Not nice, not kind, and not what one would expect from the wife of the PM, I mean even WAGS have more discretion. :rolleyes: :ohmy: :lol:

I take it that you were never a member of the Cherie Blair fan club then Marg?

Hi Muriel,

Well, I don't personally know the lady and what you describe may all be true, but when you consistantly say stupid things, then you can be perceived as a "bimbo"...

I think she probably has the same 'bad press' as Princess Michael of Kent. The same Canadian MP friend of mine sat next to PMofK at a Windsor state dinne once and thought she was very pleasant, cordial and glamourous. But she does have a bad reputation as 'somewhat of a harpie', which may not be deserved either.

It's not in the truth of one's character & accomplishments that one is always judged upon, but in the reputation and perception of many criterea!!
Therefore, Cherie Blair is thought often as "an overaged bimbo" - - I stand by my friend's perception of her...

Larry

Are Americans that thick?

Some are. Whenever my husband is in the US, he meets people who either think the US is still at war with Germany due to the many "docus" about WWII or who haven't heard at all that a country named Germany exists or that we, too, have cars and planes and hotels and supermarkets - and showers... :D

There are Americans who think that? Wow. I realize our geography education is terrible and there are many Americans who think Atlanta, New York, Paris, Africa, etc are countries but I didn't think most of us thought we were still at war with Germany or even heard of the country. Dang. This makes me almost as sad as I was just last weekend when my 16-yr old niece stared at me blankly after I mentioned that I wanted to see the new QV movie with Emily Blunt. She had no idea who QV was and informed me that while her world history class did indeed study imperialism they didn't really focus on who the rulers of various countries were during the era. All of this almost makes me tempted to go back to school and get a teaching degree so I can teach high school or middle school history. But not quite.

no we americans are not that thick, it's that people who are used to a republican form of government and are used to the wife of the president being called the first lady, would think that the pm's wife if the first lady. Most Americans do not know much about how monarchies work anyway because they dont care about such things.

Cherie has said a lot of stupid things and unfortunately now anything she says is interpreted negatively. I like i said am no fan of her, i thought that as the wife of the PM she should have shown respect for the govt of her country by curtsying to the queen at least while her husband was PM, at least to show respect for the service the queen has paid her country. Im not saying that all people should curtsy or bow to the queen, but i think the spouse of the PM should. But as I said what she has achieved as summarized above in the posts above should not be minimized. Cherie is not a stupid woman. As a professional woman myself I hate it when people do that because too often the work and responsibilities that women have to juggle are minimized. Just because you dont like Cherie doesnt mean that you shouldnt be able to recognize that she is an accomplished woman and that you should think that any comment that comes out of her mouth is offensive.

Some are. Whenever my husband is in the US, he meets people who either think the US is still at war with Germany due to the many "docus" about WWII or who haven't heard at all that a country named Germany exists or that we, too, have cars and planes and hotels and supermarkets - and showers... :D
I really hope that you are being sarcastic because I am american and live in America and havent met any such americans. That is ridiculous. I am tired of this image that many europeans have of americans being stupid. Yes there are many stupid americans but there are also many well-educated ones. Anyone who thinks that americans are stupid should come and visit some of our universities, which are some of the best in the world. Yes we have problems with our education system but that doesnt mean americans are stupid or would think that WWII has not ended. WWII history is taught as part of the curriculum in american schools and I very much doubt that any american in their right mind would not know that WWII has ended or not know that germany exists or that other countries have the things you listed! Do you not have stupid people in your country?

I hate generalisations, but it is certainly a very widely held view, and not just in Europe, that the knowledge of a lot of Americans of the world outside USA is limited, at best. No doubt there are many commendable things about America, including its commitment to equality of opportunity, its free market system, and its emergence as a global melting pot for people from around the world.

I hate generalisations, but it is certainly a very widely held view, and not just in Europe, that the knowledge of a lot of Americans of the world outside USA is limited, at best. No doubt there are many commendable things about America, including its commitment to equality of opportunity, its free market system, and its emergence as a global melting pot for people from around the world.

Personally knowing 'a lot of Americans', I can say that it is this view itself that is limited. If we are going to have a stab at the US education standards, none of the 27 students that attend a rough inner city school where my good friend teaches 10th grade Global Studies were in any doubt as to whether or not the US is at war with Germany (I asked).

We could certainly generalize a lot. During some of my travels, when I told people that I'm from New York, I've been asked if I can see the Empire State Building (or another landmark) from my house. (Difficult, as I am 100 miles away ;)).

I think Mrs. Blair was taking another cheap shot at the royals by using the "First Lady" terminology. She could easily have said "First Gentleman" and had the same point put across.

The Queen has a keen interest in crop circles, thought by many to be the handiwork of extra-terrestrials, according to a letter from her private secretary.

The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh 'take an interest' in crop circles, says private secretary - Telegraph

The Queen is to come under pressure from MPs to open Buckingham Palace to the public more often in return for extra taxpayers' money for a growing backlog of repairs.

MPs pressure The Queen to open Buckingham Palace to the public more often - Telegraph

Hm, I wouldn't want to see leaky ceilings when visiting an active royal palace on a paid tour. That's something I'd expect at a deserted castle.

It may be a widely held view, but as an American who works in the education system, I can tell you that it's an untrue and oversimplified one, and one that unfairly paints an entire country of incredibly diverse people as uninterested and uninformed.

Hm, I wouldn't want to see leaky ceilings when visiting an active royal palace on a paid tour. That's something I'd expect at a deserted castle.
No kidding. The monarchy is such a huge tourist draw for the UK -- they need to keep up these palaces if they want them to continue to be destination places for people who want to experience living history.

Also, it'd be a huge shame if HM and The Duke had to start carrying one of those plastic see-through umbrellas indoors at all times! ;)

I hate generalisations, but it is certainly a very widely held view, and not just in Europe, that the knowledge of a lot of Americans of the world outside USA is limited, at best.

:ROFLMAO:That's about as enlightening (and insulting) if I said all British are stuck up snobs with their lord-this-lady-that-stuff and emotional cripple with their stiff-upper-lip. :bang:

Before anyone go over board, I'm not saying either. Well at least not since that mass convultion in '97.....just joking.:ohmy:

Also, it'd be a huge shame if HM and The Duke had to start carrying one of those plastic see-through umbrellas indoors at all times! ;)
LOL! don't give me ideas.:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom