The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

I also think it's extremely good of The Prince of Wales and Her Majesty to try to protect the rights of the workers. Maybe they will be able to do something and the factory will not be closed.

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-04-2007, 03:22 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
I also think it's extremely good of The Prince of Wales and Her Majesty to try to protect the rights of the workers. Maybe they will be able to do something and the factory will not be closed.
Shades of Edward VIII: "Something must be done!"

Old 01-04-2007, 03:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Well, it's probably safe to say that the Queen won't be wearing any Burberry coats sporting the proud label "Made in Taiwan."
Old 01-04-2007, 09:04 AM

Well would you? Kids in sweatshops can never do a decent collar.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:14 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
Quite right, I certainly won't be buying anything from them, if they close the welsh factory. They may make some rather smart riding coats, but I'm sure drizabone will be able to supply something nice to tide me over!
Well done! We colonials also know a thing or two about coats, particularly those designed to be worn our magnificent Australian Stock Horses. Seriously though, well done ma'am. Good show.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Pics 7.01.2007

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh at Sunday Church Service in Sandringham, UK on January 7, 2007

The Queen receiving flowers
Philipp who doesn't get anything
In the car
Old 01-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Phillip receives BHS Honours

Six more equestrian heroes have been inducted into the BHS Hall of Fame including Prince Phillip and Mary King
Old 01-11-2007, 04:45 PM

British Horse Society by the way. Not British Home Stores.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth Reportedly Angers Cut Off Workers

At the London royal palace, what Queen Elizabeth says goes, but some people may not always agree with her.
It's been said that the monarch has angered her royal workers with sweeping job cuts.
Six of the seven full-time staff at St. George's Chapel, in the grounds of Windsor Castle, have been sacked, spurring outrage among chapel staff and the congregation.
A castle insider told Britain's Daily Express newspaper, "The mood at St. George's is bleak. The whole affair has been badly handled."
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Aristocracy

Leicester plays host to royal portrait

Queen Elizabeth II acquires Annigoni portrait

I dont like the portraits.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:24 PM

I love the 1954 Annigoni portrait of Her Majesty but the 69 one is a bit ropey. And the less said about Rolf's childlike daubing the better.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

The 1954 portrait is breathtaking. It's one of my favorite pictures of the Queen. However the one in 1969 makes her look masculine, to me. I don't like it.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 01-14-2007, 08:39 PM

I agree. It is very manly whereas the 54 one presents a beautiful woman who just breathes British. It's always been a favourite of mine. Having seen the 69 one up close, I can say it really does give HM a manly look.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:04 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6261885.stm

The French Prime Minister, Guy Mollet, wanted France to join the Commonwealth with Queen Elizabeth II as French Head of State.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6261885.stm

The French Prime Minister, Guy Mollet, wanted France to join the Commonwealth with Queen Elizabeth II as French Head of State.
United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and France - wow, it sounds good! I just wonder what would the Brits and French think if they one day woke up 'united'.

Queen Elizabeth was probably the closest Monarch to get the title of Queen of France after probably Kind Edward III, without even realising it (assuming she wasn't told of the plans).
Old 01-15-2007, 10:37 AM

It's all very odd I must say. Then again, it's quite natural in some ways. It's interesting to think what might have been!
Old 01-15-2007, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and France - wow, it sounds good! I just wonder what would the Brits and French think if they one day woke up 'united'.

Queen Elizabeth was probably the closest Monarch to get the title of Queen of France after probably Kind Edward III, without even realising it (assuming she wasn't told of the plans).
Mary Stuart called herself at one time queen of France, Scotland and England and hoped her husband, the then king of France would help her throwing Elizabeth I. from her English throne but he died rather young and her mother-in-law was certainly not interested. Instead she tried to marry her younger son to Elizabeth...
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
Mary Stuart called herself at one time queen of France, Scotland and England and hoped her husband, the then king of France would help her throwing Elizabeth I. from her English throne but he died rather young and her mother-in-law was certainly not interested. Instead she tried to marry her younger son to Elizabeth...
Well spotted Jo!
However I meant actual Monarchs of England and Mary Stuart might have called herself Queen of England (and recognized as such by Rome) but she was not one.
And she was not Queen of France either, she was Queen Consort of France.

Now, if Mary did have a son in her marriage to François II, and he succeeded Queen Elizabeth like James did, then the crowns of England, Scotland and France may indeed be united.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Now, if Mary did have a son in her marriage to François II, and he succeeded Queen Elizabeth like James did, then the crowns of England, Scotland and France may indeed be united.
I believe in this case Elizabeth would have married and tried to get her own son or daughter. How old was Elizabeth when James was born? I just checked, she was only 32 and still on the outlook for a husband (at leats she pretended she was).

But - if Elizabeth had married Francois d'Alencon, the youngest brother of Francois II. of France and born a son, this boy would have been king of England after Elizabeth and king of France after his father - instead of Henri of Navarra (Henri IV.) who only inherited the French crown because the Valois-brothers died childless.
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:38 AM
Royal Highness

William III of Orange & Mary II Stuart: France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
I believe in this case Elizabeth would have married and tried to get her own son or daughter. How old was Elizabeth when James was born? I just checked, she was only 32 and still on the outlook for a husband (at leats she pretended she was).
Their style were "William and Mary, by the Grace of God, King and Queen of England, Scotland, France and Ireland, Defenders of the Faith, Etc."

The claim to France had been asserted by every English King since Edward III and is in fact just nominal.

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii