The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 04:27 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Well since you're there in the UK, please let HM know that if she ever tires of that lovely coat, I'd be MORE than happy to take it off her hands!
OK, but you follow me in the queue!!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:33 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russophile View Post
Well since you're there in the UK, please let HM know that if she ever tires of that lovely coat, I'd be MORE than happy to take it off her hands!
Darn it Russo! I wanted that coat. It is beautiful.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

PETA is calling on Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles and the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to stop using bear pelts to make headpieces for the five guards regiments and to have the hats fashioned from luxurious faux fur instead.

Help Us Convince Her Majesty the Queen to Shed Her Guards' Unbearable Headgear
Old 03-10-2008, 08:05 AM

The words 'luxurious' and 'faux fur' do not belong in the same sentence. "Cheap" and "Nasty" however are perfect bedfellows.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
The words 'luxurious' and 'faux fur' do not belong in the same sentence. "Cheap" and "Nasty" however are perfect bedfellows.
Oh, the skins from the bears are not cheap, but they are nasty!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Pics 10.3.2008

HM Queen Elizabeth II arrives with the Duke of Edinburgh for
an Observance for Commonwealth Day service at Westminster
Abbey on March 10, 2008 in London

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **
Old 03-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Moderator Emeritus

The anti-bearskin people have been around for a while. I know they ran around after her in Canada in a bear costume (It was a friendly bear, though. It gave hugs to little children.)

They whine a lot, but they haven't come up with an artificial fur that's anywhere near as resilient.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi4 View Post
Darn it Russo! I wanted that coat. It is beautiful.
We'd have to come to fisticuff with Gill first. But, then again, I'm 5'6" so I think I'm out!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon View Post
PETA is calling on Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles and the Ministry of Defence (MoD) to stop using bear pelts to make headpieces for the five guards regiments and to have the hats fashioned from luxurious faux fur instead.

Help Us Convince Her Majesty the Queen to Shed Her Guards' Unbearable Headgear
Well of course they're getting headlines, all those in that lumped up group are attractive, pretty things. You wouldn't see the same headlines if they had a bunch of fat, ugly naked people protesting!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:13 AM
Administrator

Here are some more pics from the church service the
Queen and Prince Philip attended yesterday:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **
Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
The anti-bearskin people have been around for a while. I know they ran around after her in Canada in a bear costume (It was a friendly bear, though. It gave hugs to little children.)

They whine a lot, but they haven't come up with an artificial fur that's anywhere near as resilient.
Considering the weight of the headgear and the fact that when wet that weight increases, the smell and the lack of protection they offer, it really is time for the MOD to stop financing such cruelty. Many argue that it is traditional, but tradition didn't stop them disbanding and amalgamating dozens of regiments that were also traditional. Shame on them!

They are purely ceremonial, none of the guards units wear them in combat
Old 03-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Considering the weight of the headgear and the fact that when wet that weight increases, the smell and the lack of protection they offer, it really is time for the MOD to stop financing such cruelty.
The bears would be killed anyways. They are killed as a part of a cull to keep numbers at a safe level in parts of Canada, I believe.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
The bears would be killed anyways. They are killed as a part of a cull to keep numbers at a safe level in parts of Canada, I believe.
Perhaps not in this manner though -
- The Peta footage shows black bears, which are not protected in all Canadian provinces, being gunned down after being attracted to areas where large vats of food are provided. Campaigners claim that many mother bears are killed – leaving 70 per cent of their orphaned cubs to die within a year from starvation, exposure or predators.

Some adult bears are not killed instantly and have to be shot several times or flee only to die in agony
Call for ban on bearskins in bid to stop the slaughter in Canada - Scotsman.com News

Much better for HM to be seen to condemn this practise and urge the MOD to spend the money on providing servicemen and women with updated equipment or at the very least accommodation that is in good repair.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 PM

But why is it law that we have to care? This is what annoys me about the animal rights lobby, they demand that they must be listened to or else. Why should the Queen condemn something that most people couldn't care less about? Especially when we know that if they could, most of the Royal Family would be out there hunting.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
But why is it law that we have to care? This is what annoys me about the animal rights lobby, they demand that they must be listened to or else. Why should the Queen condemn something that most people couldn't care less about? Especially when we know that if they could, most of the Royal Family would be out there hunting.
That is very simplistic, It would cause outrage on here if I said, why should I care whether a child is beaten by it's parent or a homosexual is beaten close to death, or a white middle age working class man is stabbed to death, or a black youth shot. Are you saying that HM and the rest of us shouldn't condemn these either or listen to the groups that campaign against such practices? Just because you don't care about a particular cause, doesn't mean you have the right to try to stop those that do, from speaking out.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:37 PM

It's a matter of importance though. Child abuse and gay rights are sort of more important than a dead bear being used to make a pretty hat.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
[snipped]
Much better for HM to be seen to condemn this practise and urge the MOD to spend the money on providing servicemen and women with updated equipment or at the very least accommodation that is in good repair.
Why should Her Majesty be bothered with this matter? The special equipment for military personnel has nothing to do with the headgear in question. Military personnel must be properly equipped regardless of expenses related to other ceremonial clothing. Soldiers with the famous ceremonial headgear worn by standing guard at the London landmarks are viewed as an integral part of the Royal image.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
It's a matter of importance though. Child abuse and gay rights are sort of more important than a dead bear being used to make a pretty hat.
Well to be honest I don't see why gay rights are more important than a dead bear killed by such unhuman and cruel methods. We just can't compare different situations. Gay's rights might be important to gays but they know very well how to call the public and media attention to their causes... Animal's pain should concern everyone, not only some group of the society. Animals cannot talk or ask for help and I can't understand how these horrible methods of killing animals still exist. Just to give an example, every year thousands of cats, dogs and other innocent animals are taken off the streets of China, just to be shoved into tiny cages with 4 or 5 other animals and shipped for days without food or water.
If MoD decided to stop financing bear pelts to make the Headpieces for the guards regiments , I think that would be so great!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:50 PM

Gays are humans, animals are animals. And don't even bring gay animals in my face 'cos there's no evidence a penguin dances at the other end of the ballroom. Anywho, if the bears croak naturally can we use their fur then? Or is this a blanket ban on anything that looks good?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
To you perhaps.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii