The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 05:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Two princes at play in the royal generation game

There are 63 years between them, but Prince Philip showed his grandson Prince Harry that age need never dampen the will to win - and it's the winning that counts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...9/nroyal29.xml

Old 05-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

WELL-WISHERS marked Queen Elizabeth's 80th birthday with outpourings of respect but The Duke of Edinburgh is instead facing a book counting down 60 years of his greatest gaffes.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...49-401,00.html

this should be an entertaining read!

Old 05-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I don't know; it seems mean-spririted but I guess if its published then there is an audience that likes that stuff. I was actually more impressed by the testimonies the men that served with Prince Philip in World War II gave. It gave a fuller picture of a man that while undeniably sharp-tongued, underwent hardship and was very loyal to his mates.

Of course, people that are in the market for a book of Philip's gaffes wouldn't care for these testimonies because the testamonies don't fall into the trap of describing Prince Philip as a caricature rather than a flesh and blood person.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 05-29-2006, 11:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I don't know; it seems mean-spririted but I guess if its published then there is an audience that likes that stuff. I was actually more impressed by the testimonies the men that served with Prince Philip in World War II gave. It gave a fuller picture of a man that while undeniably sharp-tongued, underwent hardship and was very loyal to his mates.

Of course, people that are in the market for a book of Philip's gaffes wouldn't care for these testimonies because the testamonies don't fall into the trap of describing Prince Philip as a caricature rather than a flesh and blood person.
Well personally, I am someone who is interested in those testimonies but i am also someone who would be interested in his quick-witted sayings. I don't think it's mean spirited, just a bit of comic relief. I don't think it is meant to be taken seriously and afterall, the reason why many people admire this man is because of his frankness.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:32 AM
Nobility

Australian, I whole heartedly agree. Most of his comments are taken out of context, which makes the statements appear offensive to a lot of people. Being PC can be so boring, it refreshing to read his comments. I'm putting the book on my Christmas/birthday wish list.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Duke to visit Lackham for Jubilee reception

THE Duke of Edinburgh will be in north Wiltshire this summer to help raise money for a scheme he set up 50 years ago.

http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news..._reception.php
Old 05-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel

Prince Philip is an open and honest man. I don't think he is ashamed of his "gaffes". He spoke his mind. Sometimes, it was quite fitting, but now who cares. The man is going to be 85. He has served Great Britain well. He was an outstanding Naval Officer. He is discreet when need be and loyal. Some of his children could have used some of his inner fortitude and loyalty.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

Bridge too far for Victoria honoured by Prince Philip

QUEEN Victoria, by all accounts, was not amused by its design. But next week a prominent member...

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=778922006
Old 05-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraB
Australian, I whole heartedly agree. Most of his comments are taken out of context, which makes the statements appear offensive to a lot of people. Being PC can be so boring, it refreshing to read his comments. I'm putting the book on my Christmas/birthday wish list.
Me too! Most of the people he makes his jokey comments to, understand and think they are funny, like Jomo Kenyatta.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Liberia's president to meet with Queen Elizabeth II

Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf arrived Monday in Britain for a three-day visit to meet with Queen Elizabeth II as well as with government officials for talks about aid. Johnson Sirleaf, the first democratically elected female head of state in Africa 's history, greeted supporters in central London .
http://english.pravda.ru/news/world/...1186-meeting-0

Taste of India in queen's birthday menu?

Delicious and spicy Indian food is so popular in Britain that it is all set to figure in the 'Great British Menu' that would be served to Queen Elizabeth and her 300 guests on her birthday on June 17.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1587519.cms
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 05-31-2006, 10:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth II (R) receives the President of Liberia, Mrs Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, who is the country's first woman President, at Buckingham Palace in London, 31 May 2006

from anp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3148529.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	246236  
Old 05-31-2006, 09:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Royal approval for the new regiment

A beating Retreat formation parade in Preston, freedom marches through city centres, soldiers reporting for duty in Liverpool, Manchester and Tameside - and a meeting with the Queen.
http://icseftonandwestlancs.icnetwor...name_page.html

Winner's toilet turnaround

Director Michael Winner invited a cleaner to tea yesterday to make up for snubbing an honour from Queen Elizabeth II because it's "what you get if you clean toilets well".
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/31052006/36...urnaround.html
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

It's the 53rd anniversary of the Queens coronation today! Congratulations on 53 years of a job well done. :)
Old 06-02-2006, 01:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydragon
It's the 53rd anniversary of the Queens coronation today! Congratulations on 53 years of a job well done. :)
Congratulations!!! Let us celebrate many more anniversaries of Her Majesty's coronation in the years to come! :) :) :)
Old 06-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Pictures from the Queens and Philip's visit to The Eden Project. 1st June 2006. Photo's from wireimage

Old 06-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Her Majesty the Queen today attended the the Vodaphone Epsom Derby on June 3, 2006 in Epsom, England.
From Getty Images Editorial.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	246623   Click image for larger version

Name:	03.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	246624   Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	246625  
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 06-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
Her Majesty the Queen today attended the the Vodaphone Epsom Derby on June 3, 2006 in Epsom, England.
From Getty Images Editorial.
What a busy lady!
The Queen looks very good in these purple outfit!
I admire her for all her work as a Queen and her devotion to her country! :)
Old 06-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

this is one of the funniest article I have ever read!

Is Prince Philip a god?

High in a mist-shrouded mountain village, an ancient tribe patiently awaits the return of its divine leader.

He is no mere mortal like themselves, dressed as they are in and straw sheaths to protect their modesty — rather, they believe he is the human face of an ancestral spirit who left their island many moons ago to look for a bride. Their legend tells how this spiritual ancestor ended up in England — and eventually married a queen. Which explains why the Duke of Edinburgh, who is well aware of his role as a god in the eyes of the Yaohnanen tribe, has established a curious relationship with these people, who dwell in a simple village in the centre of the Vanuatu island of Tanna in the South Pacific.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Britain's Prince Philip to celebrate 85th birthday in private

Prince Philip, husband of Queen Elizabeth II, will celebrate his 85th birthday on Saturday in private at Windsor Castle west of London, Buckingham Palace said Wednesday
http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...45&sec=apworld

Man (110) parties with whiskey, cigs

Henry Allingham, Britain's oldest man and oldest surviving veteran of World War I, celebrated his 110th birthday on Tuesday with tributes from Queen Elizabeth II and a military flypast.
http://iafrica.com/news/worldnews/503541.htm
Old 06-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Aristocracy

Philip looks fantastic for 85 years of age!
Old 06-07-2006, 03:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth II receives Ecuador's Ambassador to Britain Dr Teodoro Maldonado Reira, at Buckingham Palace, in central London Wednesday June 7, 2006

Queen Elizabeth II (L) receives poet Fleur Adcock (back R) from New Zealand and Poet Laureate Sir Andrew Motion, at Buckingham Palace, in central London, 07 June 2006. Miss Adcock was presented with The Queen's Gold Medal for Poetry.

from polfoto and profimedia
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ImageHandlerServlet.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	247537   Click image for larger version

Name:	NWS-1039914.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	247599  

Closed Thread