Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 12: October-November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I haven't seen it in The Times and I've had one delivered every day for the past 2 years.

Excitable royal gossips last week suggested that bone cancer was the real reason behind the Queen’s bad back, but palace officials are snorting at this idea.

So the truth of the matter is that The Times commented on rumours, they didn't start the rumours. What the Dickens is the matter with people?

Elspeth said:
Considering how long this alleged strained muscle has been a problem, it's not surprising that this sort of rumour would surface. The only surprise is that it's taken this long. I suppose we'll have to wait for developments - the first being whether the Queen misses the Opening of Parliament this week.

We have to remember that the Queen is 80. Her back is going to take time to heal. But I am hoping it is nothing more serious. I was actually suprised at how frail the Queen sounded at the New Zealand war memorial.

That being said, if the Queen doesn't attend the Opening of Parliament, I'm going to assume her condition is worse than we thought. (while I don't believe she is terminally ill, I am wondering if this is something more than just a strained back).

timtonruben359 said:
We have to remember that the Queen is 80. Her back is going to take time to heal. But I am hoping it is nothing more serious. I was actually suprised at how frail the Queen sounded at the New Zealand war memorial.

That being said, if the Queen doesn't attend the Opening of Parliament, I'm going to assume her condition is worse than we thought. (while I don't believe she is terminally ill, I am wondering if this is something more than just a strained back).

While i dont believe the palace is very forthcoming with these type of things, i do think that the queens slurred and slow speech on sat was due to heavy medication. there's other reasons why people would start speaking like that such as strokes, but as far as we know her heart is healthy and she has been out and about through out these days. So i would put it down to heavy medication--perhaps she woke up in loads of pain but still felt she had to be there so she went but heavily medicated--thus the slow walking and slow and slurred speech. She was walking better today but by her face today and over the past few days one can tell she isnt feeling well.

It will be very interesting to see what happens at the opening of parliament- i really hope that she does not wear the robes and heavy crown because that would be detrimental to her condition. In any case my respect for her has grown immensely because anyone else in her situation would not continue working, one can really tell that this is a determined and devoted woman and her country should be grateful they have her as queen.

Elise27 said:
While i dont believe the palace is very forthcoming with these type of things, i do think that the queens slurred and slow speech on sat was due to heavy medication. there's other reasons why people would start speaking like that such as strokes.

In any case my respect for her has grown immensely because anyone else in her situation would not continue working, one can really tell that this is a determined and devoted woman and her country should be grateful they have her as queen.

It's odd, when I first heard Her Majesty speak my first thought was did she have a stroke? But I agree that the Queen has most likely been put on strong muscle relaxers and that can cause difficulty with speech. The good news is she looked much more fit during the Ceremony on Sunday.

We'll find out how serious her condition is come Wednesday. If she opens Parliament full regalia and all then we're worried about nothing.

My respect too for the Queen has grown. She is such a devoted woman, putting Country and Commonwealth a head of herself.

If the Queen had had a stroke, we would have been told. As you say, her voice is likely to be a little distorted if she's taking medication - high doses that is. The Queen will open Parliament with full regalia. It's her style.

Crown, commoner converge in Queen's Speech

By tradition, Elizabeth will open a new, year-long session of Parliament by reading to the members of the combined houses of Commons and Lords the "Queen's Speech."

I particularly like this part.
The ritual also suggests that while prime ministers might come and go, somehow there will always be an England, replete with horse-drawn carriage, crown and throne, and a little tension between those who think a monarchy is outdated and those wedded to the tradition.

Last edited:
She does look lovely and she will surely look regal tomorrow in her outfit for the State Opening of Parliament, dressed with the Imperial State Crown. Anxious to see the pictures!!

Last edited:
I am so relieved that she opened Parliament! I wonder how her back is feeling after all that!

Owwy.....

Well, I think we can safely say that we have the greatest Queen in the world. She was in pain but she did her duty. When I saw her walking into that House, I must admit I got a little teary. She's so devoted to us that she'll always, no matter what, fufill her duties as our Head of State. I'm proud to be a subject of Queen Elizabeth II.

I glad to see her! the queen look some tried, but for her first is the duty, great for elizabeth!

I must admit I had tears in my eyes as well, when I watched the Queen entering the Parliament. She seemed a bit weak but resolute. And dedicated to duty and Britain.
She is a great Queen, the best jewel in the British Crown.

This amazing lady was clearly in a lot of pain but, not only did she 'perform' her duty, she even managed a smile or two! :clap:

Very many years ago, she promised that she would dedicate her life to her people. She is now 80 years old, when most people have been retired for many years, and yet she still puts her duty first.

Her health has always been good - it is difficult to remember any cancellations of the many events she has attended over 50+ years. If there is something of importance - like the Cenotaph or the Opening of Parliament - she will turn out regardless.

Obviously, at her age even a simple strained muscle will take much longer to heal then for a young person. I know this from my elderly relatives. So let's hope that she gets the time to rest and recover that she needs.

On the cancer scare story - if she has something like this, she would certainly have had to attend hospital. And the media would not have missed something like that. It would have been published everywhere.

The photo of the Queen and Prince Phillip on the way back to Buckingham palace is a bit sad. The queen seems to have a very sentimental look on her face and I think that photo says it all.

:ohmy: I forgot! I forgot the opening of Parliament was today! :bang:

:bangin:

I'm happy that the Queen was able to perform the ceremony with all the regalia. She's great. :wub: :flowers:

Seriously...did anyone doubt the Queen would not open Parliament?!

As noted by a couple of signatures:

I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.
HRH Princess Elizabeth, Cape Town, 21st April 1947

"I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." From HM's first televised Christmas address, 1957

SHE ROCKS! - that's my addition ;)

Last edited:
You could find no clearer definition of duty and resolute will then in Her Majesty's performance today during the State Opening of Parliament. She is a symbol beholden to the world and will always be the brightest star that shines from this earth.

The Queen is such a remarkable woman! She was clearly in pain yet she performed her duties with remarkable dignity. I think sometimes it is forgotten how lucky the UK and all the Commonwealth Realms are to have her as Queen.

There is no doubt in my mind that no matter what her condition, she will continue to do her job until she dies.

Long Live the Queen!

Well, either The Queen's Speech is good or bad, we know that The Queen will cross the atlantic to visit the United States of America as well as Kampala and we also know one incoming State Visit.

Even though the Official Announcement will come later, I am anxious to see this new year!!!!

I totally argee. She is a remarkable person and he does so much for her country and the Commonwealth. I also hope she will get better.

God Save The Queen!!

Last edited:
Her Majesty's sense of duty - and pain tolerance - is quite admirable! She's a remarkable woman!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom