The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Pics 14.6.2007

Here's a picture gallery with pics from today:

GBR: 25th Anniversary Of The Falklands Conflict Remembered

This one is quite cute :
A school girl looks through the legs of her fellow pupils to catch a glimse of VIP arrivals at The Falkland
Islands Memorial Chapel at Pangbourne College on June 14, 2007 in Berkshire, England. Macdiarmid/Getty Images
Pic

Old 06-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Courtier

more pics...
Fotobanka isifa image service

more pics cute children...
Fotobanka isifa image service

more pics...
Abaca Press Americas Search Results

Old 06-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I watched the service on the BBC and was utterly appalled when Cherie Blair refused to curtsey or bow her head, despite her husband bowing just seconds before the Queen shook hands with Cherie. Baroness Thatcher meant more to me today than ever; Cherie grinned inanely at the Queen but wouldn't curtsey, the Queen moved onto Margaret who dropped the finest curtsey and bowed her head. Marvellous - now you tell me who's got more class? Margaret Beckett also pulled off a nice curtsey but only gave a slight bow of the head to the Duke of Edinburgh. Very strange.
I wonder if Cherie will make Tony refuse the peerage that's usually offered to ex-PMs.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Imperial Majesty

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
I wonder if Cherie will make Tony refuse the peerage that's usually offered to ex-PMs.
Don't be silly! She isn't that principled!
Old 06-14-2007, 04:08 PM

Oh we can be sure that Baroness Blair will lap up her role as Lady of the Manor. Odious woman.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

I don't think they even have a manor! She could never be mistaken for a Lady either!

Perhaps HM could bring in new rules and exclude them.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:22 PM

Oh I don't know - have you heard how much the place in Connaught Square cost? I'd love HM to say in a public address, "Thank God those two are going because they've really got on my boobies for the last 10 years".
Old 06-14-2007, 04:39 PM
Nobility

Was Prince Andrew there?
Old 06-14-2007, 04:40 PM

No. He was conspicuous by his absence. Edward was in the Falklands which was an odd choice so I'm not sure where Andrew was.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Pics 15.6.2007

Prince Philip holding a copy of the new Shakespeare Globe first folio edition of 'Love's Labour's Lost' - Prince Philip was visiting Shakespeare's Globe Theatre on the occasion of the tenth anniversary of it's opening, London, Britain - 15 Jun 2007

Pic 1
Pic 2
Picture gallery from isifa
Old 06-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
No. He was conspicuous by his absence. Edward was in the Falklands which was an odd choice so I'm not sure where Andrew was.
Maybe they invited the Earl of Wessex because of his title and not because if he fought or not. To me it makes more sense that Andrew would be their too.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:27 PM

The Queen's Birthday Honours are out so prepare for a barrage of anti-monarchist crap. A link to the honours in full;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/h..._hons_main.pdf

Some highlights are:

Ian Botham - Knighthood
Salman Rushdie - Knighthood
Barry Humphries (Dame Edna) gets a CBE
Stephan Poliakoff gets a CBE
David Starkey gets a CBE
Jane Tomlinson gets a CBE
Joe Cocker gets an OBE
Ryan Giggs gets an OBE
Peter Sallis gets an OBE
Bill Pertwee gets an MBE

Sylvia Sims also gets an OBE - she played the Queen Mother in "The Queen". Sadly, June Whitfield and Liz Smith were not given anything this year (I'd signed petitions for both to get Damehoods) and Barry Humphries loses out on a Knighthood which I would think was far more appropriate than a CBE. Oh well.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Vice-Admiral Timothy Laurence was also made a CB in the Ministry of Defence list.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
T and Barry Humphries loses out on a Knighthood which I would think was far more appropriate than a CBE. Oh well.
Would he have been made a "Sir" or would "Dame" Edna finally receive a lawful title?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:35 PM

Well, there was a spell when Edna didn't use her Damehood. This was during the Republic referendum and she put herself out as "Mrs Edna Everage" but now she seems happy to use the Damehood again.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan View Post
Well, there was a spell when Edna didn't use her Damehood. This was during the Republic referendum and she put herself out as "Mrs Edna Everage" but now she seems happy to use the Damehood again.
BTW - did you realise that "Dame" Edna is in fact a "Dr." Edna? I was not really surprised but impressed to see that in the list (am still a believer in academic merits...).
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:07 PM

I had no idea that BH had a Doctorate or that his name is John and not Barry! I'm glad he got a CBE to add to his AO but I think Sir Barry Humphries would have been nicer.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Whats CB? something in the Military I Imagine
Old 06-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Fan View Post
Whats CB? something in the Military I Imagine
Companion of the Order of the Bath. I'm pretty sure it's related to his new rank and position, since it's in the military division of the Order.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:34 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Royal Ascot thread is here:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...years-143.html

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii