Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 13: November 2006-Feb 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Elizabeth II lays a few small mirror tiles around the head of baby Jesus on a nativity collage made by schoolchildren at Southwark Cathedral on December 7, 2006 in London, England. The children and their artwork feature in this year's Christmas broadcast from Her Majesty. The Queen's Christmas speech this year highlights how all religions stress the need to nurture and guide the young. In her December 25 message, the monarch will speak about the importance of the relationship between the generations. She will say: "The wisdom and experience of the great religions point to the need to nurture and guide the young, and to encourage respect for the elderly."
London, England - 22.12.06

Pictures:
Queen Elizabeth

Troops 'chuffed' by Queen's message

British troops in Iraq were "really chuffed" to receive the Queen's supportive Christmas message and said it was nice to be remembered.

Army spokesman Captain Tane Dunlop said the troops on the ground were delighted to receive the message.
"I think everyone is really chuffed. Obviously the Queen is constitutionally head of state and head of the Armed Forces, and British forces have the highest respect for the Queen. "It is really nice that she is thinking of us during the festive season, particularly those of us out on operation."

Queen Elizabeth II smiles after filming this year's Christmas broadcast issued on December 24, 2006 at Southwark Cathedral, south London, England. The Queen's Christmas speech this year is available as a podcast for the first time in the history of the annual message. The Queen will highlight in her 2006 message how all religions stress the need to nurture and guide the young.

Picture: Queen Elizabeth smiles after her speech

Last edited:
Her Majesty's speech was a pretty good one IMO. It wasn't a disaster like that awful one two years ago and although it pandered slightly to the PC brigade, it's always a highlight to hear the message.

Queen Elizabeth May Withdraw Royal Warrant From Burberry

Queen Elizabeth may withdraw her Royal Warrant from fashion label Burberry. The royal's decision was made after joining a campaign to stop the closure of one of its factories in Wales.
The queen has joined son Prince Charles in expressing her concern about the planned closure, which will result in the loss of 300 jobs.

Avalon said:
Queen Elizabeth May Withdraw Royal Warrant From Burberry

Queen Elizabeth may withdraw her Royal Warrant from fashion label Burberry. The royal's decision was made after joining a campaign to stop the closure of one of its factories in Wales.
The queen has joined son Prince Charles in expressing her concern about the planned closure, which will result in the loss of 300 jobs.

Quite right, I certainly won't be buying anything from them, if they close the welsh factory. They may make some rather smart riding coats, but I'm sure drizabone will be able to supply something nice to tide me over!

I also think it's extremely good of The Prince of Wales and Her Majesty to try to protect the rights of the workers. Maybe they will be able to do something and the factory will not be closed.

Avalon said:
I also think it's extremely good of The Prince of Wales and Her Majesty to try to protect the rights of the workers. Maybe they will be able to do something and the factory will not be closed.
Shades of Edward VIII: "Something must be done!"

Well, it's probably safe to say that the Queen won't be wearing any Burberry coats sporting the proud label "Made in Taiwan."

Well would you? Kids in sweatshops can never do a decent collar.

Skydragon said:
Quite right, I certainly won't be buying anything from them, if they close the welsh factory. They may make some rather smart riding coats, but I'm sure drizabone will be able to supply something nice to tide me over!

Well done! We colonials also know a thing or two about coats, particularly those designed to be worn our magnificent Australian Stock Horses. Seriously though, well done ma'am. Good show.

British Horse Society by the way. Not British Home Stores.

Queen Elizabeth Reportedly Angers Cut Off Workers

At the London royal palace, what Queen Elizabeth says goes, but some people may not always agree with her.
It's been said that the monarch has angered her royal workers with sweeping job cuts.
Six of the seven full-time staff at St. George's Chapel, in the grounds of Windsor Castle, have been sacked, spurring outrage among chapel staff and the congregation.
A castle insider told Britain's Daily Express newspaper, "The mood at St. George's is bleak. The whole affair has been badly handled."

I love the 1954 Annigoni portrait of Her Majesty but the 69 one is a bit ropey. And the less said about Rolf's childlike daubing the better.

The 1954 portrait is breathtaking. It's one of my favorite pictures of the Queen. However the one in 1969 makes her look masculine, to me. I don't like it.

I agree. It is very manly whereas the 54 one presents a beautiful woman who just breathes British. It's always been a favourite of mine. Having seen the 69 one up close, I can say it really does give HM a manly look.

BeatrixFan said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6261885.stm

The French Prime Minister, Guy Mollet, wanted France to join the Commonwealth with Queen Elizabeth II as French Head of State.

United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and France - wow, it sounds good! :ROFLMAO: I just wonder what would the Brits and French think if they one day woke up 'united'. :rolleyes:

Queen Elizabeth was probably the closest Monarch to get the title of Queen of France after probably Kind Edward III, without even realising it (assuming she wasn't told of the plans). :rolleyes:

It's all very odd I must say. Then again, it's quite natural in some ways. It's interesting to think what might have been!

Avalon said:
United Kingdom of Great Britain, Northern Ireland and France - wow, it sounds good! :ROFLMAO: I just wonder what would the Brits and French think if they one day woke up 'united'. :rolleyes:

Queen Elizabeth was probably the closest Monarch to get the title of Queen of France after probably Kind Edward III, without even realising it (assuming she wasn't told of the plans). :rolleyes:

Mary Stuart called herself at one time queen of France, Scotland and England and hoped her husband, the then king of France would help her throwing Elizabeth I. from her English throne but he died rather young and her mother-in-law was certainly not interested. Instead she tried to marry her younger son to Elizabeth...

Jo of Palatine said:
Mary Stuart called herself at one time queen of France, Scotland and England and hoped her husband, the then king of France would help her throwing Elizabeth I. from her English throne but he died rather young and her mother-in-law was certainly not interested. Instead she tried to marry her younger son to Elizabeth...

Well spotted Jo! :flowers:
However I meant actual Monarchs of England and Mary Stuart might have called herself Queen of England (and recognized as such by Rome) but she was not one.
And she was not Queen of France either, she was Queen Consort of France.

Now, if Mary did have a son in her marriage to François II, and he succeeded Queen Elizabeth like James did, then the crowns of England, Scotland and France may indeed be united.

Avalon said:
Now, if Mary did have a son in her marriage to François II, and he succeeded Queen Elizabeth like James did, then the crowns of England, Scotland and France may indeed be united.
I believe in this case Elizabeth would have married and tried to get her own son or daughter. How old was Elizabeth when James was born? I just checked, she was only 32 and still on the outlook for a husband (at leats she pretended she was).

But - if Elizabeth had married Francois d'Alencon, the youngest brother of Francois II. of France and born a son, this boy would have been king of England after Elizabeth and king of France after his father - instead of Henri of Navarra (Henri IV.) who only inherited the French crown because the Valois-brothers died childless.

Last edited:
William III of Orange & Mary II Stuart: France

Jo of Palatine said:
I believe in this case Elizabeth would have married and tried to get her own son or daughter. How old was Elizabeth when James was born? I just checked, she was only 32 and still on the outlook for a husband (at leats she pretended she was).

Their style were "William and Mary, by the Grace of God, King and Queen of England, Scotland, France and Ireland, Defenders of the Faith, Etc."

The claim to France had been asserted by every English King since Edward III and is in fact just nominal.

:flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom