Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 19: October 2008-March 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, the announcement from BP just seems like a very odd. They are not disclosing where the state visit was planned to, just that it is being cancelled. Thats very odd. Also, in the nearly 60 years that she has been Queen, HM has never called off state visits just because there is too much on. Just seems very odd to me.

I don't think that this is a sign of a royal wedding. According to this article from the BBC (BBC NEWS | UK | State visit for Mexican president) The President of Mexico is vistitng in March. According to the sources reporting the cancellation the immediatly after the cancelled state visit the queen would have recived the President of Mexico. If that visit is in March then the cancelled visit must be around that time, and a large royal wedding would take more than a month to plan.
It could prehaps be a sign of a general election, or due to the Duke's health. IMO the offical reason that "there's too much on" is odd, as others have said a state visit takes months if not a year or more of planning, therefore you would think other events would have been planned around this date and surely these events would be cancelled if there was too much on. I mean cancelling a state visit is a massive move, cancelling a visit to a local region or hospital etc would make more sense.

Confusion as Queen and Duke of Edinburgh pull out of state visit - Times Online
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have made a last-minute decision to cancel a state visit, a spokeswoman for the Royals has confirmed.
Buckingham Palace officials have denied suggestions that ill health on the part of Prince Philip was to blame for the change of plans, although he has missed three engagements in the past two weeks due to a back injury.
It may safely be presumed that Her Majesty has got serious reasons/causes for cancelling the state visit in question. I hope that Prince Phillips' health issues are minor.

More Info:

Queen cancels State visit to Dubai - Telegraph

I think that perhaps we cant lose sight that these are two people in their 80s, the fact that it wasnt mentioned in the queen's speech is a sign that perhaps even back then they were concerned about the grueling schedule on the queen and her husband. It probably does have something to do with the DoE's bad back but maybe we are just forgetting that the queen and her husband are old and their schedule is going to have to start to be reduced here and there.

Personally I think that it has to do with the financial crisis. But we might know more later.
A journalist of the Sun told me in the late 1990's that a good way to determine what is going on with the royals is to watch the Earl of Wessex. If Edward is happy everything is well, if Edward is irritable and ill looking there is something wrong. Believe it or not this is how many journalist knew something was not well with the Queen Mother.
As far as the Duke of Edinburgh's health is - what where Edward and Anne are. Possibly all the children. That is a good indicator that the palace themselves don't seem to think it is serious.

Why is the Earl of Wessex the one to watch??

Why is the Earl of Wessex the one to watch??

Because he is the one who is closest to his parents. He lived at home for longer and they spend more time with him and his family than they do with the others.

A journalist of the Sun told me in the late 1990's that a good way to determine what is going on with the royals is to watch the Earl of Wessex.
A long time ago, Edward has his own life now, his own family with all their problems.:rolleyes:

I think that perhaps we cant lose sight that these are two people in their 80s, the fact that it wasnt mentioned in the queen's speech is a sign that perhaps even back then they were concerned about the grueling schedule on the queen and her husband. It probably does have something to do with the DoE's bad back but maybe we are just forgetting that the queen and her husband are old and their schedule is going to have to start to be reduced here and there.

That's a very good point. So, if it gets to the point where one or both of them are really unable to travel, do we think Prince Charles will be the one picking up the slack? If he's not the head of state, but merely acting as her representative, could it even be considered a "state" visit if he travels out of the country to meet foreign leaders or monarchs?

Because he is the one who is closest to his parents. He lived at home for longer and they spend more time with him and his family than they do with the others.
And he's to inherit the Duke's title --unfortunately-- at the Duke's passing.

And he's to inherit the Duke's title --unfortunately-- at the Duke's passing.

Well, sort of, right? Won't it actually be that Charles will inherit the DoE title, it will merge with the crown when HM dies, and then King Charles will give it to Edward? That's the supposed plan, isn't it?

I don't know the specifics and that's an excellent question to pose to Warren.
Oh Warren!!! Your services are needed!!

(Ever think he sighs exasperatedly saying "Oh what does that bat want now??" :D )

Last edited by a moderator:
The sad reality is that charles is going to have to pick up some of the work of the queen more and more. I do hope that Camilla will become more supportive as that begins to happen because frankly for being the wife of the future king of england she doesnt perform as many engagements as she should.
I dont believe it would be called a state visit as the queen is the head of state.

I don't know the specifics and that's an excellent question to pose to Warren.
Oh Warren!!! Your services are needed!!

(Ever think he sighs exasperatedly saying "Oh what does that bat want now??" :D )

The specifics are very clear.

When Philip dies, like all other titles his will follow the original Letters Patent which has the title going to his male heirs.

So

1. Charles is heir to his father's title of Duke of Edinburgh and will inherit the Edinburgh title on the passing of his father.

2. Charles is also heir to his mother's title of monach so when he has inherited both of his parents' titles the Duke of Edinburgh title will have merged with that of the Crown in that the holder of both titles will be one and the same person - namely Charles.

3. That means that the Edinburgh title is available to be regranted.

4. In 1999 it was announced that the intention is that when Charles has inherited the Edinburgh title AND the crown he will recreate the Edinburgh title for his youngest brother, Edward and thus Edward will be Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn.

However:

That assumes that the expected scenario takes place in that Charles inherits both titles but....

if Charles, William, Harry and Andrew all predecease Philip then Edward would inherit all of his father's titles in his own right as Beatrice can't inherit the Edinburgh (or York) title being female, but she can inherit her grandmother's throne.

or

if William marries and has a daughter, then William dies and Charles also dies before Philip, then the throne passes to that daughter and Harry inherits the Edinburgh title and the title doesn't merge with the crown at all and Edward then doesn't become a Duke (although in that scenario he might still be given a Dukedom - say of Cambridge).

Because of the alternate scenarios we can only say that it is expected that Edward will, at some time in the future be created Duke of Edinburgh but his chances of actually inheriting the title directly are rather small.

IOh Warren!!! Your services are needed!!
They wouldn't be if you had been paying attention! :D This question has been asked and answered on so many occasions in so many threads that all regulars of the British Forums should know it off by heart. Most recently, Iluvbertie posted her excellent detailed explanation in the Questions About Titles thread just two weeks ago.

At this rate we're going to have to start setting homework for those who have obviously been misbehaving up the back of the class. ;)

At this rate we're going to have to start setting homework for those who have obviously been misbehaving up the back of the class. ;)

So long as I don't have to mark it - I have enough homework to mark from my 'real' students (who have actually done some over the Christmas holidays for a change - NB for our non NSW cousins in NSW students start their school years annually in January/February except for students entering the final year of school who can start their actual HSC studies in the October of the year before allowing a full 12 months study on these subjects and these are the kids who did some homework).
:lol:

Queen cancels state visit to Dubai and Abu Dhabi - Times Online
.... the Times has learnt that the spring tour was due to have been to the Gulf states and would have included visits to Dubai and Abu Dhabi. The Palace said that it was the state visit to Britain by President Calderón of Mexico — who arrives three days after the Queen was due to return from the Middle East — and the gathering in London the same week of G20 leaders, including President Obama, that has placed undue strain on the Queen’s diary. ...
The situation surrounding a clumsy cancellation appears awkward in my personal opinion. I hope it will not be construed as snub by rulers of the Gulf countries in question.

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh: time to slow down? - Telegraph
With a combined age of 169 years the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh could be forgiven if they have finally decided to slow down even a little.
The Duke of York has admitted that he has tried and failed to persuade the Queen to cutback her schedule. However, if the Dubai cancellation is the first sign that they might be taking advice we will all completely understand.

Misbehaving? Who? :shifty:

Any update on the Duke and his health?

And many thanks for the explainations. I roam the TRF but I can't get to EVERY thread, else Mr. Russo would fire me. His patience as a bosss can only be stretched so far. . . . :D

The situation surrounding a clumsy cancellation appears awkward in my personal opinion. I hope it will not be construed as snub by rulers of the Gulf countries in question.
IMHO the cancellation has everything to do with the DofE's recent "ill health" and nothing to do with slighting anyone. I also think the the leaders of the affected countries have a personal acquaintence with HM and the DofE and were probably given a discrete "heads up" as to the status of the tour.

AFTER two weeks’ low profile Prince Philip was at last spotted in public yesterday—sporting two mystery BLACK EYES.

The typically defiant 87-year-old tried to shrug off renewed fears about his health to take the wheel of his Land Rover Freelander

Black eyed | Prince Philip sports two shiners on a recent outing | News | News Of The World

Prince Philip was spotted in public for the first time in nearly two weeks yesterday – apparently sporting two black eyes

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/83866

They don't appear to be black eyes to me - Philip has had very sunken eyes with really dark circles for some time now. I think it's just to do with his age. Anyway, I'm glad he's out & about again.

They don't appear to be black eyes to me - Philip has had very sunken eyes with really dark circles for some time now. I think it's just to do with his age. Anyway, I'm glad he's out & about again.
The original pictures that led to the suggestion of black eyes, are not available at the moment.

Black eye Philip Prince Philip appeared to sport black eyes and a cut nose when seen in public yesterday for the first time since being hurt in a carriage driving accident last month. Since then the Prince, 87, has cancelled three public engagements

News in brief: Ecstasy, Prince Philip, Lotto and Peaches Geldof - Times Online

It has been suggested by a journalist on one programme (John Mcentee, the Mail columnist) that it is a re-occurance of the cancer Philip had, which as we know was denied.
------------------------

Philip arrived with the monarch in a chauffeur-driven Bentley for the service at St Mary Magdalene Church, in Sandringham, Norfolk.

Duke attends church with Queen - Yahoo! News UK
---------------------

"There was no state visit announced, so there is no cancellation of a visit because of the state of his health so that's completely untrue.

Palace denies royal visit cancellation - Yahoo! News UK
:previous:
No visit planned, no snub!:flowers:

Good for his royal higness, I hope he will live for many more years i can't imagine the queen without her prince :nonono:!
Wishing you much health and happiness:flowers:

IMHO the cancellation has everything to do with the DofE's recent "ill health" and nothing to do with slighting anyone. I also think the the leaders of the affected countries have a personal acquaintence with HM and the DofE and were probably given a discrete "heads up" as to the status of the tour.
I think we can rest assured that there will have been a great deal of background diplomacy going on well before any change of arrangements - you don't leave people to find out from a public announcement that a major state visit is to be cancelled.
I think this situation is a vivid example of openness that has gone wrong. I am sure that British diplomats will do their best mitigating the whole situation. Moreover, I am sure that rulers of the Gulf countries show understanding for Her Majesty's position. I can't help, but wonder how the mass media learnt about the cancellation in question and why it created a storm in a tea cup.
... [snipped] "There was no state visit announced, so there is no cancellation of a visit because of the state of his health so that's completely untrue.
Palace denies royal visit cancellation - Yahoo! News UK
:previous:
No visit planned, no snub!:flowers:
In light of all the articles and comments, the Buckingham Palace statement looks somewhat lame. I hope that it will take steps to avoid such PR faux pas in the future. ... or perhaps ... this is the way things are done in the UK nowadays.

It has been stated that Prince Philip had an carriage driving accident and pulled a muscle. So having two black eyes and a cut nose would not be so strange since carriage driving could easily result in falling out of the carriage or turning over. Hitting one's face could easily happen.

He is a tough guy to continue with carriage driving at his age. Good for him. Enjoy life to the last breath.

I wish Philip a quick recovery. :flowers:

By the way, there's another mystery: the royal website has been off line since yesterday: http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page1.asp
I know that a new site is being launched on 12 February, but this doesn't explain why the old one has to disappear. Very odd. :ohmy:

I can't help, but wonder how the mass media learnt about the cancellation in question and why it created a storm in a tea cup.
Great imaginations on behalf of the media perhaps? :cool: BP clearly states, no such visit had been announced and the story of a cancellation is-
completely untrue.
Which far from being 'lame', is clear and succinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom