The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Brilliant young designer quits Buckingham Palace in 'battle of the Queen's dressmakers' | Mail Online

'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

It's pretty obvious even to us outsiders that any staff member who decides to take on Angela Kelly in a power-play will come off second best.

quote from the article:
Miss Kelly’s rise from a lowly Palace maid to the Queen’s first ever personal assistant with the rather grand title of Curator to Her Majesty the Queen (Jewellery, Insignia and Wardrobe) is the stuff of fairy tales. Brought up on a Liverpool council estate, she is today known in Buckingham Palace as the Queen’s ‘gatekeeper’ after 15 years of loyal service. It is an elevation that has made her unpopular with some Palace insiders, who refer to Miss Kelly’s all-female team as ‘the coven’.

Proximity and access to the Monarch was the desired goal centuries ago; it seems the same remains true today.
As a general rule, those who have it by personal favour are resented by those who don't.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

Proximity and access to the Monarch was the desired goal centuries ago; it seems the same remains true today.
As a general rule, those who have it by personal favour are resented by those who don't.
I wonder if the younger designer tried to find a position with Camilla, for I have to say that since she started at BP, HM has been dressed very nice in the "in-house" couture dresses. Smart colours, smart fabrics and very favorable cuts. I would hate to see someone with such an eye for enhancing fashion should leave the Royal service completely. Isn't there the next queen who might like another good designer?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Curator to Her Majesty the Queen (Jewellery, Insignia and Wardrobe)
The jangling sounds you hear are the keys to those fabled vaults hanging from the formidable Miss Kelly's belt. No wonder some staff are envious and resentful!
Old 01-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The jangling sounds you hear are the keys to those fabled vaults hanging from the formidable Miss Kelly's belt. No wonder some staff are envious and resentful!
I didn't realise that! Now even I am envious and resentful!
Old 01-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine View Post
I didn't realise that! Now even I am envious and resentful!
Well, I'm right there with you in that queue!
I just hope the loss of her designer is not detrimental to HM's amazing style of the last few years. I'd hate to see her go all frumpy & old-lady on us!
Old 01-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Royal Highness

I can feel the cold...
Queen's hat trick to keep out the cold as mercury plunges to -5C | Mail Online
Old 01-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Pics 11.1.2009

Queen Elizabeth II attends the Sunday Morning Church
Service at Sandringham with the Duke of Edinburgh, Norfolk,
Britain - 11 Jan 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Old 01-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

In that first pic shes the mirror image of her Grandmother Queen Mary! Prince Philip looks well which is nice!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:

It's pretty obvious even to us outsiders that any staff member who decides to take on Angela Kelly in a power-play will come off second best. ...
While Ms. Kelly should be lauded for her career advancement, I hope that Miss Kelly remembers of changes in the life of Mr. William Tullon after the death of his employer and prepares for rainy days.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Royal Highness

I LOVE her hat.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Is that the same outfit she wore in either Slovakia or Slovenia? And I agree that it makes her look very much like Queen Mary. I think she should wear more of that style of hat.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip brave the cold weather, as
the temperature drops to -5 degrees on a pheasant shoot,
Sandringham estate, Norfolk, Britain - 10 Jan 2009

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
I think the unidentified peron with Her Majesty is Lady Helen Taylor. I can see the blonde hair peeping out from her hat, and in other shots it certainly looks like her.

Link to a report that she was at Sandringham at the time.

EDP24 - Queen attends Sandringham church
Old 01-12-2009, 02:04 AM
Courtier

The Queen looked fabulous at church yesterday. Alison Fordum 'your services are required'
Old 01-12-2009, 02:29 AM
Gentry

Close-up picture of the -5 degree scarf, hood, hat combo. I have to give Her Majesty props for braving that weather to go stalking... I personally would be inside curled up with a cozy fire and a good book!!

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/r...-09hunting.jpg

How is it that even in this get-up she still manages to look so adorable?!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
While Ms. Kelly should be lauded for her career advancement, I hope that Miss Kelly remembers of changes in the life of Mr. William Tullon after the death of his employer and prepares for rainy days.
IIRC it was later proven that reports about Queen Mum's page and his descent into proverty had been wrong - The Prince of Wales had taken very good care of Tallon and I have no doubt that he will do the same for Ms. Kelly once the day has come.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Majesty

Right now Ms. Kelly enjoys hard-earned perquisites of her position as Curator to Her Majesty the Queen (Jewellery, Insignia and Wardrobe). As aptly noted by Warren, the others envy her cordial relationship with Her Majesty. Everything ends sooner or later. Thus, I hope that she has got something (i.e., her own money and her own flat) to fall back. Additionally, she should remember that the British Royal family is known for accusing their servants/employees of stealing so-called treasured mementos, thereby tarnishing their reputations and undermining credibility. I hope that she is more far-sighted than Mr.Burrel or Mr. Tullon in this respect.
If Ms. Alison Pordum manages to find employment with the Clarence House, I am sure she will remind Ms.Kelly about "I design and Alison makes the clothes."
Old 01-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
Is that the same outfit she wore in either Slovakia or Slovenia? And I agree that it makes her look very much like Queen Mary. I think she should wear more of that style of hat.
That is correct.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

No doubt Prince Harry will be relieved that he is not the only person to have upset the Queen on her winter break at Sandringham this year.

For the case of the toppling Christmas tree has been exercising royal minds just as much as Harry's unfortunate video nasty.

Whoops! Royal tree is toppled | Mail Online
Old 01-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Majesty

The member of staff mentioned here sounds like a character from a British comedy. I thought of "Mr. Bean" before he was mentioned in the article.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of edinburgh, prince philip, queen elizabeth, queen elizabeth ii