Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 14: February-May 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the new portrait of her majesty is simply gorgeous. the lighting and the mood that is conveyed is stunning and i've been a great fan of leibovitz's work in the past, but this particular portrait is one of her best in recent times. fabulous!

I love the new portrait. It's just beautiful. Much better than Rolf's cartoon attempt.

I love the new portrait too! She looks so regal! But, no surprise there, she always is! I'm glad to see she is wearing the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara! Lovely

The Queen is just wonderful and fantastic at this new portrait, she's really The Queen!!!

I don't know if this current event has made it to the RF, but just in case it hasn't, here is an article about the recent picture of the Queen to coincide with the Royal visit to the US. I personally like the photo myself, because it speaks volumes to me in different sorts of way. There is a sense of calmness, yet apprehension as the Queen sits looking out the door with the countryside in the background.

Critics not amused by queen photo

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- An American photographer famed for showing celebrities naked or bathing in asses' milk chose a more traditional pose for Britain's Queen Elizabeth, but Annie Leibovitz's new work sharply divided critics on Wednesday.
John Lennon appeared naked and Clint Eastwood was bound with ropes, but Leibovitz opted to have her subject in full evening dress for an official portrait marking the queen's visit to the United States.
Washington Post culture critic Henry Allen was not amused, complaining that the portrait of the monarch sitting in the White Drawing Room at Buckingham Palace had "all the personality of a marble bust of George Washington." (Larger view of photo)

Critics not amused by queen photo - CNN.com

40,000 Light Bulbs in Her Home, can Queen Elizabeth Can Alter Her Carbon Footprint?

Can the Queen Go Green?

This week, the queen of England will be visiting the United States, not a rare occurrence for her majesty, who loves to travel.
During her 55 years on the throne, Queen Elizabeth has visited 129 countries. She has traveled the length and breadth of the earth, making her perhaps the best-known, best-loved and most-informed British sovereign of all time.
But according to environmental activists, the queen's many expeditions have come at a dreadful cost to the planet. They see aviation as a prime cause of global warming.

ABC News: Green Queen? Royals Get Eco-Conscious

Jo of Palatine said:
Can anyone point me to the Beaton portrait of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother which is mentioned in the article?
Jo, check out this post and this post to give you an idea of the "Beaton influence".

thanks Warren, I like the one where she sits in a red chair. The similarity with Annie's picture is also that it is still daylight but not dark enough to light the lamps. Someone said that it looks stormy outside because of the fighting in Irak by the US and the UK.

Warren said:
Jo, check out this post and this post to give you an idea of the "Beaton influence".

Such is the depth of the Leibovitz portrait: it gives rise to various interpretations and meanings on different levels.

I do not think it has anything to do with that. Why must we always go back to Iraq in every forum??????

Let the beautiful picture stand for itself. Classic Annie L., shot in a similar style as to how she does the Vogue covers with her use of lighting.

Honest to goodness...must everything tie back to Iraq??/

I can't say that so far I have been impressed by any of the photo's shown. The first one (the official one) you need a magnifying glass to see the Queen, it seemed as if the photographer was more intent on showing the room and garden, than the subject. The second one, as they say, looks like the Scottish Widows advert! In fact the SW's is a lot lighter! :lol:

Skydragon said:
I can't say that so far I have been impressed by any of the photo's shown. The first one (the official one) you need a magnifying glass to see the Queen, it seemed as if the photographer was more intent on showing the room and garden, than the subject. The second one, as they say, looks like the Scottish Widows advert! In fact the SW's is a lot lighter! :lol:
It's eeire - what did Leibovitz think? That the queen walks the fields where her soldiers lost their lifes? We're not in 1945 and she is not the loser of this war! Or is she haunted by her Annus Horribilis?

IMHO this pic was influences by the film "The Queen" and I don't like that at all! Helen Mirren played a movie part posing as Her Majesty in the way the director wanted her to - why does the real person now has to pose as if she was part of the movie?

Last edited:
Well I have to say that I quite like both portraits. Very atmospheric.

The Liebowitz photo

Re the Annie Liebowitz official photo -- it IS a fascinating picture, as all of her portraits are fascinating. But to me it says death, looking back, an era that's gone, the queen as lonely monarch surrounded by gold but losing relevance. Of course the queen herself saves the image by being her usual dignified self, but I just find the general sense of the photo creepy.

Two grate portraits/photos of HM:)

Re:The First Photograph shown What a stunningly beautiful portrait of the Queen;Annie Leibovitz did an excellent job!The Queen looks both serene and regal and the background is gorgeous.

The second photo was a little too dark and ominous to me,too dreary;maybe the cloak should have been a light color...I didn't like this one.

Last edited:
Just an observation of mine. It appears that ALL of the Queens grandchildren are engaged in relationships that involve with either living with the opposite sex or just about living with the opposite sex. Such as Zara and Mike Tindall. There doesn't seem to be any thing said about these affairs that must be deemed okay with the Queen and Prince Philip and, of course, the parents of the grandchildren. It also appears that all the grandchildren seem to be following one another in these type of relationships and not committing to a marriage that may or may not be successful. It's also interesting that all of the Queen's grandchildren are from broken homes.

Not being from the UK, what is the publics perception of the Queen’s family, which I understand suppose to represent the morals, virtues and tradition of being English, engaged in such behaviour of promiscuity, drinking too much, spending hordes of money in clubs and bars, having children outside of wedlock and generally at times not showing the responsibility that the Queen has shown throughout her reign?

What has the public been told about the Queen and Prince Philip view on such issues of failed marriages and grandchildren delaying marriage well into their 30’s?

In fact, what is the British view on marrying in the 20’s? Do most English feel that marrying in their late 20’s and early 30’s guarantee more success in holding a marriage down, such as what I’ve heard the Queen suggesting according to this forum?

HRH Kimetha said:
J It appears that ALL of the Queens grandchildren are engaged in relationships.... It's also interesting that all of the Queen's grandchildren are from broken homes.
Well, not ALL the grandchildren; Lady Louise Windsor is neither from a broken home nor in a relationship. ;)

.. what is the publics perception of the Queen’s family...having children outside of wedlock..
There are no "children outside of wedlock" in the Royal Family. However, they can be found in the Lascelles family, descendants of George V.

What has the public been told about the Queen and Prince Philip view on such issues of failed marriages and grandchildren delaying marriage well into their 30’s?
It is very rare for the Queen to make public her private views on any subject.

Warren said:

There are no "children outside of wedlock" in the Royal Family. However, they can be found in the Lascelles family, descendants of George V.

It is very rare for the Queen to make public her private views on any subject.

I thought there was one daughter from a cousin of the Queens that had a child outside of wedlock. I just can't think of who she is.

I know it's kinda of rare for the Queen to make her views public, but there may be bits and pieces that have come out over the years from people who knew or know her that can reveal her feelings about certain issues.:)

HRH Kimetha said:
I thought there was one daughter from a cousin of the Queens that had a child outside of wedlock. I just can't think of who she is.
Marina Ogilvie, second cousin to the Queen, the daughter of Sir Angus Ogilvy and Princess Alexandra was 5 months pregnant when she got married, thus avoiding being the first royal to have a child out of wedlock.

Skydragon said:
Marina Ogilvie, second cousin to the Queen, the daughter of Sir Angus Ogilvy and Princess Alexandra was 5 months pregnant when she got married, thus avoiding being the first royal to have a child out of wedlock.

Thanks, Skydragon & Warren.:)

In the fashion sense, has the Queen ever wore any designer jeans for older adults? I've seen her in pants before, but not jeans. I guess around the house, she must wear some sort of lighter clothing such as slacks and just a top.:)

HRH Kimetha said:
In the fashion sense, has the Queen ever wore any designer jeans for older adults? I've seen her in pants before, but not jeans. I guess around the house, she must wear some sort of lighter clothing such as slacks and just a top.:)
It is extremely rare for the queen to be seen in any kind of trousers, apart from johdpurs when riding. One of very few times was on leaving hospital following an operation on her knee - & those were made for her by her personal dresser. Even at her most casual HM normally wears skirts - often tartan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom