The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:21 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I agree. If you provide for one, you've got to provide for the rest and it becomes pathetic political correctness.
That's how I feel. And if the Queen makes a habit of it, are all employers going to be pressured to do the same thing?

Old 10-02-2006, 06:12 PM
Aristocracy

I really dont understand what is the problem with the queen beeing kind enough to allow an employee space to pray. If the queen wants to allow it, its her castle shes allowed to do it and theres plenty of space at windsor castle. Im sure that if a jewish person were to go and and ask for space to pray she'd allow that too. After all the queen as head of state should promote tolerance, and this is a good way to promote tolerance. My university is a catholic institution and space is provided for prayers for both muslims and jews. I dont think that she was forced into this and given the fact that theres more than enough room at windsor castle its no sacrifice on her part,. the space is probably just a small office or something , like an earlier poster said, dont blow this out of proportion, its not like shes building synagogues or mosques at winsor castle!

Old 10-02-2006, 06:16 PM

Elise, it isn't a problem exactly. There is a slight issue with just who made the decision. In Britain at the moment, there's alot of political correctness and alot of rules relating to that coming into the workplace. This raises the question, if the Queen is allowing muslims a space to pray at Windsor Castle then is every other employer going to be expected to do the same and is this strictly a policy that benefits muslims or will she be doing it for every faith represented in her staff? You see, it brings up all kinds of issues that are pretty much best left alone and at a time when born-Britons are finding it a little tricky to cope with the sudden voice the muslim community have found (I'm not condemning that by the way) ,this action isn't really a very sensible thing.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Aristocracy

So Beatrixfan, for clarification, you're saying that the problem is that the queen made the decision????and its an issue of political relevance so it should have been left untouched by her????
Old 10-02-2006, 06:33 PM

No, no not at all. It's unclear who made the decision. But at this present time, the climate is a little tetchy to be doing this sort of thing if it is as exclusive as it appears to be. I'd like to see the Queen involve herself in politics when it's beneficial to British people - but in the current situation, any world leader is pretty wise to leave faith issues well alone unless they really have to and in Britain, certainly amongst the people I've spoken to, this move hasn't been at all popular. In saying that, the reports we have might be twisted or incorrect.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/mi...on/default.asp

This a brilliant site where you can get a brilliant look at the Queen's wardrobe and jewellery.
Thanks for the link BeatrixFan! My all time favorite pieces of jewelry are there...the Vladimir tiara, and the DelhiDurban necklace and bracelet! Absolutely gorgeous!
Old 10-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceflower
An extremely cute pic of the Queen well, I hope it's okay to call it cute
"Queen Elizabeth II takes an early morning ride with a groom in Balmoral, UK on August 31, 2006."
While it is indeed a lovely photo, I really wish HM would wear a proper saftey helmet with harness when she rides,not only for her own safety,but as an example to others. I am a competition show jumper and there is not a show in the world that every rider on the grounds is not required to wear one at all times.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:37 PM

At 80, I don't think HM will change her habits now and I'm sure that being a true country girl, she'd know how to cope with a temperamental horse. And if you can't lose the helmet at 80, when can you lose it? I know what you mean though.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
At 80, I don't think HM will change her habits now and I'm sure that being a true country girl, she'd know how to cope with a temperamental horse. And if you can't lose the helmet at 80, when can you lose it? I know what you mean though.
I absolutely agree that the Queen is an extremely accomplished equestrian. But, would it not be a tragedy to loose her because her horse put a foot down a rabbit hole?
Old 10-02-2006, 07:55 PM

It would be a tragedy to lose Her Majesty under any circumstance. I love my Queen and I can't imagine a Britain without her.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
It would be a tragedy to lose Her Majesty under any circumstance. I love my Queen and I can't imagine a Britain without her.
I hope the queen lives forever! I really love england and i'll be very sad the day she goes, everytime i read articles about plans for the coronation of charles i get upset.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise27
I hope the queen lives forever! I really love england and i'll be very sad the day she goes, everytime i read articles about plans for the coronation of charles i get upset.
I do get an uncomfortable feeling reading plans for the coronation, because in the normal course there will have to be a funeral before the coronation takes place, and I don't want to think about that funeral.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
While it is indeed a lovely photo, I really wish HM would wear a proper saftey helmet with harness when she rides,not only for her own safety,but as an example to others. I am a competition show jumper and there is not a show in the world that every rider on the grounds is not required to wear one at all times.
It is indeed a lovely photo of HM.

I certainly understand what you say about safety gear, Scooter, as she sets a bad example.

But I could also imagine her thinking something like, 'I'm the Queen, and I'm 80, and I don't want to wear a helmet........and I'm jolly well not going to'.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Elise, it isn't a problem exactly. There is a slight issue with just who made the decision. In Britain at the moment, there's alot of political correctness and alot of rules relating to that coming into the workplace. This raises the question, if the Queen is allowing muslims a space to pray at Windsor Castle then is every other employer going to be expected to do the same and is this strictly a policy that benefits muslims or will she be doing it for every faith represented in her staff? You see, it brings up all kinds of issues that are pretty much best left alone and at a time when born-Britons are finding it a little tricky to cope with the sudden voice the muslim community have found (I'm not condemning that by the way) ,this action isn't really a very sensible thing.
I wonder if I went and lived in those countries where my culture wasn't dominant if I could get the advantages of what is happening today in England. As a US citizen, would I be allowed to take Thanksgiving or 4th of July off or celebrate it proudly in the neighborhood or within my office? Would those citizenry give me what the Queen is forced to give because of PC and asylum pushers? Just wondering. Really feel sorry that when one speaks of an Englishman, that an Englishman isn't what one would conjure up to be. We have the same problem here in the USA. It appears that the USA, British and German's aren't allowed to have nationalism without a lot of moaning. Just my opinion.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:46 AM
Administrator in Memoriam

We should be careful to avoid The Queen's current events thread spinning off into a discussion of nationalism.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

As a ps to the discussion of the prayer room:
from what we saw in the documentary "The Queen's Castle", it seems there's little that happens at Windsor that HM is not aware of.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Will Her Majesty let her Jewish live-in employees have a special room for a Passover meal?
I expect so, if they ask!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
As a competition rider you will known that wearing a helmet can also cause neck and back injuries.

Unless I am competing, I do not wear a helmet and at most of the shows here in the UK, you are only required to wear a 'hat' in the collecting ring or arena. Personally I think if the queen starts wearing a helmet, she will be pandering to the nanny state mentality.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Heir Apparent

One could argue what is worse - makuep during a dinner or tell-all book!

Former Governer-General Adrienne Clarkson chides Queen Elizabeth

Former Governer-General Adrienne Clarkson apparently doesn't think much of the manners of Britain's royal family.
In her new book, she chides Queen Elizabeth for daring to touch up her makeup during a fancy dinner party.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 10-03-2006, 02:40 PM

Well that's Adrienne Clarkson off my Christmas Card list.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
One could argue what is worse - makuep during a dinner or tell-all book!
I vote for book.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii