The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

First female Commanding Officer for the King's Troop

Major Erica Bridge has joined the King's Troop Royal Horse Artillery (KTRHA) as it's first female Commanding Officer.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...KingsTroop.htm

Woman major to lead queen's guards

LONDON -- The army unit that guards Queen Elizabeth II has appointed the first woman commander in its 350-year history

http://www.suntimes.com/news/world/2...ards17.article

Old 01-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
First female Commanding Officer for the King's Troop
Thanks for posting that, Skydragon. Nice story. The ultimate job for a keen horsewoman. I bet she'll get to wear some fancy ceremonial uniforms.

I note it's called the King's Troop. Anyone know why it's not called the Queen's Troop?

Old 01-17-2007, 05:57 PM

I should imagine for the same reason that the King's Door isn't called the Queen's Door - the Queen decided to keep their names in honour of her late father.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
I note it's called the King's Troop. Anyone know why it's not called the Queen's Troop?
Before World War II, a succession of Horse Artillery Batteries were stationed in London. The last was mechanised in 1939 and it was His Majesty King George VI's express wish that, after the war, a Troop of Royal Horse Artillery, mounted and dressed in the traditional manner, should once more be seen taking part in the great ceremonies of State. On October 24th 1947 His Majesty inspected the then Riding Troop and said that he wished it to be known as His Troop, and Her Majesty has graciously decided that this title shall continue in her reign in recognition of her father's special interest in the Troop.

http://www.army.mod.uk/kingstprha/ceremon.htm
Old 01-17-2007, 07:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Before World War II, a succession of Horse Artillery Batteries were stationed in London. The last was mechanised in 1939 and it was His Majesty King George VI's express wish that, after the war, a Troop of Royal Horse Artillery, mounted and dressed in the traditional manner, should once more be seen taking part in the great ceremonies of State. On October 24th 1947 His Majesty inspected the then Riding Troop and said that he wished it to be known as His Troop, and Her Majesty has graciously decided that this title shall continue in her reign in recognition of her father's special interest in the Troop.

http://www.army.mod.uk/kingstprha/ceremon.htm
Thank you I wondered if it had a particular connection with one of the Kings.

I know I could have hunted around myself, but I have dial-up and my computer is being particularly painfully slow at the moment so I took the easy way out and asked.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:34 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn
I know I could have hunted around myself... so I took the easy way out and asked.
It's the next best thing to 'phone a friend'.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:44 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6272227.stm

Donatella Versace has unveiled people he thinks are fashion icons. They include Monsignor Georg Gaenswein, the Pope's private secretary and Her Majesty The Queen.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:38 PM

Elizabeth, Queen of Scots

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...556016,00.html
Old 01-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Wembley date for the Queen

The Queen will present the FA Cup on May 19 at the first final to be held at the new £800 million Wembley Stadium.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...=1771&ito=1490
Old 01-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmax
I have three questions for you. The first one who can answer them all wins the Grand Prize. LOL

1. Does anyone know if The Queen is now at Sandringham?
2. Was it Zara Philips who was the «main» guest at the competition or was it Mike Tindall.
and finally
3. Does The Queen really have an Ipod?? That would be funny to know.

Thanks everyone for answering (In advance LOL)
2. Zara was the main guest.
3. I believe that Prince Andrew gave her an iPod for Christmas a couple of years ago.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

There was a bit of a do at Sandringham this weekend. Apparently someone shot a fox while they were all out shooting birds. Legal, but only just. The fox wasn't killed outright (they were using shotguns), so someone was photographed hitting it with a fence post.
The big to do, was purely, from what I can see, the fact that Prince Philip was there at the time. I know I am against hunting with hounds, I know I am against cruelty of any sort, but what did they want him to do, jump in front of it shouting no, no?

Prince Philip watches fox shot, stamped on and beaten to death

This fox could have suffered agonising gunshot wounds for up to five minutes before being put out of its misery during a Royal pheasant shoot at Sandringham yesterday.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/mailFr...n_page_id=1770
Old 01-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Pics 21.01.2007

Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip attend church service at Hillington Parish Church, Norfolk, Britain - 21 Jan 2007

The Queen and Prince Philip
Prince Philip smiling
Receiving flowers
Old 01-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Heir Apparent

The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will visit Cambridge to open the Cancer Research UK Cambridge Research Institute

The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will open the new Cancer Research UK Cambridge Research Institute in the Li Ka Shing centre on Friday 2nd February.
The Queen, Patron Cancer Research UK and The Duke of Edinburgh, Chancellor, Cambridge University, will tour the new state-of-the-art facility, a joint venture between the Charity and the University, before The Queen unveils a plaque to officially open the building.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-25-2007, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Here is another picture gallery of the Queen's visit to the King Edward VII High School in King's Lynn, Norfolk, UK on January 24, 2007 - I think she looked very good in that red dress - very lovely and still so full of energy..

The Queen 24.01.2007
Old 01-25-2007, 07:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thank you both for all the photos.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:49 AM
Aristocracy

Could Blair arrest cause a constitutional crisis for Queen Elizabeth?
Old 01-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Nimrod crash victims remembered

A memorial service has been held at a Moray air base for the 14 military personnel killed when an RAF Nimrod aircraft crashed in Afghanistan.

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | North East/N Isles | Nimrod crash victims remembered

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3
Old 01-29-2007, 10:38 PM
Aristocracy

I am looking forward to the pictures next week in the Netherlands with Her Majesty Queen Beatrix. I hope that The Queen will wear the same outfit as she wore at King Edward VII School (I dought she will though)
Old 02-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Aristocracy

Does anyone know where we can find the speech that The Queen made during the reception given after the wedding of TRH The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii