The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 07:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

November 19, 2004: Queen Elizabeth smiles as President Jacques Chirac departs Windsor Castle. The French President is in Britain to mark the climax of celebrations of the centenary of the Entente Cordiale, the agreement between the two countries which put a rest to centuries of warfare. AFP PHOTO Adrian DENNIS/WPA POOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p2393595.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	58091   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP625231_guest.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	58104   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP625236_guest.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	58105   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP625240_guest.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	58106  

Attached Images

Old 11-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Madame Chirac bowl to The Queen.She also did on The Queens State Visit to France in April.

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 11-20-2004, 06:02 AM
Courtier

Actually the ban is on hunting with dogs. That involves a lot more than just fox hunting. Only Princes Charles, William and Harry hunt. I belive Zara Philips has attended a few but that is it. The rest of the royals would never be at it as the Queen Mother really detised the idea of hunting something that you had no intention of eating and I think that same philosophy filtered down to the Queen and her children. I can only presume that Charles got into it through his friends and Camilla Parker Bowles.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:24 PM
Aristocracy

Queen's speech

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/...ch/default.stm

Quote:

Full text of 2004 Queen's Speech

Here is the full text of the 2004 Queen's Speech:

My Lords and members of the House of Commons.

My Government will continue to pursue policies which entrench economic stability and promote growth and prosperity.

My Government will continue to reform the public services to ensure they provide more security and opportunity for all.

My Government attaches the highest importance to extending educational opportunity so that all individuals can realise their full potential and the country can benefit from the talents of all its people.

A Bill will be introduced to streamline the regime of school inspections to help raise standards for every child in every school.

A Bill will be introduced to extend financial support for 16 to 19-year-olds engaged in training and education.

My Government recognises that we live in a time of global uncertainty with an increased threat from international terrorism and organised crime. Measures to extend opportunity will be accompanied by legislation to increase security for all.

My Government will legislate to introduce an identity cards scheme, and will publish proposals to support the continuing fight against terrorism in the United Kingdom and elsewhere.

Legislation will be introduced to establish the Serious Organised Crime Agency, and the powers the police and others have to fight crime will be strengthened.

In particular, the Bill will introduce new measures to deal with harassment by animal rights extremists.

My Government will introduce legislation to tackle the problem of drug abuse and the crime that flows from it, and will tackle the disorder and violence that can arise from the abuse of alcohol.

My Government has always recognised the importance of clean and safe neighbourhoods. There will be further legislation to tackle anti-social behaviour.

A Bill will be introduced to help to reduce further the numbers of those killed or injured on the roads.

My Government will bring forward legislation to reduce re-offending by improving the management of offenders.

A draft Bill will be published to tackle juvenile crime through more effective rehabilitation and sentencing.

Legislation will be introduced to reform the criminal defence service, making better use of legal aid resources. A draft Bill will be published to support those with legitimate civil claims and reform the system of tribunals.

A draft Bill will be published to introduce a new offence of corporate manslaughter.

My Government will continue to take action to secure high levels of employment as it reforms the welfare state.

My Government will continue to provide protection from discrimination and exploitation.

Legislation will be introduced to combat discrimination in the provision of goods and services on the grounds of religion, as well as race, sex and disability. A single Commission for Equality and Human Rights will be established.

My Government will maintain its commitment to social justice and legislate to increase the rights of disabled people.

My Government will continue its reform of the National Health Service, offering more information, power and choice to patients, with equal access for all and free at the point of delivery.

My Government will continue with legislation to provide a statutory framework for dealing with the financial, health and welfare decisions of those people who might lack capacity through mental illness or disability.

Measures to reform the law on mental health will continue to undergo pre-legislative scrutiny.

My Government believes that the welfare of children is paramount. Draft legislation will be published to safeguard the welfare of children in circumstances of parental separation and inter-country adoption.

Consumer credit law will be updated to provide greater protection from unfair lending practices and create a fairer and more competitive credit market.

My Government will also introduce a Bill to improve standards of animal welfare and increase the penalties for abuse.

My Government will continue to modernise the constitution and institutions of our country to ensure they are equipped to meet the challenges of the future.

Legislation will be brought forward to provide a modern and comprehensive framework for statutory inquiries into matters of public concern.

My Government will continue to take forward in this session the constitutional legislation introduced last year.

A Bill will be introduced to give effect to the Constitutional Treaty for the European Union, subject to a referendum.

My Government is committed to reducing bureaucracy and the costs of Government, and to promoting efficiency. A Bill will be introduced to integrate the Inland Revenue and Her Majesty's Customs and Excise.

My Government recognises the importance of modern, effective and safe transport to meet the needs of the public and the wider economy.

Legislation will be introduced to streamline the organisation of the national rail system to improve performance.

A Bill will be brought forward to authorise the construction of Crossrail.

The Government will continue to legislate to allow local authorities to provide innovative and safe school transport.

My Government believes that the voluntary sector is a great strength of this country.

Charity law will be modernised so that a vibrant, diverse and independent charitable sector can continue to flourish with public confidence.

My Government will introduce legislation to consolidate the distribution of lottery money to good causes.

Proposals will be published to protect the nation's rural heritage, through draft legislation to modernise the management of common land, and to create new arrangements to deliver rural policy.

Members of the House of Commons. Estimates for the Public Services will be laid before you.

My Lords and members of the House of Commons.

My Government will continue to work closely with the devolved administrations in Scotland and Wales, and will work to bring about the conditions necessary for the restoration of the political institutions in Northern Ireland.

Legislation will be introduced to provide the Welsh Assembly with a range of transport related powers.

Other measures will be laid before you.

The Duke of Edinburgh and I look forward to our visit to Canada. We look forward to receiving the state visit of His Excellency the President of the Republic of Korea and receiving the state visit of His Excellency the President of Italy.

To mark the centenary of Norway's independence, we also look forward to receiving Their Majesties King Harald and Queen Sonja of Norway.

My Government will assume the Presidency of the European Union in July and will use this opportunity to work towards building an increasingly prosperous and secure Europe.

In addition to the European Union Presidency, my Government will hold the G8 Presidency in 2005, which will include working on the important issues of Africa and climate change.

My Government will continue to work with partners around the world to prevent terrorism and the proliferation of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons, and the problems of drug smuggling and international crime.

My Government will work to strengthen commitment on both sides of the Atlantic to the transatlantic relationship and to the continued effectiveness of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, and will work with the international community to strengthen the United Nations.

My Government will continue to support the Government of Iraq to provide security and stability and ensure that elections can be held in January.

My Government will continue to support efforts to build peace in the Middle East, to promote democratic reform and reduce conflict and extremism. My Lords and members of the House of Commons. I pray that the blessing of Almighty God may rest upon your counsels.

Alexander Smith

Old 11-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Aristocracy

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM: Britain's Queen Elizabeth (L) and the Duke of Edinburgh (C) are heralded into the Royal Gallery in the House of Lords at the Palace of Westminster, during the State Opening of Parliament in London, 23 November 2004. AFP PHOTO POOL Russell Boyce (Photo credit should read RUSSELL BOYCE/AFP/Getty Images)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	51778372.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	58309   Click image for larger version

Name:	51778389.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	58310   Click image for larger version

Name:	51778459.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	58311   Click image for larger version

Name:	51778822.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	58312  

Name:	51778826.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	58313   Click image for larger version

Name:	51778823.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	58314   Click image for larger version

Name:	51779028.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	58315   Click image for larger version

Name:	51779078.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	58316  

Name:	51778871.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	58317  
Attached Images

Alexander Smith

Old 11-23-2004, 08:07 PM
Heir Apparent

This year the first time The Queen wears gold dress at The Opening of Parliarment.She looks very nice.So alot of visit to UK next year,President of Italy and King Harald's official visit.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Any links to hear The Queens Speech at Parliarment?
Old 11-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

some more pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AP633904_guest.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	58468   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP633887_guest.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	58469   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP633906_guest.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	58470   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP633911_guest.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	58471  

Name:	AP633918_guest.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	58472   Click image for larger version

Name:	AP633924_guest.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	58473  
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2004, 10:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

and some more...
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2004, 11:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

If you all are interested in more pics, check out the gettyimages website below...

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...0||0|0|0|0&p=7
Old 11-24-2004, 12:04 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
cspan.org has awesome coverage cuz they go to this news programme that actually talks about the hsitory of this and also some political analysis of what may be said. but this is b/f and after the speech. it is quite fun. you will ahev to scroll down and look for british opening of parliament or something like that.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:37 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/...ch/default.stm#

this link provides a video link it's roughly about 20 minutes. It's under the headline BBC NEWS: VIDEO AND AUDIO. (in both windows media and real player )
It provides an excellent summary,commentary and analysis,photo gallery as well as historical background/perspective. :) :)

Alexander Smith

Old 11-24-2004, 02:14 AM
Gentry

The Queen looked so beatiful in that white cape and pearl-and-diamond encrusted jewellery on the way to the Opening of the Parliament.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:21 AM
Royal Highness

look at cspan.org. it is much better than the bbc coverage!:)
Old 11-24-2004, 07:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

close-up of her gown, necklace and the crown....
In one word: Splendid!!!!
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2004, 07:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdas1201
close-up of her gown, necklace and the crown....
In one word: Splendid!!!!
The dress looks very nice.Her Majesty looks so beautiful.
Today Her Majesty will hold an Investiture at Buckingham Palace.And tomorrow The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will carry out 7 engagements visits in Essex.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Courtier

She looked very nice. I like the dress.
I think that her more recent evening gowns are - with few exceptions - better than those she wore in the '90s. Take, for example, the dress she wore at Opening of Parliament in 2002 or the pale blue one she wore at dinner at 10 Downing Street in 2002: they were nice.

Other Opening of Parliament pictures.
http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51...57C85AE85A779B

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51...C30E9B9B114CE8

This is funny.

She's always wearing that shoes.......

I like this (the ceremony is shown on a screen in the Palace of Westminster: on the left there's a statue of Elizabeth I, on the right.... you all know.)

I'm happy because the President of Italy is due to visit Her Majesty.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:21 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaR
She looked very nice. I like the dress. (She wore it also at the State Banquet for President Bush).
I think that her more recent evenig gowns are - with few exceptions - better than those she wore in the '90s. Take, for example, the dress she wore at Opening of Parliament in 2002 or the pale blue one she wore at dinner at 10 Downing Street in 2002: they were nice.

Other Opening of Parliament pictures.
http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/51...57C85AE85A779B

This is funny.

She's always wearing that shoes.......

I like this (the ceremony is shown on a screen in the Palace of Westminster: on the left there's a statue of Elizabeth I, on the right.... you all know.)

I'm happy because the President of Italy is due to visit Her Majesty.
Yes the dress looks very nice ElsaR but i dont think this is the one Her Majesty wear at The State Banquet for President Bush.The one at State Banquet looks different to this one,i'm sure.:)
Old 11-24-2004, 04:39 PM
Courtier

I think you're right. I checked the banquet dress: it's similar but there are differences.
So this is a new dress!
(I corrected my previous post).
Old 11-24-2004, 05:51 PM

queen opening parliment question

Can anyone tell me who the two women wearing white dresses were? They followed the Queen into the speech, and then just stood their while she talked. Were they her lady's in waiting or something? The broadcasters identified everyone except for them.
Thanks

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii