The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #161  
Old 02-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,906
After the death of the Duke of Edinburgh, the title will be merged with the Crown. It is intended that at some point The Earl of Wessex will indeed get it.

You can find more detailed discussion about this in the Questions About Titles thread.
__________________

__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
  #162  
Old 02-07-2007, 04:32 PM
jcbcode99's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond Area, United States
Posts: 1,980
Well, I like that! I always thought that Edward should have received the title of Duke, and Sophie will make a lovely duchess. Thank you for answering my questions.
What titles does Edward hold, anyway?
Janet
__________________

__________________
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
  #163  
Old 02-07-2007, 04:34 PM
wbenson's Avatar
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: -, United States
Posts: 2,304
The title won't merge with the crown until the Queen dies. The Prince of Wales will inherit the title. If that's before the Queen dies, he becomes the Duke of Edinburgh (but probably won't use the title). If it's after the Queen dies, it merges with the Crown.
  #164  
Old 02-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Henri M.'s Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Eindhoven / Maastricht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson
The title won't merge with the crown until the Queen dies. The Prince of Wales will inherit the title. If that's before the Queen dies, he becomes the Duke of Edinburgh (but probably won't use the title). If it's after the Queen dies, it merges with the Crown.
The line of succession for Prince Philip's peerages is: Charles -> William -> Henry -> Andrew -> Edward

The route is as following:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Prince Philip dies and Queen Elizabeth is still Sovereign:

- Prince Charles will inherit his peerages (and become 2nd Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich)
- When Prince Charles dies before the kingship, his son Prince William will become 3rd Duke of Edinburgh
- When Prince Charles (or Prince William) assumes the Kingship after Queen Elizabeth II, the peerages will revert to the Crown.

It is solely upon His Majesty's pleasure to create a new Dukedom for Prince Edward, if he wishes so. Prince Edward will then become the 1st Duke of Edinburgh (of the new creation). Because he has no male heirs, it will again revert to the Crown after Prince Edward's death

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prince Philip dies and King Charles is Sovereign:

His eldest son, The King, will inherit his peerages but these will merge with the Crown.

It is solely upon His Majesty's pleasure to create a new Dukedom for Prince Edward, if he wishes so. Prince Edward will then become the 1st Duke of Edinburgh (of the new creation). Because he has no male heirs, it will again revert to the Crown after Prince Edward's death
  #165  
Old 02-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ***, United States
Posts: 16,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbcode99
Well, I like that! I always thought that Edward should have received the title of Duke, and Sophie will make a lovely duchess. Thank you for answering my questions.
What titles does Edward hold, anyway?
Janet
Edward is Earl of Wessex and Viscount Severn. It was stated at the time of his wedding, although I don't remember how authoritative the source was, that it was intended for him to to become Duke of Edinburgh on the death of both parents. Mind you, they also tell us that it's intended that Camilla will be Princess Consort to King Charles, and there are any number of legal difficulties with that, so who knows. Maybe if Edward does become a royal Duke, Lady Louise will start using the HRH Princess Louise handle that she's entitled to.
  #166  
Old 02-07-2007, 06:59 PM
jcbcode99's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Richmond Area, United States
Posts: 1,980
Elspeth,
I totally agree that Lady Louise Windsor should be referred to as Princess Louise, and while I understand the idea behind her parents choosing that she not have the title of princess, I think it is a shame. That should be Lady Louise's choice, and hopefully, she will decide to use that title one day.

Thank you for the information regarding Edward, Earl of Wessex and Viscont Severn. I think he would make a marvelous Duke of Edinburgh.
Janet
__________________
Janet

"We make a living by what we do; we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill
  #167  
Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Sister Morphine's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North Carolina, United States
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
If someone dared you to eat a bit would you? I probably would just to say I'd eaten some of Queen Victoria's wedding cake.

I don't know if I'd risk it. Who knows what kind of sickness you could get from eating cake that's over a century and a half old.


If you got me drunk enough, I'd eat it....only because I wouldn't know what I was eating!
__________________
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
  #168  
Old 02-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
The line of succession for Prince Philip's peerages is: Charles -> William -> Henry -> Andrew -> Edward

The route is as following:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Prince Philip dies and Queen Elizabeth is still Sovereign:

- Prince Charles will inherit his peerages (and become 2nd Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich)
- When Prince Charles dies before the kingship, his son Prince William will become 3rd Duke of Edinburgh
- When Prince Charles (or Prince William) assumes the Kingship after Queen Elizabeth II, the peerages will revert to the Crown.

It is solely upon His Majesty's pleasure to create a new Dukedom for Prince Edward, if he wishes so. Prince Edward will then become the 1st Duke of Edinburgh (of the new creation). Because he has no male heirs, it will again revert to the Crown after Prince Edward's death

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prince Philip dies and King Charles is Sovereign:

His eldest son, The King, will inherit his peerages but these will merge with the Crown.

It is solely upon His Majesty's pleasure to create a new Dukedom for Prince Edward, if he wishes so. Prince Edward will then become the 1st Duke of Edinburgh (of the new creation). Because he has no male heirs, it will again revert to the Crown after Prince Edward's death

As this will be a new creation it is possible for the King (Charles/William or ??) to allow for female inheritance - a precedence has been set for this sort of inheritance with the Mountbatten title which allowed for female inheritance due to Lord Mountbatten having no sons at the time of the creation. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened as it is obvious that the Queen and the present Duke would like the title to pass on through subsequent generations. That would mean that at some future date Louise would be a Duchess in her own right - but as the parents want her to have a low key upbringing and I suspect a life out of the limelight they mightn't want that anyway.
  #169  
Old 02-08-2007, 02:14 AM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 589
I am thinking about the same thing about Countess Mountbatten, but I doubt that either Charles or William will allow female inherance to pass this title. After all this title can be resevered for husband for the future Queen regina after Prince Edward's male line dies out. The best thing is to let Countess of Wessex and Prince Edward to have a boy as his heir.
  #170  
Old 02-08-2007, 04:45 AM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by love_cc
I am thinking about the same thing about Countess Mountbatten, but I doubt that either Charles or William will allow female inherance to pass this title. After all this title can be resevered for husband for the future Queen regina after Prince Edward's male line dies out. The best thing is to let Countess of Wessex and Prince Edward to have a boy as his heir.

Considering the Countess's current age and the problems she has already had having Louise do you really think that they are seriously going to try to have another child - knowing that there is a 50% chance they will have another girl.

On the other hand I think that allowing female succession is very possible in this case as a mark of respect to the current holder - in order to allow his title to pass to his heirs (albeit through a younger son but still an heir).

I can see your argument of course but it could be a century or more before we have another Queen Regnant and the attachment to the Edinburgh title will have passed by then (like Queen Victoria's desire to have all those in line to the British throne have either Victoria or Albert in their names - didn't even last one full generation after her death e.g. the present Queen - 25 years after Victoria's death and the reports are that Victoria wasn't even considered as a possible name).
  #171  
Old 02-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: katonah, United States
Posts: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy57
Considering the Countess's current age and the problems she has already had having Louise do you really think that they are seriously going to try to have another child - knowing that there is a 50% chance they will have another girl.

On the other hand I think that allowing female succession is very possible in this case as a mark of respect to the current holder - in order to allow his title to pass to his heirs (albeit through a younger son but still an heir).

I can see your argument of course but it could be a century or more before we have another Queen Regnant and the attachment to the Edinburgh title will have passed by then (like Queen Victoria's desire to have all those in line to the British throne have either Victoria or Albert in their names - didn't even last one full generation after her death e.g. the present Queen - 25 years after Victoria's death and the reports are that Victoria wasn't even considered as a possible name).
We have the medical technology to guarantee a male child, if she is able to get pregnant and carry the child to term. Because it'd an invitro process, they can do preimplantation genetics testing so that the child does not have down's syndrom which as you know is an issue in pregnancies in your late thirties and early forties. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that the Japanese CP hasnt gone this route. How old is Sophie now?
  #172  
Old 02-12-2007, 04:11 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 10,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
We have the medical technology to guarantee a male child, if she is able to get pregnant and carry the child to term. Because it'd an invitro process, they can do preimplantation genetics testing so that the child does not have down's syndrom which as you know is an issue in pregnancies in your late thirties and early forties. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that the Japanese CP hasnt gone this route. How old is Sophie now?

She was 42 last week.

The big problem is her ability to take a child to term - Louise was born early and almost killed Sophie. Her earlier pregnancy also almost killed her - the ectopic one. That is why I don't think they would take the risk to have another child.
  #173  
Old 02-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: San Francisco, United States
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
We have the medical technology to guarantee a male child, if she is able to get pregnant and carry the child to term. Because it'd an invitro process, they can do preimplantation genetics testing so that the child does not have down's syndrom which as you know is an issue in pregnancies in your late thirties and early forties. Quite frankly, I'm amazed that the Japanese CP hasnt gone this route. How old is Sophie now?
I've ALWAYS wondered why the Japanese CP didn't do this route....well, his brother obvisouly beat him to it. Did anyone doubt that the child would be a boy?

OK, sorry, back to topic!
  #174  
Old 02-15-2007, 08:35 AM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Arsenal to have tea with the Queen

Top English football club Arsenal will have tea with the Queen following her unavailability for the opening of their new Emirates stadium in October
  #175  
Old 02-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,906
Queen Elizabeth II meets members of the English Premier League soccer team Arsenal, Thursday, Feb. 15, 2007. The Queen finally met the team for tea today - four months after she was forced to take time out due to injury. The 80-year-old monarch cancelled a trip to see the club's new Emirates Stadium in October after suffering from a bad back.

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth with Justin Hoyte, Theo Walcott, Freddie Ljungberg and Thierry Henry
Queen Elizabeth, Arsene Wenger and the clubs chairman Peter Hill-Wood

Members of the Arsenal Team (Freddie Ljungberg and Jens Lehmann)
Members of the Arsenal Team


Pictures from Wenn
__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
  #176  
Old 02-15-2007, 04:33 PM
Skydragon's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London and Highlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,945
Rare royal letter goes under hammer

In a rare auction, a letter written by Queen Elizabeth II when she was a schoolgirl will go under the hammer next month, recounting her youthful joy while horseriding.

Rare royal letter goes under hammer | NEWS.com.au

I know it's 'old fashioned', but I feel that private letters written to anyone should remain just that... private.
  #177  
Old 02-15-2007, 05:23 PM
ysbel's Avatar
Heir Apparent
TRF Author
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New York, United States
Posts: 5,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Queen Elizabeth II meets members of the English Premier League soccer team Arsenal, Thursday, Feb. 15, 2007. The Queen finally met the team for tea today - four months after she was forced to take time out due to injury. The 80-year-old monarch cancelled a trip to see the club's new Emirates Stadium in October after suffering from a bad back.

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth with Justin Hoyte, Theo Walcott, Freddie Ljungberg and Thierry Henry
Queen Elizabeth, Arsene Wenger and the clubs chairman Peter Hill-Wood

Members of the Arsenal Team (Freddie Ljungberg and Jens Lehmann)
Members of the Arsenal Team


Pictures from Wenn
Wow, last year Lehmann had an audience with Angela Merkel and now he has an audience with the Queen.

I wonder how weird it must have felt for the Queen to visit an English team whose team roster is anything but English.
__________________
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
  #178  
Old 02-15-2007, 05:26 PM
selrahc4's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
I know it's 'old fashioned', but I feel that private letters written to anyone should remain just that... private.
I agree, Skydragon, up to a point, I guess. I keep feeling that at some time they can become important historical documents, but much farther into the future.
__________________
aka Janet on some other forums
  #179  
Old 02-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Avalon's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Posts: 5,906
Freddie and Thierry sweeten things up at Buckingham Palace

You don't need to be a football fan to get excited about meeting Calvin Klein model and Arsenal ace Freddie Ljungberg. And Queen Elizabeth certainly seemed to be enjoying herself when she welcomed the chisel-jawed athlete and several of his Arsenal team-mates to her London home on Thursday.
Sipping tea in Buckingham Palace made for a rather different experience to the rough and tumble of premiership football, but the reception was a sweet encounter for the hunky star, who was snapped daintily helping himself to sugar.
__________________
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
  #180  
Old 02-16-2007, 12:06 PM
iceflower's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: , Germany
Posts: 32,683
Pics 16.02.2007

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip during a visit to Millwall Fire Station in London's Docklands, 16 February 2007. The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh received a briefing on operations and watched participants in the "LIFE Program". The program is an intensive course in which young people learn firefighting skills alongside real firefighters. The youngsters aged between 13-18 are responsible for managing and maintaining a fire engine, firefighting equipment, the station and their own protective equipment. The program started in 2002 and has grown to become a nationally acclaimed scheme used across London and by six other fire services. AFP PHOTO/ADRIAN DENNIS/WPA POOL/AFP

A sweet smile for Philip
The Queen presenting a certificate to a student
During the demonstration
__________________

__________________
**** Welcome aboard! ****
Closed Thread

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 12: October-November 2006 Avalon Current Events Archive 195 11-24-2006 05:12 PM
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 11: July-October 2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 199 10-23-2006 02:50 PM
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 10: April-July 2006 Elspeth Current Events Archive 216 07-21-2006 12:32 PM
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 9: December 2005-April 2006 Martine Current Events Archive 198 04-14-2006 05:08 PM
Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 8: September-November 2005 Elspeth Current Events Archive 198 11-30-2005 02:13 PM




Popular Tags
ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit best outfit october 2016 camillas outfits catherine middleton style coup d'etat crown prince haakon crown princess mary crown princess mary fashion crown princess mette-marit current events duchess of cambridge e-mail fashion poll grand duke jean greece kate middleton king abdullah ii king felipe king felipe vi king willem-alexander martha louise member introduction monarchy multiple births new zealand nobel gala norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince bernhard prince charles princess madeleine princess marie princess mary princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess victoria princess victoria fashion queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen letizia style queen mathilde queen mathildes outfits queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania royal fashion september 2016 state visit state visit to denmark succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016
Jelsoft Enterprises