The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive
Click Here to Login

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 11:31 AM
Heir Apparent

I must admit I had tears in my eyes as well, when I watched the Queen entering the Parliament. She seemed a bit weak but resolute. And dedicated to duty and Britain.
She is a great Queen, the best jewel in the British Crown.

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

This amazing lady was clearly in a lot of pain but, not only did she 'perform' her duty, she even managed a smile or two!

Old 11-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Nobility

Very many years ago, she promised that she would dedicate her life to her people. She is now 80 years old, when most people have been retired for many years, and yet she still puts her duty first.

Her health has always been good - it is difficult to remember any cancellations of the many events she has attended over 50+ years. If there is something of importance - like the Cenotaph or the Opening of Parliament - she will turn out regardless.

Obviously, at her age even a simple strained muscle will take much longer to heal then for a young person. I know this from my elderly relatives. So let's hope that she gets the time to rest and recover that she needs.

On the cancer scare story - if she has something like this, she would certainly have had to attend hospital. And the media would not have missed something like that. It would have been published everywhere.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Nobility

The photo of the Queen and Prince Phillip on the way back to Buckingham palace is a bit sad. The queen seems to have a very sentimental look on her face and I think that photo says it all.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Courtier

I forgot! I forgot the opening of Parliament was today!

I'm happy that the Queen was able to perform the ceremony with all the regalia. She's great.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Seriously...did anyone doubt the Queen would not open Parliament?!

As noted by a couple of signatures:

I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.
HRH Princess Elizabeth, Cape Town, 21st April 1947

"I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." From HM's first televised Christmas address, 1957

SHE ROCKS! - that's my addition
Old 11-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Aristocracy

You could find no clearer definition of duty and resolute will then in Her Majesty's performance today during the State Opening of Parliament. She is a symbol beholden to the world and will always be the brightest star that shines from this earth.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Aristocracy

The Queen is such a remarkable woman! She was clearly in pain yet she performed her duties with remarkable dignity. I think sometimes it is forgotten how lucky the UK and all the Commonwealth Realms are to have her as Queen.

There is no doubt in my mind that no matter what her condition, she will continue to do her job until she dies.

Long Live the Queen!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Aristocracy

Well, either The Queen's Speech is good or bad, we know that The Queen will cross the atlantic to visit the United States of America as well as Kampala and we also know one incoming State Visit.

Even though the Official Announcement will come later, I am anxious to see this new year!!!!

I totally argee. She is a remarkable person and he does so much for her country and the Commonwealth. I also hope she will get better.

God Save The Queen!!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Aristocracy

Her Majesty's sense of duty - and pain tolerance - is quite admirable! She's a remarkable woman!
Old 11-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I did notice that during the procession from the Robing Room to the House of Lords, Her Majesty appeared to be supporting part of her robe with her right hand to keep it from pulling on her back.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:13 PM
Aristocracy

She is truly an amazing royal and she should be an example for all other royals - not just her own family. Hard to imagine the present group of young royals working as hard as this in years to come.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:34 AM
Nobility

The Queen's Speech
Old 11-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Courtier

Thumbs up

She is the definition of duty and dedication. Hope she gets to feeling better soon -I'm plotting a trip over to Jamestown to see them next May if I can work it out with my job, etc! It's probably the closest I will ever get to Her Majesty and I hope she is in fine form for her trip.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:22 AM
Royal Highness

I am so excited!!!!

They just announced she and Prince Philip will be coming to the U.S. next May on a STATE VISIT!!!!!

Bring out the glamour and tiaras.....this is fantastic!!!

They will be visiting Jamestown, VA to mark the 400th anniversary and will of course be guests at a state dinner at the White House!!
Old 11-16-2006, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Duke Of Edinburgh Awards 50th Anniversary

Caption: LONDON - NOVEMBER 16: Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh accepts a Royal Charter from Queen Elizabeth II on behalf of his awards scheme during a reception at Buckingham Palace on November 16, 2006 in London. The Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme celebrates its 50th anniversary after being founded by Prince Philip. The charity runs one of the best-known adventure programmes for able-bodied and disabled young people aged 14 to 25. (Photos by Pool/Anwar Hussein Collection/Getty Images)

Pic 1 Pic 2
Old 11-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Courtier

That first picture is very nice.

Here is a copy of here speech

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page5698.asp

Map for the British Royals
Old 11-16-2006, 04:02 PM

I thought it was a bit dissapointing State Visit wise. I wanted Her Majesty to announce she would recieve Queen Beatrix.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

it was wonderful to see her so Brave while im sure shes got some pain, I Have to Admit I Thought she wouldnt make it and P.O.W would have to fill in.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:26 PM
Aristocracy

I think that she probably said to herself, «if I don't go, I am letting my country down».

I wasn't suprised in seeing her go to Parliament but I think that she should really start to slow down her engagements if she wants to recover.

(Imagine we are saying that she was so brave in doing this but finally she has recovered LOL)

Closed Thread

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii