The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 01:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Are there any files or links to hear Queen Elizabeth speak?

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 08-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Gentry

Here's a video of the Queen giving a speech at Princess Diana's memorial fountain.
Click on the second link,under Watch and Listen
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3866863.stm
Hope it helps!

Old 08-09-2004, 10:00 AM
Heir Apparent

Thank you,Glossypinky.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Serene Highness

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip, News and Pictures thread IV

Welcome to the Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip thread, new and pictures : part 4 !!!

for older posts in the 3rd part : Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip: April - August 2004
Old 08-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Heir Apparent

I hope there will be a lot of news and new pictures of HER GRACIOUS MAJESTY and her husband HRH PRINCE PHILIP.Wait and see for the pictures in the future:Opening of Scottish Parliarment,State Visit of The Queen to Germany,State Visit of French President to UK,Opening of Parliament,.. and other pics from Engagements of Her Majesty and The Duke.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:46 AM
Heir Apparent

Had the date of French State Visit to Great Britain announced yet?
Old 08-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Queen of Australia

When will the Elizabeth II visit australia again?
Old 08-25-2004, 10:25 AM
Heir Apparent

i don't know.Maybe next year?Next year The Queen will visit Canada.I hope that she will visit Australia.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

I found out sun news about Queen's choir boss in jail

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2004391843,00.html

Sara Boyce
Old 08-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Commoner

State Visits

When the Queen goes on state visits is she representing just Great Britain or the entire commonwealth for example does she ever make state visits as the Queen of Australia, Canada or New Zealand?....
Old 08-25-2004, 08:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxon
When the Queen goes on state visits is she representing just Great Britain or the entire commonwealth for example does she ever make state visits as the Queen of Australia, Canada or New Zealand?....
It is very rare for the Queen to make a state visit to other countries in any other role besides Queen of the United Kingdom. For the most part the Queen acts only as Queen of Australia, or Canada when she is in that country. It is usually the Governor-Generals of the commonwealth realms who make state visits abroad, when they do they represent both the people of their country and the Queen. However, their are exceptions for example the Queen has traveled to the United States as a Princess of Canada in 1951 and later as Queen of Canada in 1957 or 1959 I can't remember the exact year.

In 2003 Her Majesty acted as Queen of Australia during the opening of the Autralian War Memorial in London. In 2004 she acted as Queen of Canada during a special ceremony marking D-Day at Juno Beach in France. She has also acted as Queen of Canada during the unveiling of the Canadian War Memorial in London.

But for the most part, she only acts as Queen of her commonwealth realms when in those countries. The reason for this is that there would be too much confusion as to what role she is performing if she traveled to one country as Queen of New Zealand and then as Queen of Jamaica to another for example.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:19 PM
Aristocracy

New Canadian $20 Bill

The Bank of Canada today displayed the new Canadian $20 which features a new more updated picture of Her Majesty the Queen of Canada. Click on the link below to see a picture.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/bankno...2001-05_20.htm
Old 08-26-2004, 12:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Nice new dollar.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:29 AM
Heir Apparent

I 've read that The Queen will open The Commonwealth Meeting in Malta in Dec. next year.But has The Queen ever opened The Commonwealth Games in other countries in The Commonwealth yet?Or only in Great Britain?Because the next Commonwealth Games will be in Australia.So i want to know?
Old 08-27-2004, 10:53 PM
Majesty

opening Commonwealth Games

The Queen doesn't open the games at all. She sends a representative to do it for her e.g. in Brisbane in 1982 Prince Philip did it and in KL in 1998 and Manchester in 2002 Prince Edward did it.

Prince Philip opened the games, in the name of the Queen, on most, if not all occasions, from 1958 to 1998 I think. The Queen was not well enough in 1958, according to my recollection and research, to go to Cardiff for the opening but was there for the closing which is when the system changed to what it is today.

In the mid to late 90s the Duke of Edinburgh started handing over some of his leadership roles to Prince Edward - e.g. the role with the Commonwealth Games and the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme.

My records indicate that she always closes the games so I expect her, and the Duke, to be visiting Melbourne, God willing, in 2006. Other members of the family also usually attend.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

We are deprived of royalty here. =(
Old 08-30-2004, 12:29 AM
Aristocracy

The Queen

It is not known when the Queen will next visit Australia. The Queen only visits Australia when the Australian government asks her to come.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, i would have thought, that Queen Elizabeth II being our sovereign, would come more regularly to Australia and to visit its people. and to know more about a country that is part of her commonwealth.

I would like to see her more often
Old 08-30-2004, 12:42 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
Yes, i would have thought, that Queen Elizabeth II being our sovereign, would come more regularly to Australia and to visit its people. and to know more about a country that is part of her commonwealth.

I would like to see her more often
As I stated before the matter is not in the Queen's hands it's up to the Australian government to ask her to come on a visit. Visits vary in all of her Commonwealth realms. For example in Canada the Queen is asked by the government to make a tour once every two to three years, though it is expected that her trips aboard will be cut back as she gets older.

I know the Queen visited Australia last during her Golden Jubliee in 2002 so hopefully in the near future the Australian government will ask her to come again. The other reason why the Queen has not been asked to make many tours of Australia in recent years is because of the growing republic movement in Australia, espically back in the late 1990s when the vote on the future of the monarchy in Australia was held.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes thats right, what would you think if Australia had it's own monarchy, but it started a long time ago. Would the "Australian monarchy' be respected overseas? would we be included in overseas royal weddings etc. Just curious

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii