The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:53 AM

Iranian officials have called the Queen an "old crone" and effigies of her have been burned in Pakistan after Tony Blair gave a Knighthood to Salman Rushdie. Well done Mr B. Well done. Once again, he drops people in the crap and does a runner.

Pakistan government intervenes in Rushdie row | International News | News | Telegraph

BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | UK's 'deep concern' over Rushdie

The Iranian President said, "The British monarch lives under this illusion that Britain is still a 19th Century superpower and that bestowing titles is something still deemed important"

Well, obviously he thinks it is deemed important or he wouldn't be throwing a girly strop over it. I would protest but as we now have to ask permission to protest, what's the point?

Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Can Tony Blair give knighthoods? I thought that was something the Queen did.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 06-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

The honours are recommended by the government; the Queen only has a say over some of the more personal ones like the Royal Victorian order. Not that the Iranians seem to understand. Clever of Tony Blair to do something unpopular that the Queen ends up getting blamed for.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:47 PM
Aristocracy

This is total ridiculous in my eyes. I think that it is not to a National Assembly or a Senate to decide whether you can accept the title or not. It is a simple individual to accept the award and not to a government. He is the one being rewarded. I find it sad that the government is not taking this more like a «well done» to one of their citizens.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Nobility

Queen Elizabeth II Rescues Dubai

Kerching
Old 06-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Moderator Emeritus

According to the royal engagements diary, the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will visit Belgium on 11 and 12 July. I wonder if this is to make up the state visit that was canceled due to the lead-up to the Iraq war.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will pay an Official Visit and not a State Visit. To bad, their in Belgium, why not have a State Visit while they are there
Old 06-23-2007, 05:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmax View Post
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will pay an Official Visit and not a State Visit. To bad, their in Belgium, why not have a State Visit while they are there
Here is the thread for the visit in the Belgian Forum - Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip to visit Belgium July 12, 2007
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 06-25-2007, 06:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip, The Duke of Edinburgh attended The Credit Suisse Royal Windsor Cup Final at Guards Polo Club on June 24, 2007 in Windsor, England.

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth 1
Queen Elizabeth 2
Queen Elizabeth & The Duke of Edinburgh watching the action

Queen Elizabeth driving

Gallery of Pictures from Isifa
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Philip, Chancellor of Cambridge University, conferred eight honorary degrees on eminent public figures and academics Honorary Degree Ceremony at Cambridge University, Britain - 25 Jun 2007

http://www.isifa.com/photo/preview/14456123.jpg
http://www.isifa.com/photo/preview/14456111.jpg
Old 06-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Heir Apparent

HM The Queen, patron of the Royal Horticultural Society officialy opened the £7.7 million Glasshouse at RHS Wisley . The Glasshouse takes visitors through a jouney of dramatic landscapes from palm trees to leafy jungle. Date:26.06.2007

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Old 06-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Nobility

Cute headline...

Elizabeth, cell phone in hand, is no queen of the Stone Age

Liz Smith

Elizabeth, cell phone in hand, is no queen of the Stone Age - baltimoresun.com
Old 06-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanletizia View Post
Wisely is wonderful, but on this occasion, IMHO, I can't say the same about the hat!
Old 06-27-2007, 03:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen sends message to flood victims

The Queen has sent a message of support to those affected by the devastating floods.
She said her thoughts were with those who lost loved ones in the severe weather conditions.

Queen sends message to flood victims - Yahoo! News UK
Old 06-28-2007, 04:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth II, accompanied by Commandant Lynda Rose inspects vintage vehicles used by the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry during WWII, in which she herself served, which assembled in the quadrangle of Buckingham Palace on June 28th 2007.

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth 1
Queen Elizabeth 2
Queen Elizabeth 3
A picture of Princess Elizabeth in front of the First Aid Nursing Yeomanry vehicle (where she served during the WWII)

Old 06-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Administrator

The funny thing is that the Queen met her own daughter Anne there, so here are two additional pics from today

"The Princess Royal, who is Commandant-in-Chief of the First Aid Nursing Yeomany with her mother, Queen Elizabeth II as they arrive to inspect vintage vehicles used by the yeomanry which assembled in the quadrangle of Buckingham Palace, London to mark its centenary."

The Queen and Anne..
..having fun
Old 06-28-2007, 06:24 PM

Lovely pics though Princess Anne looks like an extra from "Foyle's War".
Old 06-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Her Majesty had a very busy day yesterday - first was the inspection vintage vehicles.

Later the day Her Majesty reviewed the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery, with General Sir Alex Harley, as they paraded in Hyde Park, in central London, 28 June 2007, in celebration of their 60th anniversary.

Some pictures of the event:
The Queen poses with members of the King?s Troop, Royal Horse Artillery
The Queen reviews The King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery 1
The Queen reviews The King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery 2
Queen Elizabeth reviews the parade

Gallery of Pictures from Getty
Old 06-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Heir Apparent

And finally in the evening Her Majesty presented The Queen's Gold Medal for Poetry to James Fenton, who was accompanied by the Poet Laureate, Professor Andrew Motion at Buckingham Palace.

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth, James Fenton and Andrew Motion
Queen Elizabeth, James Fenton and Andrew Motion 2
Old 06-30-2007, 08:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth was at the Holyrood Palace, in Edinburgh, Scotland for the Ceremony of the Keys - 29 Jun 2007
Queen Elizabeth ; Queen Elizabeth inspects the guards ; Queen Elizabeth inspects the guards 2

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii