Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 7: July-September 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
VJ celebrations

BBC News

Veterans mark wartime anniversary

World War II veterans in Scotland have taken part in events marking the 60th anniversary of the end of the conflict.
The Duke of Edinburgh joined hundreds of war veterans for a service of remembrance at St Margaret's Episcopal Church in Aberdeen. ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4171500.stm

The visit of the Queen to Bexley has been for nearly a month but those pics have nt been posted at the event's time.
They are from Royal Insight:
1.The Queen is greeted by crowds in Bexley town centre
2.The Queen attends a civic lunch at Danson House to celebrate Bexley Council's 40th anniversary.

Attachments

• Insight_aug05_oa_bex2_large.jpg
    Insight_aug05_oa_bex2_large.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 118
  • Insight_aug05_oa_bex5_large.jpg
    Insight_aug05_oa_bex5_large.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 178
Queen Elizabeth II will receive to President of Chile in Buckingham

Meetings with the highest British authorities will include the work visit that will make the 11 of October President Ricardo Lagos to London, where will receive Queen Elizabeth II. The appointment, of deprived character, will take place in the Buckingham Palace, where also it received to agent chief executives Patricio Aylwin and Eduardo Frei Ruiz-Tagle. Also, Lagos will maintain an encounter with prime minister, Tony Blair, in the governmental seat of Downing Street. The Chilean President has predicted to send a book in English, with a selection of his speeches, a prologue of the own Blair.

These activities, not considered originally in the international agenda that handled the Currency at the beginning of year, were managed makes a pair of weeks by the ambassador in England, Mariano Fernandez, who now sharpens in Chile the details of the visit. Trip to London adds to encounter which it will make specific Lagos in Madrid with King Juan Carlos, who invited the Chilean Chief of State to be present in the Spanish military parade of the 12 of October.

http://www.tercera.cl/medio/articulo/0,0,3255_5664_155786388,00.html

1975 Japanese files released

From Japan Today

Japanese royalists feared Queen Elizabeth's human approach

Friday, August 26, 2005 at 13:23 JST
LONDON — Japanese officials tried to tone down Queen Elizabeth II's visit to Japan in 1975 because they feared unfavorable comparisons would be made with its own royal family, which many people felt operated in a staid fashion, documents released to Kyodo News under freedom of information laws show.

Foreign Office files reveal that initially the Imperial Household Agency wanted the queen's itinerary to follow the "slow, formal and secluded movements of the Emperor's (Hirohito) own life," according to a dispatch from British Ambassador Fred Warner. But British pressure resulted in the finalized program including plenty of events where the queen was able to interact with members of the public in a more informal atmosphere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Idriel said:
From Japan Today

LONDON — Japanese officials tried to tone down Queen Elizabeth II's visit to Japan in 1975 because they feared unfavorable comparisons would be made with its own royal family, which many people felt operated in a staid fashion, documents released to Kyodo News under freedom of information laws show.

Foreign Office files reveal that initially the Imperial Household Agency wanted the queen's itinerary to follow the "slow, formal and secluded movements of the Emperor's (Hirohito) own life," according to a dispatch from British Ambassador Fred Warner. But British pressure resulted in the finalized program including plenty of events where the queen was able to interact with members of the public in a more informal atmosphere.

Very interesting.

ElisaR said:
Very interesting.

Why am I not surprised?? And why are they shocked the backlash the IHA is getting now for the way the treat Poor Masako and Aiko??? The IHA makes "the Grey Men" look like swingers!!!! That is really sad!!!

Aug. 11 2005 The Queen & Princess Beatrice watch the MacCulloch Dancers (of Ontario, Canada) perform at Balmoral.

Photo: James MacCulloch, Ottawa Citizen

Attachments

• 2005 08 11.jpg
    2005 08 11.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 202
Idriel said:
From Japan Today

Well that's a SURPRISE!!!
Queen Elizabeth during the seventies considered HUMAN!!! :eek:
But maybe because that was pre-Diana and nobody recongized yet how royals being human was REALLY like.
Queen Elizabeth like Charles and Anne especially have always been criticized for being not very approachable and too professional rather than earthy.
The Japanese royals must be really COLD and INHUMAN if Queen Elizabeth is considered WARM by comparison!!!

In their defence...

Vicomtesse said:
Well that's a SURPRISE! Queen Elizabeth during the seventies considered HUMAN!...The Japanese royals must be really COLD and INHUMAN if Queen Elizabeth is considered WARM by comparison!
I think it is unfair to blame the Japanese Imperial Family; it is the Imperial Household Agency which seems to make all the decisions. The family seemed powerless to protect Princess Masako from the ravages of the IHA.

Queen Elizabeth may appear "cold" and "inhuman" but I would suggest the woman behind the royal facade is quite the opposite; those who have met her have been charmed, and surprised by her sense of humour. I may be wrong but I don't recall Diana ever having said anything negative about The Queen.

Warren said:
I think it is unfair to blame the Japanese Imperial Family; it is the Imperial Household Agency which seems to make all the decisions. The family seemed powerless to protect Princess Masako from the ravages of the IHA.

Queen Elizabeth may appear "cold" and "inhuman" but I would suggest the woman behind the royal facade is quite the opposite; those who have met her have been charmed, and surprised by her sense of humour. I may be wrong but I don't recall Diana ever having said anything negative about The Queen.

i would agree with you! i dont think Britsh Royal Family would blame to Japan Royal Family for more reasons!

Sara Boyce

how nice of HM Queen brings her grandchildren to watch MacCulloch Dancers

Sara Boyce

Warren said:
I personaly find E II a very nice and warm woman. Not the way of Ex-Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, but warm in her own way. And her sense of humour (particularly in private) is well documented :) .
I don't think Diana said something bad about the Queen neither, outside her disappointment when the Queen basically told her to accept the Charles-Camz situation. But it was very obvious she had a huge respect for the Queen, IMO.

Nice picture. :)

Idriel said:
I personaly find E II a very nice and warm woman. Not the way of Ex-Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, but warm in her own way. And her sense of humour (particularly in private) is well documented :) .
I agree. :)

Stunning pic of EII

I just found this terrific pic of EII. Don't know if it has been posted already but I will share anyway.
If anyone has the colour version, I would be very grateful :) .

Attachments

• usequeen2.jpg
    usequeen2.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 174
Idriel said:
I just found this terrific pic of EII. Don't know if it has been posted already but I will share anyway.

Yes, a great picture. I would like to see a coloured version too.

Idriel said:

She is at Opening of Parliament in 1952. Yes, it's a great picture.

ElisaR said:
She is at Opening of Parliament in 1952. Yes, it's a great picture.
Was the Queen wearing a tiara at the State Opening of Parliament in 1952? She hadn't been crowned yet.

She probably kept the George IV circlet on for the whole ceremony rather than exchanging it for the Imperial State Crown, which is what she wears these days.

Elspeth said:
She probably kept the George IV circlet on for the whole ceremony rather than exchanging it for the Imperial State Crown, which is what she wears these days.

That's right.

I think the main reason HM comes off as cold is because she is shy and reserved. But as we know she has a wonderful sense of humor. Shyness does run in the family. (ie. her father was extremely shy) As for Prince Philip, he is like many men from his generation. My grandfather has made rude comments maybe not as many Prince Philip but then he is not in the public eye. I think in a book I read that Prince Philip was said to be shy too.

I love the picture of HM and Princess beatrice at Balmoral. Are there anymore?

CATS said:
I think the main reason HM comes off as cold is because she is shy and reserved. But as we know she has a wonderful sense of humor. Shyness does run in the family. (ie. her father was extremely shy) As for Prince Philip, he is like many men from his generation. My grandfather has made rude comments maybe not as many Prince Philip but then he is not in the public eye. I think in a book I read that Prince Philip was said to be shy too.

I love the picture of HM and Princess beatrice at Balmoral. Are there anymore?

I can't remember very well now, but I read somewhere that some shy people talk a lot. It could be Philip's case.

Interesting article rchainho. I agree with what Amanda Platell has to say. There's a certain dignity etc... that the queen brings to every event that Charles can't. But I think that a great reason why any big event in which only charles is present seems second rate is becauase the queen has reigned so long.

rchainho said:
http://www.newstatesman.com/200508290039

The edge - Amanda Platell reprimands the Queen

"Reprimands the Queen"? Why? It's not her fault!
I don't like this article. The autor seems also to blame Charles because he attended VJ celebrations. But it's only Governement's fault. They decided for a big celebration on 10 July, which disapponted both VE and VJ veterans. Two events on the appropriate days, with the Queen and the ministers, would have been the right solution.
:mad:

rchainho said:
http://www.newstatesman.com/200508290039

The edge - Amanda Platell reprimands the Queen

Looks like Amanda's not really reprimanding the Queen - she's using the occasion as an excuse to bash Charles. I think for the veterans it was a non-issue.

And her sympathy for the slighted veterans seems a little hollow and fake. She's using them for her own agenda. Pretty crass since these men did perform a great service to their country and don't really need their event to be used by a reporter for her own beefs.

Well, obviously while the Queen is still alive, Charles isn't going to be the most important member of the royal family, however much the Queen tries to give him prominent things to do. If Tony Blair didn't want to come and do the honours and help make it a state occasion, it's hardly Charles's fault. As far as medals are concerned, I don't think the Queen saw active service in the war apart from a few months in the ATS, when she was living at Windsor and was chauffeured to the ATS camp every day, but people didn't complain when she showed up at the Trooping the Colour ceremony with a chest full of medals. If they wanted someone whose medals meant something, perhaps they could have sent Prince Philip, but no doubt Amanda Platell would then be complaining that the Queen thought so little of the event that she couldn't send herself or her heir. You just can't do it right for some people.

Elspeth said:
Well, obviously while the Queen is still alive, Charles isn't going to be the most important member of the royal family, however much the Queen tries to give him prominent things to do. If Tony Blair didn't want to come and do the honours and help make it a state occasion, it's hardly Charles's fault. As far as medals are concerned, I don't think the Queen saw active service in the war apart from a few months in the ATS, when she was living at Windsor and was chauffeured to the ATS camp every day, but people didn't complain when she showed up at the Trooping the Colour ceremony with a chest full of medals. If they wanted someone whose medals meant something, perhaps they could have sent Prince Philip, but no doubt Amanda Platell would then be complaining that the Queen thought so little of the event that she couldn't send herself or her heir. You just can't do it right for some people.

But Philip was attending a VJ celebration in Aberdeen on the same day (and both ceremonies took place in the afternoon). We all know how good he is, but being in both Aberdeen and London at the same time is really beyond his ability. :D

Well, they'll just have to clone him, then. Wouldn't want to upset Amanda Platell, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom