Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 18: May-October 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, those who back Charles stance on organic farming and those who have any interest at all in sustainability of organic farming, will just put it down to someone of Philips age being 'out of touch'. I don't think many people here take offence at what he says, they just think silly old codger! :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I support organic farming and I am a "tree huger", but I have to say Philip does have a point (sort of). I doesn't have as high yield as those that use GM, and chemicals. And its not always a option (yet) everywhere. Organic foods cost more, and much more labor intensive to produce. And even if something is grown organic if it's not sold local then its still bad for environment becuase of all emissions and energy gone into transportation.

I don't really see what Philip said as challenging organic farming, just more questioning it (does that make sense?). Charles doesn't strike me as someone who just except something is the right thing because he is told it is, I see him as someone who as asks questions, I guess it is something Philip passed on to his son :lol:

Have people been watching the 2 part ITV documentary on Prince Philip shown here on Mon and Tue night? Would be great to hear reactions. Philip certainly comes across as a thoughtful and diligent consort, who has spent a lifetime in support of the monarch.

Philip certainly comes across as a thoughtful and diligent consort, who has spent a lifetime in support of the monarch.
I think he is as astute as his wonderful wife, but these days he likes to play with our heads big time playing the pre-dementia card and getting away with saying all sorts of things of outrageous things that he has probably wanted to say all his life but wasn't allowed to. :whistling:

If I had to define him further I could only say "Denny Crane"! What a hoot! The man is crazy like a fox! :lol:

I think you are right - whilst Philip has always spoken his mind, I think he probably just does not feel the need to be that guarded in what he says any more!! I thought it was hilarious in the way he kept swearing at the horses in the old footahe of him competing in a carriage race!

THE QUEEN is to visit Cumbria next month to celebrate 300 years of Whitehaven.

News & Star

Pics 20.+22.5.2008

Queen Elizabeth at a reception for the Queen's Award for
voluntary service at Buckingham Palace London, 20.05.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Queen Elizabeth meets ambassadors during a private audience
at Buckingham Palace, 20.5.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The Queen and Prince Philip in Liverpool, Britain, to officially
open the Arena and Convention Centre- 22 May 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I'm inclined to agree. The Duke is very old, still working, and, I suspect, not very well these days.

I can't believe that Jamie Durie would have been other than respectful and delighted by The Duke's interest, just as he was so ecstatic that Her Majesty had spent 10 or 15 minutes with him complimenting him on his gold medal and asking questions about the garden's design. In hindsight, it might have been better to not tell the Duke that the plant was a cycad, not a tree fern, but Durie was probably most chuffed at getting this very valuable plant from Australia to Chelsea without damage and still healthy and flourishing. Jamie Durie has already said that he didn't hear The Duke's comments.

I've heard reports here that Her Majesty was presented with an Australian bottle-tree after admiring them; likewise Prince Albert of Monaco who was taken with this lovely Australian native, too.

I understand that all of this has been filmed and will be shown on Australian television tonight so it will be interesting to see just how much of this report is factual and how much a Daily Mail beat-up.

If you can't be grumpy when you're 87 when can you be?

Oh Please! What a dire pretext. And if adhering to that 'theory', what's been your excuse..haha.

(What an extraordinarily fabulous avatar, btw)

Last edited:
He's practising for when he hits 87...;)

Oh Please! What a dire pretext. And if adhering to that 'theory', what's been your excuse..haha.

(What an extraordinarily fabulous avatar, btw)

I'm never grumpy! :eek: People often call me Snow White because I'm so cheerful and serene.

(Thanks Missus)

I'm never grumpy! :eek: People often call me Snow White because I'm so cheerful and serene.
Indeed you are:lol:, I'm the grumpy old sod and/or BOF, but just like Philip, at my age I am entitled! :ROFLMAO:

HM looks divine today in that turquoise ensemble.

The Queen is the prettiest, lovliest 82 year-old I have ever seen.

HM looked loevely at the re-opening of the RI. The colours were just right for the time of year, and worked very well with HMs skin tones

SOUTHAMPTON, UNITED KINGDOM - JUNE 02: HRH Queen Elizabeth II arrives at the QEII Embarkation building in Southhampton Docks on June 2, 2008 in Southhampton, England. The Queen is revisiting the historic cruise liner before it is retired in Dubai as a floating hotel.
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected#
MediumPhoto

Last edited:
Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth II during her visit to the Breacon Museum in Whitehaven Cumbria, 2008-06-05.
MediumPhoto
Funny expression!
MediumPhoto

I'm glad that someone put Prince Phillip right for once. I watched that recent documentary about him and the number of stupid things he said you couldn't count but no one ever contradicts him so no wonder he couldn't take it when the guy at the flower show did. There was one scene in that programme where he was in a high rise tower block and said that that sort of housing was no good for families but was good for elderly people and all these local authority people just stood around looking tense but not saying anything. Also in that documentary last year about the Royal Family he started arguing with an archaeologist who told him that horses were not indiginous to the U.S.A. Philip was adament that they were and this poor University Professor, who was an expert on this particular subject, just backed down to him. He is a very arrogant man and he's always been the same it's nothing to do with his age.

I'm glad that someone put Prince Phillip right for once.
The man concerned only told him the name of the plant, he didn't 'put him right', which infers he told him off. Philips comments afterwards are only alleged to have happened by 'one of the boys'.
"I didn’t hear him say it, one of the boys heard him
But it did mean that Mr Durie got a lot of publicity! :rolleyes:
------------------
Bottoms up, Ma'am! An Australian brewer has come up with a luxury beer, with a royal price tag, that it claims is fit for the Queen.

Bottoms up, Ma'am! Aussies brew beer for the Queen - Yahoo! News UK

:D

Pictured: The Queen comes face-to-face with Britain's champion gurner | Mail Online

Her husband is no slouch at pulling funny faces. So when the Queen met the world gurning champion yesterday, her own expression suggested she was distinctly underwhelmed.

Last edited:
They keep saying she wasn't amused by the gurner but actually, on the video she looks quite intrigued and smiles quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom