Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 13: November 2006-Feb 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avalon

Heir Apparent
City
Yerevan
Country
Armenia
UnitedKingdom.jpg

Welcome to Part 14 of the Current Events of The Queen
and the Duke of Edinburgh.

it starts on November 25

Part 13, covering October - November 2006 can be found here

Royal visit at Ipswich train station
"COMMUTERS at Ipswich train station could not believe their eyes when the Queen and Prince Philip unexpectedly graced Suffolk.
But there was none of the usual pomp and circumstance of a royal visit and the pair rubbed shoulders with other passengers as they bustled their way to the end of the platform and into the car park before disappearing into the town in a Land Rover driven by Prince Philip."

http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/content/eveningstar/news/story.aspx?brand=ESTOnline&category=News&tBrand=ESTOnline&tCategory=News&itemid=IPED24%20Nov%202006%2007%3A10%3A04%3A053

and

http://www.eadt.co.uk/content/eadt/news/story.aspx?brand=EADOnline&category=News&tBrand=EADOnline&tCategory=News&itemid=IPED24%20Nov%202006%2000%3A00%3A41%3A600

Last edited:
Aww thats nice! I'm glad that the Queen and her husband are able to get out and about with minimul fuss. The Queen's back must be feeling better, or at least I hope so! I must be a dork because I always think that it is so cute when they do things together, just the two of them.....or maybe I'm more of a romantic than I thought...........Random thought: I wonder if Prince Philip's driving has mellowed at all. I remember reading in one of the Queen's biographies (I own many) that whenever she rode in the car that Philip was driving, she would draw in a sharp breath when he turned corners because he was driving so fast, and he told her something along the lines of: "If you don't stop doing that I shall put you out of the car" Am I blind or has no one mentioned/ discussed seeing the movie "The Queen?" I thought it was spiffy....if my two cents are worth anything with current exchange rates.~QM

QueenMaharet said:
... I must be a dork because I always think that it is so cute when they do things together, just the two of them.....or maybe I'm more of a romantic than I thought
Then I'm a dork too because I too think its cute that they do things together--like going together on a private weekend, so much is speculated about their marriage but things like this are rather telling. All in all despite everything that is said about prince philip he's been there supporting the queen publicly for all these years and never embarrasing her (ie by the outing of any supposed affairs) and yes he got a lot in marrying the queen but for being the type of person he is it must have been truly a sacrifice to take the backseat, walk behind her, let her always be the center of attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
BeatrixFan said:
Good. Hooligan. They should throw away the key.
...since he hates both Queen and country, they should also throw him back to the wolves in his own country as well as the key! :mad:

selrahc4 said:
Royal visit at Ipswich train station
"COMMUTERS at Ipswich train station could not believe their eyes when the Queen and Prince Philip unexpectedly graced Suffolk.
But there was none of the usual pomp and circumstance of a royal visit and the pair rubbed shoulders with other passengers as they bustled their way to the end of the platform and into the car park before disappearing into the town in a Land Rover driven by Prince Philip."
I wonder what the passenger now thinks of the missed opportunity to actually see the Queen instead of the "television celebrity" that person thought she was. I wonder how many people got pictures of the Royal couple from their phones?

I always delight in stories like these because of my fondness for the Queen and having the ability or want to just travel like others for the sheer sense of fun. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rolf's Queen portrait on display

Rolf Harris has admitted the prospect of painting an official portrait of the Queen made him shake with nerves. The 76-year-old artist said he felt as if he was "on the starting blocks at the Olympics, waiting for the gun to go off" as he prepared to paint the Queen.

QueenMaharet said:
Aww thats nice! I'm glad that the Queen and her husband are able to get out and about with minimul fuss. The Queen's back must be feeling better, or at least I hope so! I must be a dork because I always think that it is so cute when they do things together, just the two of them.....or maybe I'm more of a romantic than I thought...........Random thought: I wonder if Prince Philip's driving has mellowed at all. I remember reading in one of the Queen's biographies (I own many) that whenever she rode in the car that Philip was driving, she would draw in a sharp breath when he turned corners because he was driving so fast, and he told her something along the lines of: "If you don't stop doing that I shall put you out of the car" Am I blind or has no one mentioned/ discussed seeing the movie "The Queen?" I thought it was spiffy....if my two cents are worth anything with current exchange rates.~QM

I too liked the movie The Queen. I don't think it portrayed her in a bad light at all. She was just doing things as they had always been done. Do you recall what nickname Philip called her as he was getting into bed & told her to "shove over". I remember laughing at it but I can't remember it now. Driving me nuts.:wacko:

As for the train, I probably would have thought I was on Candid Camera & these 2 people were impersonators. I would have laughed it off that they really do resemble QEII & Philip and then would have passed out when I found out it really was them.:ohmy: :turned:

I think this shows a pretty stark change in the Royal Family. Camilla's been doing her Christmas shopping today, the Queen and Prince Philip are travelling first class on normal trains. It's all very "Danish" and maybe the Queen is leading the family in a new style. Maybe she sees the way Queen Margrethe pops to the shops and sees it as the way forward. I think it's a good thing - as long as HM is safe, I think it's to be applauded.

I too liked the movie The Queen. I don't think it portrayed her in a bad light at all. She was just doing things as they had always been done. Do you recall what nickname Philip called her as he was getting into bed & told her to "shove over". I remember laughing at it but I can't remember it now. Driving me nuts.

"Move over Cabbage"

Thats what he said. ^_^ I thought it was done very nicely, and in a good way as well! It was interesting to see the play between Mr Blair and the Queen.

There were also some other conversations in the movie that I thought were interesting, like the one between her and Prince Charles on motherhood..........and between her and Philip on the subject of keeping a mistress..........(not a full blown conversation, but it was mentioned)

~QM

QueenMaharet said:
"Move over Cabbage"

That's it!!!:lol: Thank you so much QM for saving what is left of my sanity. It was cute when he said it, but I don't think I'd like being called Cabbage.:ermm:

You know, I don't think I would like being called cabbage either....I wonder how that nickname/ term of endearment originated and how many nicknames he has for her. I know that he occasionally called her "bet" which is short for Lilibet, and that nowadays he is just about the only one that calls her Lilibet.

As far as I know, she only calls him Darling :wub: .........anyone else know of any nicknames/ terms of endearment she may have for him?

~QM

I think "cabbage" is rather cute.. A cheeky husband I think :flowers:

BeatrixFan said:
I think this shows a pretty stark change in the Royal Family. Camilla's been doing her Christmas shopping today, the Queen and Prince Philip are travelling first class on normal trains. It's all very "Danish" and maybe the Queen is leading the family in a new style. Maybe she sees the way Queen Margrethe pops to the shops and sees it as the way forward. I think it's a good thing - as long as HM is safe, I think it's to be applauded.

And she's been getting her Christmas puddings from Tesco. Mind you, if Mohamed Al Fayed hadn't been the owner of Harrods, Tesco might not have received the royal Christmas pudding order.

Originally Posted by Elspeth
And she's been getting her Christmas puddings from Tesco.

Doesn't she have a chef that could cook that for her? Nothing against getting a pudding from a store........but isn't "home made" better? Not that it would really be home made I guess since it would be made by a chef anyway...................... *sigh* So confusing!

Back to my original question.......doesn't she have a chef to make that for her?

~QM

QueenMaharet said:
Doesn't she have a chef that could cook that for her? Nothing against getting a pudding from a store........but isn't "home made" better? Not that it would really be home made I guess since it would be made by a chef anyway...................... *sigh* So confusing!

~QM

I'm not so sure they are for the Queen herself, rather a 'little something' for members of her staff.

Does anyone know for sure?

QueenMaharet said:
Am I blind or has no one mentioned/ discussed seeing the movie "The Queen?" I thought it was spiffy.
You're not blind, you just have to know where to look (or use the 'search' function).
Discussion of "The Queen" is here.

Madame Royale said:
I'm not so sure they are for the Queen herself, rather a 'little something' for members of her staff.

Does anyone know for sure?

Yes, I think they were the ones she gives to her staff for Christmas; I'm sure the pudding at the royal dinner table will have been made by the chef.

Elspeth said:
Yes, I think they were the ones she gives to her staff for Christmas; I'm sure the pudding at the royal dinner table will have been made by the chef.

Thank you, Elspeth :)

Pics 24.11.2006

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II and The Duke of Edinburgh on a pheasant shoot at Helmingham Hall, Suffolk, UK on November 24, 2006. Photos by Nunn Syndication/ABACAUSA.COM

Pic 1 Pic 2 Talking with the dog

Avalon said:
Rolf's Queen portrait on display

Rolf Harris has admitted the prospect of painting an official portrait of the Queen made him shake with nerves. The 76-year-old artist said he felt as if he was "on the starting blocks at the Olympics, waiting for the gun to go off" as he prepared to paint the Queen.

This is a much better looking portrait than that last one I saw where the Queen looked so old and crabby. :)

Elspeth said:
And she's been getting her Christmas puddings from Tesco. Mind you, if Mohamed Al Fayed hadn't been the owner of Harrods, Tesco might not have received the royal Christmas pudding order.

What does that mean? Does he own both Harrods & Tesco? Just trying to understand your comment, Elspeth.:)

Last edited:
No, he just owns Harrods. The Queen used to get her puddings from Harrods, apparently, but when Mohamed Fayed started accusing Prince Philip of having had Diana murdered, the members of the royal family let it be known that their royal warrants for Harrods wouldn't be renewed when they expired (so he took all the "by appointment" badges off the front of the building immediately - the Queen's, the Queen Mother's, Prince Philip's, and Prince Charles's) and she stopped buying stuff there. Next thing we heard, her Christmas puddings were being ordered from Tesco. I assume that if Fayed hadn't had his little run-in with the royal family over Diana, the Queen would still be shopping at Harrods.

Elspeth said:
No, he just owns Harrods. The Queen used to get her puddings from Harrods, apparently, but when Mohamed Fayed started accusing Prince Philip of having had Diana murdered, the members of the royal family let it be known that their royal warrants for Harrods wouldn't be renewed when they expired (so he took all the "by appointment" badges off the front of the building immediately - the Queen's, the Queen Mother's, Prince Philip's, and Prince Charles's) and she stopped buying stuff there. Next thing we heard, her Christmas puddings were being ordered from Tesco. I assume that if Fayed hadn't had his little run-in with the royal family over Diana, the Queen would still be shopping at Harrods.

Thanks for your answer, Elspeth. Now it makes sense to me.:)

On the pudding issue, it's interesting to note that this last Sunday was Stir-Up Sunday, the day that we traditionally make Christmas puddings. At the Palace, they make puddings for every member of staff which the Queen presents to them. She goes down to the kitchens and makes a wish as she stirs the mix, as is the tradition. I find that very sweet.

Elise27 said:
the queen does not look amused!
Well, that's no surprise with that bad weather ;) :)

Queen Elizabeth II attends a reception at St James's Palace to mark the 350th Anniversary of the re-establishment of the Jewish community in London, England- 28.11.06:

Queen 1 Queen smiling Queen 3

Royal toilet spat? Honestly, you couldn't make it up, could you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom