The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Well to be honest I don't see why gay rights are more important than a dead bear killed by such unhuman and cruel methods. We just can't compare different situations. Gay's rights might be important to gays but they know very well how to call the public and media attention to their causes... Animal's pain should concern everyone, not only some group of the society. Animals cannot talk or ask for help and I can't understand how these horrible methods of killing animals still exist. Just to give an example, every year thousands of cats, dogs and other innocent animals are taken off the streets of China, just to be shoved into tiny cages with 4 or 5 other animals and shipped for days without food or water.
If MoD decided to stop financing bear pelts to make the Headpieces for the guards regiments , I think that would be so great!
You forgot last year's Chinese government beating all stray dogs to death as they didn't have rabies tags on them, regardless if they were rabid or not. But if you go to China and and protest, then you most likely will be thrown in jail yourself.
Can they make a synthetic hat? If it's so smelly, why wear it?

Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
To you perhaps.
And I'd hope to the Queen who seems like a realist.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:15 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
We just can't compare different situations.
We can and do all the time.

Quote:
Gay's rights might be important to gays
I think it should be important to every single human being in the world, but that's just me, I guess.

How many bearskins are even made annually? I can't imagine it's a high-need or high-loss item, so I don't think it would even change how many bears were killed. That said, I think if a high-quality all-weather synthetic skin can be made, go for it.

I don't think they should be focusing attention on the Queen anyways. It's not like she's suddenly going to condemn bearskins in her next Christmas message. They should be going solely to the MoD, which is where there letters to the Queen will be forwarded.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Well this is a potentially volatile little discussion, isn't it!

I happen to care a great deal about gay rights, but I also care a great deal about animal rights, and particularly their right to not be treated cruelly by Homo sapiens, which is the cruelest animal on earth I think, both to its own species and others.

As for bear hats, I am very, very, strongly opposed to the killing of wild animals to satisfy human vanity or merely because humans want their fur or their tusks or other parts of their bodies. The soldiers don't need these bear fur hats to keep warm in the field; it's only ceremonial. Should animals be killed to provide props for mankind's ceremonies? Definitely not.

However, if these black bears are going to be killed anyway because of government culling programmes, and if the culling is humane and if the animals are not allowed to suffer unduly, then if the MOD wants the bear hats, I think they should probably have them. It is arguable that it is better that the fur be used for a valid purpose than left to rot with the dead animal's carcass, but I'm not entirely sure I support that argument.

Should HM protest about them? Elizabeth II is a woman to whom tradition is extremely important, and who is not known for taking a stand about anything at all, so I don't think she'll say anything about these bears even if she wanted to, which I doubt.

And if any member of the RF is going to protest about bears, I would rather they protested about Sun Bears.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:46 AM

Exactly. If the bears are gonna die anyway then let their pelts be turned into pretty things for the gays. Best of both worlds. I demand fur hats for homo homo sapiens.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I happen to care a great deal about gay rights, but I also care a great deal about animal rights, and particularly their right to not be treated cruelly by Homo sapiens, which is the cruelest animal on earth I think, both to its own species and others.
Homo non sapiens seems more apt - non thinking man.
Quote:
However, if these black bears are going to be killed anyway because of government culling programmes, and if the culling is humane and if the animals are not allowed to suffer unduly, then if the MOD wants the bear hats, I think they should probably have them. It is arguable that it is better that the fur be used for a valid purpose than left to rot with the dead animal's carcass, but I'm not entirely sure I support that argument.
That is the problem, they are not being killed humanely, many are left to suffer and many are killed and their cubs are left to die from predators and starvation. If these thugs were not paid for the skins, most wouldn't stoop so low as to entice them to a feeding area over a period of weeks, only to attempt to earn extra money.

HM is patron of the RSPCA
Philip is President Emeritus of the WWF

As head of the armed services HM should be ensuring money goes to supporting her servicemen/women, not trappings for the tourists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Exactly. If the bears are gonna die anyway then let their pelts be turned into pretty things for the gays. Best of both worlds. I demand fur hats for homo homo sapiens
Now that would be Homo, Homo Non Sapiens.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Exactly. If the bears are gonna die anyway then let their pelts be turned into pretty things for the gays. Best of both worlds. I demand fur hats for homo homo sapiens.
You do make me laugh, BeatrixFan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon

That is the problem, they are not being killed humanely, many are left to suffer and many are killed and their cubs are left to die from predators and starvation. If these thugs were not paid for the skins, most wouldn't stoop so low as to entice them to a feeding area over a period of weeks, only to attempt to earn extra money.

HM is patron of the RSPCA
Philip is President Emeritus of the WWF
If this is this case, and the killing is not being done humanely, HM should put an end to the bearskin hats. I didn't realise she was patron of the RSPCA. As such she has a duty to find out the facts and take action.

Let the homo homo sapiens have fake fur hats; there could be sequins involved.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
We can and do all the time.
I agree we do, but we shouldn't. As I said, animals don't ask for help, they depend on us, and their suffering is very real.
There are many organizations and religions against gays rights but none is against animal's rights. This shows how universal the love for animals should be (imo).
As PETA UK site says "The skins come from bears shot in Canada, including many who are shot several times before they die. Some escape the hunters and bleed to death. When mother bears are killed, orphaned cubs are left behind to starve". If this is not a cruel treatment, then tell me what is it.
I think Her Majesty and MoD should change their minds, but I believe the Canadian Government is even more guilty to allow such a thing in their territory.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

Let the homo homo sapiens have fake fur hats; there could be sequins involved.
Highly doubtful, they have excellent taste, after all!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think Her Majesty and MoD should change their minds, but I believe the Canadian Government is even more guilty to allow such a thing in their territory.
The Queen has nothing to do with it. It would be a violation of the oath that she took at her Coronation to overturn MoD policy. If the MoD decides on big floppy straw hats with wax fruit tied on, then on that glorious day in June, all the Royal Colonels will be lined up on Horse Guards Parade in their new headgear. Perhaps Charles could have one with a replica of some organic fruit. Likewise for if they decide to make hats out of baby seals. She'll go along as her Ministers advise her to do.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

We have a perfectly good thread in Members' Corner to debate animal rights concerns. I know this issue is somewhat relevant to the Queen's current events, but please let's not take this thread off topic.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Courtier

The Queen opens new London Heathrow Airport terminal
Old 03-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Pics 13.+14.3.2008

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip visit the Tate & Lyle sugar
refinery to celebrate its 130 years of production on March 13,
2008 in London, England.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

And here are some more pics of their visit to the new T5 Heathrow
terminal in London, today, March 14:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **
Old 03-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Courtier

Thank you iceflower for the pics.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Serene Highness

Location: desde mi ventana veo gibraltar espaņol,reino de espaŅa, Spain
Isabel II, en 3D | elmundo.es

La Lengua acompaņķ al Imperio (Antonio de Nebrija)
The Language
accompanied to the Empire (Antonio de Nebrija)

Old 03-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Pics 16.3.2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonieta View Post
Thank you iceflower for the pics.
You are most welcome, antonieta

I'm happy to see that Prince Philip made a visit to Germany today

Britain's Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh during a visit to the Queen's
Royal Hussars, in his role as their Colonel-in-Chief, in Paderborn-Sennelager,
Germany, 16 March 2008. Given the Irish origins of the regiment, Prince
Philip will celebrate St. Patrick's day 17 March with the soldiers, their
families and invited veterans.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 03-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hope im still able to be out and About at 86 Prince Philip There will never be another like him. :)
Old 03-19-2008, 07:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Newsletter articles about the visit
Visit comes at 'most promising time' for NI - Belfast Today
Monarch salutes battle-scarred soldier - Belfast Today
Queen meets McAleese as Republic visit 'moves closer' - Belfast Today
Queen arrives in Northern Ireland - Belfast Today
Right royal welcome for HRH - Belfast Today

for anyone who doesnt know what Queens university (where im a student but due to our easter holidays the students didnt get the opportunity to see her) looks like then here is a picture - for about the past month there has been frantic preparations ahead of her visit lots of painting, tidening up and gardening
http://www.ni-photos.jmcwd.com/queen...ty-belfast.jpg
http://www.roundtowerlime.com/images...university.JPG
http://titus.phy.qub.ac.uk/group/Jorge/AMA203/title.jpg

Belfast Telegraph articles
Queen meets McAleese ahead of first trip south - Local & National - News - Belfast Telegraph
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...=popup&index=1
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...=popup&index=0
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...=popup&index=2

Old 03-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

some more pictures from 19th march 2008 in Belfast
Picture details with the Irish President at Queens Lanyon building
Picture details with the new stone in the Lanyon building
Picture details Belfast City Mission meeting the children
Picture details Vice-Chancellor's Lodge with the Irish President
Picture details
Picture details in the Great Hall at Queens
Picture details close up of her lovely hat

Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Her Majesty has just shown out really lovely outfit and hat again. The outfits, she is dressing, really helps her look much younger. Hope more outifts will come by Maundy or Easter service this Sunday. Can you just believe she is nearly 82?I of course, cant.

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Closed Thread

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii