The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

AFTER two weeks’ low profile Prince Philip was at last spotted in public yesterday—sporting two mystery BLACK EYES.

The typically defiant 87-year-old tried to shrug off renewed fears about his health to take the wheel of his Land Rover Freelander

Black eyed | Prince Philip sports two shiners on a recent outing | News | News Of The World

Prince Philip was spotted in public for the first time in nearly two weeks yesterday – apparently sporting two black eyes

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/83866

Old 02-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Courtier

They don't appear to be black eyes to me - Philip has had very sunken eyes with really dark circles for some time now. I think it's just to do with his age. Anyway, I'm glad he's out & about again.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Courtier

I think we can rest assured that there will have been a great deal of background diplomacy going on well before any change of arrangements - you don't leave people to find out from a public announcement that a major state visit is to be cancelled.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
They don't appear to be black eyes to me - Philip has had very sunken eyes with really dark circles for some time now. I think it's just to do with his age. Anyway, I'm glad he's out & about again.
The original pictures that led to the suggestion of black eyes, are not available at the moment.

Black eye Philip Prince Philip appeared to sport black eyes and a cut nose when seen in public yesterday for the first time since being hurt in a carriage driving accident last month. Since then the Prince, 87, has cancelled three public engagements

News in brief: Ecstasy, Prince Philip, Lotto and Peaches Geldof - Times Online

It has been suggested by a journalist on one programme (John Mcentee, the Mail columnist) that it is a re-occurance of the cancer Philip had, which as we know was denied.
------------------------

Philip arrived with the monarch in a chauffeur-driven Bentley for the service at St Mary Magdalene Church, in Sandringham, Norfolk.

Duke attends church with Queen - Yahoo! News UK
---------------------

"There was no state visit announced, so there is no cancellation of a visit because of the state of his health so that's completely untrue.

Palace denies royal visit cancellation - Yahoo! News UK

No visit planned, no snub!
Old 02-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Nobility

Good for his royal higness, I hope he will live for many more years i can't imagine the queen without her prince !
Wishing you much health and happiness
Old 02-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
IMHO the cancellation has everything to do with the DofE's recent "ill health" and nothing to do with slighting anyone. I also think the the leaders of the affected countries have a personal acquaintence with HM and the DofE and were probably given a discrete "heads up" as to the status of the tour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillW View Post
I think we can rest assured that there will have been a great deal of background diplomacy going on well before any change of arrangements - you don't leave people to find out from a public announcement that a major state visit is to be cancelled.
I think this situation is a vivid example of openness that has gone wrong. I am sure that British diplomats will do their best mitigating the whole situation. Moreover, I am sure that rulers of the Gulf countries show understanding for Her Majesty's position. I can't help, but wonder how the mass media learnt about the cancellation in question and why it created a storm in a tea cup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
... [snipped] "There was no state visit announced, so there is no cancellation of a visit because of the state of his health so that's completely untrue.
Palace denies royal visit cancellation - Yahoo! News UK

No visit planned, no snub!
In light of all the articles and comments, the Buckingham Palace statement looks somewhat lame. I hope that it will take steps to avoid such PR faux pas in the future. ... or perhaps ... this is the way things are done in the UK nowadays.
Old 02-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Administrator

PIcs 8.2.2009

Some more pics from today's church service the Queen
and Prince Philip attended:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Prince Philip tries to quash health fears with first public outing in two weeks
Old 02-08-2009, 01:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

It has been stated that Prince Philip had an carriage driving accident and pulled a muscle. So having two black eyes and a cut nose would not be so strange since carriage driving could easily result in falling out of the carriage or turning over. Hitting one's face could easily happen.

He is a tough guy to continue with carriage driving at his age. Good for him. Enjoy life to the last breath.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Courtier

I wish Philip a quick recovery.

By the way, there's another mystery: the royal website has been off line since yesterday: http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page1.asp
I know that a new site is being launched on 12 February, but this doesn't explain why the old one has to disappear. Very odd.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I can't help, but wonder how the mass media learnt about the cancellation in question and why it created a storm in a tea cup.
Great imaginations on behalf of the media perhaps? BP clearly states, no such visit had been announced and the story of a cancellation is-
Quote:
completely untrue.
Which far from being 'lame', is clear and succinct.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I think this situation is a vivid example of openness that has gone wrong. I am sure that British diplomats will do their best mitigating the whole situation. Moreover, I am sure that rulers of the Gulf countries show understanding for Her Majesty's position. I can't help, but wonder how the mass media learnt about the cancellation in question and why it created a storm in a tea cup.

In light of all the articles and comments, the Buckingham Palace statement looks somewhat lame. I hope that it will take steps to avoid such PR faux pas in the future. ... or perhaps ... this is the way things are done in the UK nowadays.
Al_bina, first of all, thanks for the information provided earlier on. I agree that British diplomats will have done their very best to resolve the situation ... however, one item struck me as insulting. Have you noted in the Times Online article who was mentioned as ruler of Abu Dhabi :

Quote:
The fact that it did not name the destinations may mitigate the embarrassment felt by the rulers of Dubai - Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al-Maktoum, a major racehorse owner who has met the Queen on several occasions - and Abu Dhabi - Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan - but now there will be considerable loss of face.
I always thought that Abu Dhabi was ruled by Khalifa bin Zayed al Nahyan ... but maybe I am wrong and the Times knows better

BTW the TimesOnline also mentioned that two weeks ago the Palace has sent out e-mails to royal correspondents informing them of the dates of the tour, March 23-27, and asking which organisations would be likely to send journalists to cover it. Of course the Palace had to undo this, too, so this might be the reason how they knew about it.

And last ... the Sunday Express had an article on the same topic, too. Voilà:

Sunday Express | UK News :: Just how ill is Philip? - state visit off as he is told to rest
Old 02-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Prince Philip tries to quash health fears with first public outing in two weeks

I very much doubt that Prince Philip would attend a public outing to "quash health fears" for the sake of the media or the public. IMO it is simply that he is feeling abit better and decided to go out with no motive other than to carry on his own business as usual. I am very annoyed at the media because the only coverage of Prince Philip these days seems to be when he is ill. The British media are not interested in printing or broadcasting proper royal events/news anymore: their reporters are simply waiting around in their rusty cages like a pack of aged, dusty vultures hoping for the next royal death / divorce / scandal to come round quicker than it is so that they can over scandalise the situation and further undermine the importance of monarchy in this country.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post
BTW the TimesOnline also mentioned that two weeks ago the Palace has sent out e-mails to royal correspondents informing them of the dates of the tour, March 23-27, and asking which organisations would be likely to send journalists to cover it. Of course the Palace had to undo this, too, so this might be the reason how they knew about it.
Or like naming the wrong ruler, The Times also got this wrong!
Queen cancels state visit to Dubai and Abu Dhabi - Times Online
Confusion as Queen and Duke of Edinburgh pull out of state visit - Times Online
Old 02-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Majesty

I would agree that some media outlets such as Daily Mail or the Times may give rein to their imagination. At the same time, I wonder what prompted very conservative Daily Telegraph to report this inaccurate story. Given this story, the IHA's iron grip over mass media appears to have its merits afer all. I wish the Buckingham Palace to be more vigilant and careful in the future. This will spare Her Majesty from unnecessary awkward situations.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Possibly a misunderstanding. They may have thought that a state visit was written in blood, not that one was being considered.
As no visit was in fact arranged and therefore not canceled, there is no awkward situation for HM, IMO.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Courtier

The press office at BP must be wringing their hands, and probably wishing they could wring some editors necks.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:11 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower View Post
Some more pics from today's church service the Queen and Prince Philip attended.
What a guy, QM looks fabulous and HRH all I can say is 'Duke - True Grit'
Old 02-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
The press office at BP must be wringing their hands, and probably wishing they could wring some editors necks.
I can imagine them saying "A fine pickle they've gotten us into to"!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Royal Highness

It's wince Philip for pained Duke
It's wince Philip for pained Duke | The Sun |News|Royals
Old 02-11-2009, 06:52 PM

The new website is now online www.royal.gov.uk

God Save The Queen!

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of edinburgh, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii