Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 3: May-December 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbette

Serene Highness
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe/04/30...p.ap/index.html

LONDON (AP) -- A new portrait of Queen Elizabeth II's husband, Prince Philip, depicts him bare-chested with a bug on his shoulder and a plant growing out of his finger.

The artist said that when Prince Philip saw the painting in its early stages he exclaimed, "Gadzooks! As long as I don't have to have it on my wall."

That was on the front page of a newspaper in Canada. I almost choked on my muffin when I saw it. I can't figure out what's funnier: the Prince's reaction or the fact that the Prince was clothed and the artist "imagined" him topless!!!

I've heard that Prince Philip is absolutly furious, but to my it seem ... very funny :lol: .

I read that he some times say things without thinking of the results, meaning that he is not diplomatic.

Originally posted by Lyonnaise@Apr 30th, 2004 - 9:23 pm
That was on the front page of a newspaper in Canada. I almost choked on my muffin when I saw it. I can't figure out what's funnier: the Prince's reaction or the fact that the Prince was clothed and the artist "imagined" him topless!!!
I think it was the cover of the National Post (getting in a bit of revenge for its former owner Conrad Black???). I remember walking by it on my way to work from the train station and almost spitting out my coffee when I saw the portrait. Not a pretty sight at all!

I just love it!! Philip gets some comeuppance for his indiscretions!! Now he is "indiscreet" forever on canvas!! :p :lol:

However, this following snippet from the CNN website goes a little bit too far:

The artist said the blue fly, known as a bluebottle, which he placed on Philip's shoulder, was meant to emphasize the prince's mortality, because it feeds on decaying organic matter and is sometimes used as a reminder of death.

It isn't nice to speak about or project someone's death!! :sick: :shock: :huh:
:wacko:

Is Prince Phillip in good health or not? I have not seen a photo of him in awhile and heard he was suffering from some degenerative disease.

Don't beleive everything you hear. There have been reports of the Prince being in bad health since the Golden Jubilee. True he is a little frail but he is in his 80s. For the most part he is still in good shape. He was seen in public the other day for Ascot and the Garter celebrations.

I have to concur with Timtonruben. He is still making very public appearances at the Garter ceremony and the Trooping of the Colour. The man just turned 83 and despite his best efforts, he has aged. No one can fight time forever--but the Duchess of Windsor gave it a great shot!!! :p

I worry for the Queen if and when something goes wrong. She lost her mother and sister in the space of 7 weeks in 2002. If Philip passes, I wonder how Her Majesty will fare?? I know she is a strong woman, but it has to be harder as she gets older.

Yes, especially since it's rumoured that she and Prince Charles aren't particularly close. Let's hope Prince Philip lasts for a good few years yet.

Originally posted by Elspeth@Jun 19th, 2004 - 9:08 pm
Yes, especially since it's rumoured that she and Prince Charles aren't particularly close. Let's hope Prince Philip lasts for a good few years yet.
What is the latest Elspeth?? Is it Camilla related???

I hope that Prince Philip will live more than 90.GOD SAVE PRINCE PHILIP :flower:

Originally posted by tiaraprin@Jun 19th, 2004 - 8:59 pm
If Philip passes, I wonder how Her Majesty will fare?? I know she is a strong woman, but it has to be harder as she gets older.
I still have a hard time remembering that Her Majesty and Prince Philip aren't getting any younger. As sad as it is to think when HRH's time does come it will be very hard for her, as all loss is hard, but her family will rally around her as when the Queen Mother and her sister passed on.

im sure!

Prince Phillip had health problems i read articles said he had laser cancer or whatever where he wents for appt! if HM Queen really worried about him!

Sara Boyce

Originally posted by sara1981@Jun 19th, 2004 - 11:47 pm
im sure!

Prince Phillip had health problems i read articles said he had laser cancer or whatever where he wents for appt! if HM Queen really worried about him!

Sara Boyce
I totally did not understand what you just said Sara?

I don't think it has to do with Camilla; I just gathered that there was always a distance betwseen Charles and his parents, which is why he was so much closer to the Queen Mother and Lord Mountbatten when he was younger, and he and the Queen appear to have different outlooks on a lot of things. I'm quite sure his marital debacle hasn't helped, though.

Originally posted by Elspeth@Jun 19th, 2004 - 11:56 pm
I don't think it has to do with Camilla; I just gathered that there was always a distance betwseen Charles and his parents, which is why he was so much closer to the Queen Mother and Lord Mountbatten when he was younger, and he and the Queen appear to have different outlooks on a lot of things. I'm quite sure his marital debacle hasn't helped, though.
Thanks Elspeth. I thought there was something new that was pushing them further apart.

I wonder how she felt at the Jubilee Rock Concert when he addressed her as "Mummy"?? I almost had a heart attack!! :shock:

Elspeth  Posted: Jun 19th, 2004 - 11:56 pm

Too bad about Charles and with the relationship with his parents. ..... certainly the 'generation gap' that came to play - the 'Beatles' and so on.
And (sadly just like in Denmark with Prince Henrik) the fathering = and pseudo-mothering = came from one who had a severe case of PMS realizing that they were second fiddle, not a bread earner, didn't need to do anything fearless ..... a real separator effect.

I wonder how she felt at the Jubilee Rock Concert when he addressed her as "Mummy"?? I almost had a heart attack!!

I think that's just the way the royal family refers to their female parents. The Queen was calling the Queen Mother " mummy" in a documentary made fairly recently.

Originally posted by Elspeth@Jun 20th, 2004 - 7:02 pm
I wonder how she felt at the Jubilee Rock Concert when he addressed her as "Mummy"?? I almost had a heart attack!!

I think that's just the way the royal family refers to their female parents. The Queen was calling the Queen Mother " mummy" in a documentary made fairly recently.
The reason I was shocked that he called her "Mummy" in public is because their relationship is very tenuous, to say the least. I didn't think he would have the "guts" to refer to Her Majesty that way in public.

I hope there will be a lot of news and new pictures of HER GRACIOUS MAJESTY and her husband HRH PRINCE PHILIP.Wait and see for the pictures in the future:Opening of Scottish Parliarment,State Visit of The Queen to Germany,State Visit of French President to UK,Opening of Parliament,.. and other pics from Engagements of Her Majesty and The Duke.

Queen of Australia

When will the Elizabeth II visit australia again?

i don't know.Maybe next year?Next year The Queen will visit Canada.I hope that she will visit Australia.

State Visits

When the Queen goes on state visits is she representing just Great Britain or the entire commonwealth for example does she ever make state visits as the Queen of Australia, Canada or New Zealand?....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom