The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Absolutly right! I agree 100%. I think she would have been very happy with her animals, and he would have with his naval career. But they both understood their destinys.

Old 08-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Phillip the Duke of Edinburgh, who served with the British Pacific Fleet waves to the Band of the Brigade of Gurkhas during a ceremony to mark the sixtieth anniversary of Victory over Japan (VJ) Day and honour the men and women who served Britain during the Second World War at the Imperial War museum in London, 15 August 2004. One hundred veterans and former Far East prisoners of war attended the ceremony. From aap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BRITAIN-VJ DAY-PRINCE PHI_3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	180874   Click image for larger version

Name:	BRITAIN-VJ DAY-PRINCE PHI_4.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	180875   Click image for larger version

Name:	BRITAIN-VJ DAY-PRINCE PHI_5.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	180876   Click image for larger version

Name:	BRITAIN-VJ DAY-PRINCE PHI_2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	180880  

Old 08-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Aristocracy

Gee in the second picture he look he is pretending to talk on a cell phone and play the bag pipe at same time. I would love to go in his head and find out what he is thinking. He he he he he!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Courtier

If you look at him carefully, you will notice that is touching his ear. As he was probably stopping to wave in that moment, his right hand is still raised.

However, the picture is funny! (A reason because I wouldn't like to be famous are the photographers - they always take a picture when you look funny or even worse).
Old 08-15-2005, 06:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I'm sure you're right, that given the opportunity they would still pick each other. But I think they both would have preferred a more stereotypical, upper-class lifestyle, with him pursuing the naval career and her living in a country house with horses and dogs.
I completely agree. I remember also some programme or inteview where he or his friend Michael Parker were saying something about how when Elizabeth became queen he thought he might be able to continue his naval career. I think that for a man like him it must have been and probably is very difficult being basically Mr.Queen (hehe).

In any case it's an interesting situation because male consorts are in such a different position than queen consorts. The latter tend to get more or equal attention as their husbands, but male consorts tend to not be cared much about. Think of when they travel overseas all the attention is on the queen except for when he makes a gaffe. Yet when the Kings of Spain travel abroad, for example, I would say there's equal attention on both.

Whatever the truth about their private relationship (whether he's been faithful or not) IMO the fact is he's made a very big sacrifice for her and if the rumors of his infidelities are false then it has been an even bigger sacrifice.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:42 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise27
In any case it's an interesting situation because male consorts are in such a different position than queen consorts. The latter tend to get more or equal attention as their husbands, but male consorts tend to not be cared much about. Think of when they travel overseas all the attention is on the queen except for when he makes a gaffe. Yet when the Kings of Spain travel abroad, for example, I would say there's equal attention on both.
Exactly. That's what I meant by "second fiddle."

Let's compare two royal couples, Elizabeth and Philip versus Charles and Diana.

Elizabeth and Charles would always get the attention by virtue of being queen or prince of Wales. Diana would get attention by her clothes and sheer "star power." Nobody really cares what Philip wears. He's just the spouse of a queen. (Okay, an exaggeration, he was an attractive young man so he got attention then.)

Or compare Philip with Prince Henrik and Prince Claus. Nobody really pays/paid much attention to them. But royal women get attention all the time!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:37 AM
Heir Apparent

More pictures of the Duke of Edinburgh at 60th Anniversary of the end of VJ Day yesterday:
Pictures from Getty Images(one picture) and Abacausa Press:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	392819.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	180998   Click image for larger version

Name:	392821.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	180999   Click image for larger version

Name:	392823.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	181000   Click image for larger version

Name:	392825.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	181001  

Name:	392826.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	181002   Click image for larger version

Name:	392827.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	181003   Click image for larger version

Name:	392828.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	181004   Click image for larger version

Name:	53391098.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	181005  

God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 08-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...736212,00.html

Prince Philip joins veterans to pay respects on VJ Day
by Paul Platt, Times Online, and PA

War veterans and prison camp survivors who fought in the Far East during World War II joined Prince Philip in remembering the 60th anniversary of Victory over Japan Day.

NI_MPU('middle');The Prince attended a reunion at the Imperial War Museum in south London as veterans across the world remembered the day.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:56 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
Yes, he gave up a very promising naval career, just to be her second fiddle. No wonder he gets worked up sometimes, it must have been very frustrating for an active man.
I think Philip thought his role would be more high profile than it turned out to be.

Philip was a penniless exiled Prince of Greece who was bounced between his rich relatives for much of his earlier life. His uncle flat out told him he needed to marry well.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Courtier

They pay little attention to him even when he undertakes an important engagement on his own. Even at VJ Day celebrations: all articles only say that he met veterans and he laid a wreath, but anything more. They don't tell any further detail about him or if he said something (and this means he didn't make gaffes). There's only an indirect reference: the interview with the veteran saved by his ship.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Elizabeth II (l) and the Duke of Edinburgh receive the President of Malta, Dr Edward Fenech-Adami and his wife, Mary at Balmoral Castle

From aap
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MALTA-ROYAL-PRESIDENT-QUEEN.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	181293   Click image for larger version

Name:	UK-ROYAL MALTA 1-044841-pih.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	181294  
Old 08-17-2005, 06:17 AM
Heir Apparent

http://217.145.4.56/ind/news.asp?newsitemid=20134
President guest of the Queen
Old 08-17-2005, 07:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/displ...entPK=13020232

ROYAL VISITOR IS A SWIFT BOOST TO FUND
Old 08-17-2005, 09:14 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchainho
http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/displ...entPK=13020232

ROYAL VISITOR IS A SWIFT BOOST TO FUND

This story is not very clear to me, but it's nice (besides the menigitis, of course).
Old 08-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Heir Apparent

More pictures of the Queen and The Duke of Ediburgh at the Meeting with the President of Malta:
Photos from Getty Images Editorial:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	53399100.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	181518   Click image for larger version

Name:	53399107.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	181519   Click image for larger version

Name:	53399112.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	181520   Click image for larger version

Name:	53399116.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	181521  

Old 08-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Goodness, the Queen is wearing a cardigan to receive a foreign president? I mean, I know she's on holiday but that's a bit casual.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think Prince Philip has aged a lot in the last year or two? He seems to have a bit of trouble standing up straight these days; he seems to be affecting the bent-old-man posture a bit.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth

Is it just me, or does anybody else think Prince Philip has aged a lot in the last year or two? He seems to have a bit of trouble standing up straight these days; he seems to be affecting the bent-old-man posture a bit.
I must agree with you, Elspeth. Still, he looks very good for an 84-year-old.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Goodness, the Queen is wearing a cardigan to receive a foreign president? I mean, I know she's on holiday but that's a bit casual.

The Queen always wears a cardigan when receiving guests at Balmoral.

About Philip. I sometimes have the same impression.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Courtier

Prince Phillip seems in good shape for an 84 years old man. Unfortunately at that age, the effect of time tends to show by leap - one day you can run the next you need a walking stick.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Courtier

By the way, I discovered that he finished second in a carriage driving competition last weekend.
In the last two years he seems to have improved in the sport.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii