The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 06:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppie
As compared to the President as I was she has no real powers. Although she may legally be entitled to do things she never would do them. Convention and precedent is as important as what is written down.
Oh, I'm not disputing the value of constitutional coventions at all, after all: for Australians, a Prime Minister is a convention! My point was only that no one here ever imagined (certainly not in 1975), that Her Majesty's representative would ever exercise a reserve power, Gough Whitlam among them. But they were proved wrong.

Everyone expects the same today, that a Governor-General won't interfere with the functioning of Government, but then again, our current Governor-General is a retired Major General, and a Vietnam Veteran.. anything might happen.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Aristocracy

It's so sad to see the regiments been turn into one big regiment. :( What was Mr.Blair's goverment thinking? Has he forgotten he is also Scottish? Even I understand being more then half scottish myself, why they didn't want to be one big regiment, and I'm Canadian.

Anyways Her Majusty looks very nice. :) I think it was a wonderful idea to get all the regiments together.:)

Old 08-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Courtier

She looks very nice and is wearing a brooch that I've never seen before. She really has many of them.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:49 AM
Heir Apparent

BBC's "On this Day" today has a great recollection of Her Majesty's visit to Northern Ireland as part of her Silver Jubilee Tour in 1977. It was a high security visit to a troubbled part of her realm, and she didn't visit again unti 1991, and recently during her Golden Jubilee Tour in 2002.

Read the full article recollection and see a video here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2528727.stm
Old 08-12-2005, 07:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
BBC's "On this Day" today has a great recollection of Her Majesty's visit to Northern Ireland as part of her Silver Jubilee Tour in 1977. It was a high security visit to a troubbled part of her realm, and she didn't visit again unti 1991, and recently during her Golden Jubilee Tour in 2002.

Read the full article recollection and see a video here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/2528727.stm
Thanks you so much GrandDuchess.It was really cool.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 08-12-2005, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent

"St Paul's service for bomb victims"

A memorial service for the victims of the London bombings will be held at St Paul's Cathedral on November 1.

The event will be attended by the Queen, Prime Minister Tony Blair, several Secretaries of State, Conservative leader Michael Howard, Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy and a number of foreign ambassadors.

Full story here: http://icteesside.icnetwork.co.uk/01...name_page.html
Old 08-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Aristocracy

The new Canadian govener general and her husband may have been separtists.
What do you think? I think it could be true because he hails from France.

Long live the Queen!
Old 08-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen to visit China in charm offensive

By Severin Carrell

Published: 14 August 2005

The Queen is preparing to make an official visit to China, the last major Communist state, as part of a concerted charm offensive by Britain to strengthen trade links.

From: http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle305778.ece

Wow!So Her Majesty still have many visits at the age of 80: A State Visit to Malta next November, an Official Visit to Australia to open Commonwealth Games in March 2006,and then follow by a State Visit to SIngapore.And now also with an Official Visit to China.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 08-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
Queen to visit China in charm offensive

By Severin Carrell

Published: 14 August 2005

The Queen is preparing to make an official visit to China, the last major Communist state, as part of a concerted charm offensive by Britain to strengthen trade links.

From: http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle305778.ece

Wow!So Her Majesty still have many visits at the age of 80: A State Visit to Malta next November, an Official Visit to Australia to open Commonwealth Games in March 2006,and then follow by a State Visit to SIngapore.And now also with an Official Visit to China.

I hope it's true. It would be a great event. :)
(And I hope that Philip manages to keep his mouth closed this time. )
Old 08-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Courtier

Battle of Trafalgar anniversary dinner

Daily Mail

Storm over £1,750 'meet the Queen' offer

Defence chiefs are at the centre of a row over plans to 'hire out' the Queen at a £1,750-a-head champagne reception. . . .
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

I had seen dinner details on the official site of Trafalgar 200. The article states that there are still tickets available, but I read on the site that they are "sold out".
I think that a ballot would have been more appropriate.

The official DVD of the events in June (fleet review and son et lumière) will be released at the end of August. It can be pre-ordered on the site: http://trafalgar200.com/
Old 08-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Courtier

A war story

The Observer

Veteran tells of day Philip saved his life

The prince will meet veterans of the Pacific war tomorrow. Two airmen will have a special reason to thank him - his destroyer rescued them from death
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...548767,00.html

Nice story. I especially like where it says "He had a framed photograph of his sweetheart on the table in his cabin." :)
Old 08-14-2005, 12:07 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElisaR
The Observer

Veteran tells of day Philip saved his life

The prince will meet veterans of the Pacific war tomorrow. Two airmen will have a special reason to thank him - his destroyer rescued them from death
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...548767,00.html

Nice story. I especially like where it says "He had a framed photograph of his sweetheart on the table in his cabin." :)
Cute to hear that he kept a picture of the queen in his cabin, or as the veteran says his sweetheart.There's always much talk about how the queen and duke's marriage was arranged by his uncle and how he didn't really love her but I think that it's simply not true. With that marriage he obtained a whole lot of privilege but he also had to sacrifice a whole lot for her.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Courtier

I agree with you. :)
Old 08-14-2005, 02:08 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise27
Cute to hear that he kept a picture of the queen in his cabin, or as the veteran says his sweetheart.There's always much talk about how the queen and duke's marriage was arranged by his uncle and how he didn't really love her but I think that it's simply not true. With that marriage he obtained a whole lot of privilege but he also had to sacrifice a whole lot for her.
Yes, he gave up a very promising naval career, just to be her second fiddle. No wonder he gets worked up sometimes, it must have been very frustrating for an active man.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:33 PM
Aristocracy

Queen Elizabeth fell in love with Prince philip when she was 12 years or something like that, so really mountbattan had nothing do with it. Though may have convinced Prince Philip.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, Mountbatten did engineer that meeting when Princess Elizabeth was young; I'm sure he fully intended to carry on doing so until she fell for Philip.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:37 AM
Heir Apparent

WWII vets gather to mark VJ Day
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4151800.stm
Old 08-15-2005, 03:56 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
Yes, he gave up a very promising naval career, just to be her second fiddle. No wonder he gets worked up sometimes, it must have been very frustrating for an active man.
I hardly think the phrase "just to be her second fiddle", is quite right. Certainly not the just anyway. Her Majesty and His Royal Highness have been married for 58 years, and I don't think His Royal Highness would look back on that time and say he'd have preferred not to have married Her Majesty.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:58 AM
Nobility

I attended the VP Day ceremonies today in Melbourne - very moving. There was also a concert at the Melbourne town hall with the Australian Army Band-Melbourne playing war-time tunes, and starring Marina Prior. The service at the Shrine of Remembrance was also well attended.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Schlesian
I hardly think the phrase "just to be her second fiddle", is quite right. Certainly not the just anyway. Her Majesty and His Royal Highness have been married for 58 years, and I don't think His Royal Highness would look back on that time and say he'd have preferred not to have married Her Majesty.
I'm sure you're right, that given the opportunity they would still pick each other. But I think they both would have preferred a more stereotypical, upper-class lifestyle, with him pursuing the naval career and her living in a country house with horses and dogs.

Tags
duke of edinburgh, elizabeth ii, prince philip, queen elizabeth ii