Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 15: May-July 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen and Duke of Edinburgh attended the opening of the Scottish Parliament in the wake of the Scottish Nationalist Party's election victory, and the event officially inaugurated the third session of the Scottish Parliament since its creation in 1999 under the devolution settlement.
The Queen met Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond at the opening of the Scottish Parliament.
Edinburgh. Saturday June 30, 2007.

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth and The Duke of Edinburgh
Queen Elizabeth and The Duke of Edinburgh 2

The Queen and Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond...
...talking about serious things...
...and having some fun

Former First Minister Jack McConnell and Scottish Conservative leader Annabel Goldie

Gallery of Pictures from Getty

Last edited:
What an interesting fashion choice, mint green and pink. The look is fabulous.

Wonderful pics of the Queen, thanks for posting, Avalon, I loved her dresses the last days, well, I mostly do :)
I think the following pic has not been posted yet:

Queen Elizabeth II (L) poses with Prince Philip (C) and First Minister of Scotland Alex Salmond 30 June 2007 at
the opening of the Scottish Parliament, in Edinburgh. AFP PHOTO/POOL/MICHAEL BOYD
---> Pic
Again a very nice dress :flowers:

It is funny to see The Queen with a First Minister that wants to see Scotland as a country. In Canada, it would be REALY weird to see The Queen and a independentist leader of the PQ together. I guess politics are different in every countries.

ATight security for Queen Elizabeth touring Scotland
I thought about this over the weekend, I'm glad the security people are keeping a closer eye on things. It would be dreadful if anything happened to her :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Pics 2.7.2007

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip are shown a doll of Prince Harry by Caroline Milne (L) during a tour
The Shore, where they met young people, staff and volunteers 2 July 2007
I wonder what her comment was...:)

Pic 1
Pic 2

Wonderful, just like him! - I expect! :ROFLMAO:

Looks more like Ron Weasley to me, but whatever.

Wonderful, just like him! - I expect! :ROFLMAO:
I think so as well :lol::)
Here are some more pics of another event the Queen attended yesterday:

Queen Elizabeth II opens the restored Baxter Park, July 2, 2007 in Dundee, Scotland. Police have tightened security
during Queen Elizabeth II's visit to Scotland following the recent spate of failed terrorist attacks in both Glasgow
and London. Donald Suttie/Scoopt/Getty

Pic 1
Pic 2
getty gallery

Pics 3.7.2007

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II visits Stirling Castle, the home of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 5th Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland on July 3, 2007 in Stirling, Scotland. Her Majesty also attended a service in the Chapel Royal before meeting serving soldiers, affiliated units, TA and cadets. Mitchell /Getty

Does she like what she sees?

She does! ;)

Getty gallery with more pics

As unveiled in the House of Commons, the following powers will (if the PM gets his constitution) be devolved to Parliament from the Queen rather than from the Queen to the Prime Minister;

*the power to declare war
*the power to request the dissolution of parliament
*the power to ratify treaties
*the power to appoint Bishops

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II visits Stirling Castle, the home of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, 5th Battalion, The Royal Regiment of Scotland on July 3, 2007 in Stirling, Scotland. Her Majesty also attended a service in the Chapel Royal before meeting serving soldiers, affiliated units, TA and cadets. Mitchell /Getty

She does! ;)
Thank you iceflower, lovely pictures once again. :flowers: I wonder if she gets tired of visiting all these troops and having to smile.:ermm:

Does she like what she sees?

She does! ;)

Getty gallery with more pics

I guess it is a nice situation to see all those good-looking soldiers on knowing that they would die for you. I'd smile, too. ;)

As unveiled in the House of Commons, the following powers will (if the PM gets his constitution) be devolved to Parliament from the Queen rather than from the Queen to the Prime Minister;

If the Queen is deprived of the power to declare war, will she be Commander-in-Cheif?
I find it annoying Brown is aimed to take some of the Royal Prerogatives. What powers are left to the Monarch then, if the powers to declare war, the power to rquest the dissolution of parliament and the power to appoint Bishops are gone. :ermm:

I do not know very much about the British constitution, but I don't think I like these changes. The way things are now, can't the monarch act as a kind of "brake" to slow down a PM/government before it does something rash? Changing this would put more power in the PM's hands, wouldn't it? I'm not criticizing, just wondering. :confused:

If the Queen is deprived of the power to declare war, will she be Commander-in-Cheif?

She isn't deprived of it, she still holds that power but it's devolved to parliament rather than the Prime Minister which is how it's been up to now.

I do not know very much about the British constitution, but I don't think I like these changes.

Well, we don't have a constitution which is why this is rather important.

Changing this would put more power in the PM's hands, wouldn't it?

No, totally the opposite. It takes power away from the Prime Minister and gives it to MPs instead but the powers are still technically held by the Queen. :)

She isn't deprived of it, she still holds that power but it's devolved to parliament rather than the Prime Minister which is how it's been up to now.

No, totally the opposite. It takes power away from the Prime Minister and gives it to MPs instead but the powers are still technically held by the Queen. :)

Thanks for explanations BeatrixFan. :flowers:
So the Queen still 'declares war', but the final decision will be after Parliament (or the Parliament would advise the Queen to declare war and she would have the final say)?

If this is the case I like the changes more, and having a written constitution is certainly a great thing, imo.

Yep. Example; Britain wishes to declare war on Zimbabwe. At the moment, Gordon Brown simply goes to the Queen and asks for her permission to declare war. The war is declared in the Queen's name but is actually declared by the Prime Minister. Gordon Brown wants to change that. Parliament would ask for the permission to declare war but the Queen can still refuse. Basically, all the powers listed that are devolved to the Prime Minister are no longer devolved to him and are devolved to parliament. Which is brilliant IMO and long overdue.

Yep. Example; Britain wishes to declare war on Zimbabwe. At the moment, Gordon Brown simply goes to the Queen and asks for her permission to declare war. The war is declared in the Queen's name but is actually declared by the Prime Minister. Gordon Brown wants to change that. Parliament would ask for the permission to declare war but the Queen can still refuse. Basically, all the powers listed that are devolved to the Prime Minister are no longer devolved to him and are devolved to parliament. Which is brilliant IMO and long overdue.

OK, I understand it now. Very good explanation, thank you BeatrixFan :)

A consitution does not have to be a written document.

Yes! Britain's "constitution"al law has always been based on precedent law. The series of Acts of Parliament constitute a "constitution" of their own kind, although Acts of Parliament can be overwritten by subsequent Acts of Parliament, so maybe this isn't the same as a formal constitution, which in the US is viewed as a legally binding document, a contract, if you will, between the legislators and the Supreme Court.

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh, accompanied by The Earl of Wessex, arrive at a garden party at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh, 4 July 2007. The Band of The Royal Regiment of Scotland, The Heavy Cavalry and Cambrai Band and The Royal Scottish Pipers' Society played selections of music at the event to which 8,000 people were invited.
The Queen, Prince Philip and Prince Edward (centre) ; The Queen talks to guests

Mr. Alex Fergusson MSP, the Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament, is received in Audience by The Queen at the Palace of Holyroodhouse, 4 July 2007. ---> Picture

A consitution does not have to be a written document.

I disagree. I know it can be unwritten but there's the question of whether it should be and I honestly thing it's about we did have a proper written constitution. Without one there's confusion. I wonder what the new constitution will say about the Queen and the Royal Family? I think it'll be quite like the Spanish Constitution.

I disagree. I know it can be unwritten but there's the question of whether it should be and I honestly thing it's about we did have a proper written constitution. Without one there's confusion. I wonder what the new constitution will say about the Queen and the Royal Family? I think it'll be quite like the Spanish Constitution.

Any chance that the king's wife in future will be the Princess Consort?

I very much doubt it. I think that the constitution will make it clear that the King is the King, the Prince of Wales is the Prince of Wales and the rest is unsaid. That's what the Spanish constitution says; The King is King and the Heir is the Prince of the Asturias. It says the Queen Consort has a role to support her husband but it doesn't mention her title as far as I know. Our one might do which would be a good way of dealing with the Princess Consort issue.

I do agree that having it written down is so much better than relying on precedent and Acts. This is fine (and after all, it was always done so in Britain, and you're managed to say afloat quite nicely) yet having it as a written document and upheld in the courts will give you a code that cannot be altered by any mere Act. If it is anything like our constitution, the process to amend it will be much more trouble than anyone wants to bother with! :D
I do agree this is a clean way of settling the matter of the Monarch, the Heir, and the consort. Maybe this Constitution is going to consider the possibility of doing away with primogeniture????

Last edited:
I think it will include that CasiraghiTrio. The great thing about this constitution is that is will modernise certain things and I think Gordon Brown intends to listen to the Fabian Society's recommendations on modernising the monarchy when he drafts the new constitution. I think this has to include primogeniture and will possibly trim down the Royal Family for the future.

Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh, sensibly dressed for the Scottish Weather performing the last engagement at the end of the Scottish Royal Week Queen Elizabeth II visits East Lothian, Scotland - 06 Jul 2007 ----> Picture 1 ; Picture 2 ; Gallery of Pictures from Isifa

Queen Elizabeth ll and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh hold a reception for those who have made a significant contribution to Scottish life at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Scotland. Edinburgh, SCOTLAND-05/07/07
The Queen ; The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh ; The Queen and singer Paolo Nutini ; The Queen with actor Brian Cox

I've moved the discussion about the cost of the upkeep of Buckingham Palace and Clarence House to the Royals and Finances thread, at least for the time being, since it was beginning to derail this thread:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/royals-finances-9826.html

If you want to carry on discussing this issue, please feel free to do it there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom