Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 12: October-November 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Elizabeth II and The Duke of Edinburgh visited the Thomas Bennett Community College in Crawley, West Sussex, England, Friday Nov. 3, 2006

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip
Queen Elizabeth
Queen Elizabeth 2
Queen Elizabeth 3
Queen Elizabeth 4

Queen Elizabeth II attends a reception at St. James Palace, London, for the Campaign to Protect Rural England, Thursday Nov. 2, 2006. The reception, which the Queen attended without a sign of the back trouble that has dogged her over recent days, marked the 80th anniversary of one of Britain's most enduring environmental groups.

Queen Elizabeth (looking stunning)

She seems to be looking better maybe we shouldnt count her out just yet

Madame Royale said:
Mille grazie, ElisaR :)
Prego. ;)

Her Majesty looks in good health. :)
(This message is too short, so i have to add these words :rolleyes: ).

Last edited by a moderator:
God Bless her , Shes got incredible energy!

sara1981 said:

Well, of able mind but not so much of body it would seem. I do hope Elizabeth recovers quickly.

The article said the Queen drives in the Irish State Coach, but I thought the Queen drove in the Australian State Coach to the Palace of Westminster.

Do they alternate between the two?

Looking forward to seeing the new Britannia State Coach making an appearance in the not too distant future. Have all the State Coaches (apart from the Golden Coronation Coach) been made in Australia?

Last edited:
sara1981 said:

The Queen must be in a great deal of pain if she and her doctors are seriously considering that she may not be able to open parliament.

Personally I think that if the Queen is not able to perform this duty, then either Prince Charles or Prince Philip should do it. I think if a non-royal conducts the procedings, it could become a perminate change.

timtonruben359 said:
The Queen must be in a great deal of pain if she and her doctors are seriously considering that she may not be able to open parliament.

Personally I think that if the Queen is not able to perform this duty, then either Prince Charles or Prince Philip should do it. I think if a non-royal conducts the procedings, it could become a perminate change.

I think if it were going to become a permanent change, timonruben359, then surely it would have happend by now considering the Queen's absence back in the 50's or 60's :flowers:

If the monarch is indisposed then I am glade to have found out (ElisaR) that it's the Lord Chancellor/Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs (who is appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister) who performs the duty, that would have in any other case, been executed by the Head of the State. She doesn't say "My Government" for nothing ;)

If anthing, using another member of the royal family would be, I think, undermining the Queen's position and that's why I don't think we will ever see it happen.

Last edited:
Why would the Queen not be able to attend but without the heavy crown and cloaks. Surely if they would permit someone else to carry out the duty then the crown and cloaks are not an integral part of the ceremony and wouldn't be missed:ermm:

I pressume its because of the Pomp and Circumstance, crisscross1 :flowers:

As they say, do something properly or don't do it at all ;)

I guess, it does seem a shame though.
So if the duty is performed by another person will they be required to wear the crown and cloaks? I have googled this question but have had no luck finding an answer.

crisscross1 said:
I guess, it does seem a shame though.
So if the duty is performed by another person will they be required to wear the crown and cloaks? I have googled this question but have had no luck finding an answer.

I'm pretty sure the Lord Chancellor has his own livery (cloak, coronet or something along those lines).

The Imperial State Crown is only ever worn by the Monarch (I wasn't sure if this is what you were referring to so I don't mean to insult your knowledge).

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
I'm pretty sure the Lord Chancellor has his own livery (cloak, coronet or something along those lines).

The Imperial State Crown is only ever worn by the Monarch (I wasn't sure if this is what you were referring to so I don't mean to insult your knowledge).

I love to watch the pomp and ceremony, but I'm not terribly good with protocols etc. In the article I read it mentioned that the crown, (Imperial State Crown) was too heavy and caused the Queen back pain, that was why I queried the need for her to wear it? If it is a necessary part of the ceremony, then it is all or nothing.

About the crown and state robes. The Queen could open Parliament without them. :) Many years ago (I think in the '60s) there was a sudden general election while the Queen was abroad; she came back to open Parliament and, as there hadn't been the time to prepare the usual ceremony, she did it wearing civil clothes and without all the pomp. This fact was told on Royal Insight in reply to a question from a member of the public, but now this information can't be recovered because the searching facility doesn't work. :mad:

The problem is - ditch the Crown and the Robes once and why do we need them again? It would strip our monarchy down on it's traditions. With all due respect, I don't want our Parliament opened a la Sweden and Denmark where the Monarch simply visits in a suit.

True, but I think if it was made clear that the only reason was because of the weight she could bring it back next year. I think it is better that she opens without the crown then have someone else do it.

Question : some articles are saying that Prince Charles might do it, but I thought it was the Lord Chancellor (sp?), is there a chance he could do it, or are TRF members smarter then the journalists (again)

Got some info from Royal Insight (mmmm that name looks familar)
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page1875.asp

: Elisa Rosi - Parma, Italy
I know The Queen didn't open Parliament in 1959 and 1963. Who did it on behalf of Her Majesty?

Parliament was not opened in these years due to the fact that The Queen was pregnant with Prince Andrew and Prince Edward respectively.

Parliament was opened by Commission, which means that the Lord Chancellor, leader of the House of Lords, read the speech which The Queen would have given

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth is looks dress and hat!!! Queen is good healt and 80 year!!! Queen Elizabeth is much beautiful dress on red and blake scarfs!!!

It's still just speculation at this point so we'll need to wait and see.

Oppie said:
True, but I think if it was made clear that the only reason was because of the weight she could bring it back next year. I think it is better that she opens without the crown then have someone else do it.

Question : some articles are saying that Prince Charles might do it, but I thought it was the Lord Chancellor (sp?), is there a chance he could do it, or are TRF members smarter then the journalists (again)

Got some info from Royal Insight (mmmm that name looks familar)
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page1875.asp
Oh, you found it! For some reason I couldn't.
And yes, that's me. :D

Rubbish. If the Queen was going to hand over any public duties it would be to Charles.

It's very unlikely to be true. I wonder why they think she'll be handing over duties to Prince William when he has his army career to think about and Prince Charles is available to take on the duties. Sounds like wishful thinking on the part of the author.

If it is true I shall become a republican. And I am unanimous in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom