Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 7: July-September 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A war story

The Observer

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Veteran tells of day Philip saved his life[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The prince will meet veterans of the Pacific war tomorrow. Two airmen will have a special reason to thank him - his destroyer rescued them from death[/font]
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1548767,00.html

Nice story. I especially like where it says "He had a framed photograph of his sweetheart on the table in his cabin." :)

ElisaR said:
The Observer

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Veteran tells of day Philip saved his life[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The prince will meet veterans of the Pacific war tomorrow. Two airmen will have a special reason to thank him - his destroyer rescued them from death[/font]
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1548767,00.html

Nice story. I especially like where it says "He had a framed photograph of his sweetheart on the table in his cabin." :)

Cute to hear that he kept a picture of the queen in his cabin, or as the veteran says his sweetheart.There's always much talk about how the queen and duke's marriage was arranged by his uncle and how he didn't really love her but I think that it's simply not true. With that marriage he obtained a whole lot of privilege but he also had to sacrifice a whole lot for her.

Elise27 said:
Cute to hear that he kept a picture of the queen in his cabin, or as the veteran says his sweetheart.There's always much talk about how the queen and duke's marriage was arranged by his uncle and how he didn't really love her but I think that it's simply not true. With that marriage he obtained a whole lot of privilege but he also had to sacrifice a whole lot for her.

Yes, he gave up a very promising naval career, just to be her second fiddle. No wonder he gets worked up sometimes, it must have been very frustrating for an active man.

Queen Elizabeth fell in love with Prince philip when she was 12 years or something like that, so really mountbattan had nothing do with it. Though may have convinced Prince Philip.

Well, Mountbatten did engineer that meeting when Princess Elizabeth was young; I'm sure he fully intended to carry on doing so until she fell for Philip.

iowabelle said:
Yes, he gave up a very promising naval career, just to be her second fiddle. No wonder he gets worked up sometimes, it must have been very frustrating for an active man.

I hardly think the phrase "just to be her second fiddle", is quite right. Certainly not the just anyway. Her Majesty and His Royal Highness have been married for 58 years, and I don't think His Royal Highness would look back on that time and say he'd have preferred not to have married Her Majesty.

I attended the VP Day ceremonies today in Melbourne - very moving. There was also a concert at the Melbourne town hall with the Australian Army Band-Melbourne playing war-time tunes, and starring Marina Prior. The service at the Shrine of Remembrance was also well attended.

Von Schlesian said:
I hardly think the phrase "just to be her second fiddle", is quite right. Certainly not the just anyway. Her Majesty and His Royal Highness have been married for 58 years, and I don't think His Royal Highness would look back on that time and say he'd have preferred not to have married Her Majesty.

I'm sure you're right, that given the opportunity they would still pick each other. But I think they both would have preferred a more stereotypical, upper-class lifestyle, with him pursuing the naval career and her living in a country house with horses and dogs.

Absolutly right! I agree 100%. I think she would have been very happy with her animals, and he would have with his naval career. But they both understood their destinys.

Prince Phillip the Duke of Edinburgh, who served with the British Pacific Fleet waves to the Band of the Brigade of Gurkhas during a ceremony to mark the sixtieth anniversary of Victory over Japan (VJ) Day and honour the men and women who served Britain during the Second World War at the Imperial War museum in London, 15 August 2004. One hundred veterans and former Far East prisoners of war attended the ceremony. From aap

Attachments

• BRITAIN-VJ DAY-PRINCE PHI_4.jpg
    BRITAIN-VJ DAY-PRINCE PHI_4.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 167
  • BRITAIN-VJ DAY-PRINCE PHI_5.jpg
    BRITAIN-VJ DAY-PRINCE PHI_5.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 139
  • BRITAIN-VJ DAY-PRINCE PHI_3.jpg
    BRITAIN-VJ DAY-PRINCE PHI_3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 141
  • BRITAIN-VJ DAY-PRINCE PHI_2.jpg
    BRITAIN-VJ DAY-PRINCE PHI_2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 148
Gee in the second picture he look he is pretending to talk on a cell phone and play the bag pipe at same time. I would love to go in his head and find out what he is thinking. He he he he he!

:D

If you look at him carefully, you will notice that is touching his ear. As he was probably stopping to wave in that moment, his right hand is still raised.

However, the picture is funny! :D (A reason because I wouldn't like to be famous are the photographers - they always take a picture when you look funny or even worse).

iowabelle said:
I'm sure you're right, that given the opportunity they would still pick each other. But I think they both would have preferred a more stereotypical, upper-class lifestyle, with him pursuing the naval career and her living in a country house with horses and dogs.

I completely agree. I remember also some programme or inteview where he or his friend Michael Parker were saying something about how when Elizabeth became queen he thought he might be able to continue his naval career. I think that for a man like him it must have been and probably is very difficult being basically Mr.Queen (hehe).

In any case it's an interesting situation because male consorts are in such a different position than queen consorts. The latter tend to get more or equal attention as their husbands, but male consorts tend to not be cared much about. Think of when they travel overseas all the attention is on the queen except for when he makes a gaffe. Yet when the Kings of Spain travel abroad, for example, I would say there's equal attention on both.

Whatever the truth about their private relationship (whether he's been faithful or not) IMO the fact is he's made a very big sacrifice for her and if the rumors of his infidelities are false then it has been an even bigger sacrifice.

Elise27 said:
In any case it's an interesting situation because male consorts are in such a different position than queen consorts. The latter tend to get more or equal attention as their husbands, but male consorts tend to not be cared much about. Think of when they travel overseas all the attention is on the queen except for when he makes a gaffe. Yet when the Kings of Spain travel abroad, for example, I would say there's equal attention on both.

Exactly. That's what I meant by "second fiddle."

Let's compare two royal couples, Elizabeth and Philip versus Charles and Diana.

Elizabeth and Charles would always get the attention by virtue of being queen or prince of Wales. Diana would get attention by her clothes and sheer "star power." Nobody really cares what Philip wears. He's just the spouse of a queen. (Okay, an exaggeration, he was an attractive young man so he got attention then.)

Or compare Philip with Prince Henrik and Prince Claus. Nobody really pays/paid much attention to them. But royal women get attention all the time!

More pictures of the Duke of Edinburgh at 60th Anniversary of the end of VJ Day yesterday:
Pictures from Getty Images(one picture) and Abacausa Press:

Attachments

• 392827.jpg
    392827.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 254
  • 53391098.jpg
    53391098.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 221
  • 392828.jpg
    392828.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 392826.jpg
    392826.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 257
  • 392825.jpg
    392825.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 266
  • 392823.jpg
    392823.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 369
  • 392821.jpg
    392821.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 392819.jpg
    392819.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 382
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1736212,00.html

Prince Philip joins veterans to pay respects on VJ Day
by Paul Platt, Times Online, and PA
trans.gif

War veterans and prison camp survivors who fought in the Far East during World War II joined Prince Philip in remembering the 60th anniversary of Victory over Japan Day.

NI_MPU('middle');The Prince attended a reunion at the Imperial War Museum in south London as veterans across the world remembered the day.

iowabelle said:

I think Philip thought his role would be more high profile than it turned out to be.

Philip was a penniless exiled Prince of Greece who was bounced between his rich relatives for much of his earlier life. His uncle flat out told him he needed to marry well.

They pay little attention to him even when he undertakes an important engagement on his own. Even at VJ Day celebrations: all articles only say that he met veterans and he laid a wreath, but anything more. They don't tell any further detail about him or if he said something (and this means he didn't make gaffes). There's only an indirect reference: the interview with the veteran saved by his ship.

Queen Elizabeth II (l) and the Duke of Edinburgh receive the President of Malta, Dr Edward Fenech-Adami and his wife, Mary at Balmoral Castle

From aap

Attachments

• MALTA-ROYAL-PRESIDENT-QUEEN.jpg
    MALTA-ROYAL-PRESIDENT-QUEEN.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 701
  • UK-ROYAL MALTA 1-044841-pih.jpg
    UK-ROYAL MALTA 1-044841-pih.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 171
More pictures of the Queen and The Duke of Ediburgh at the Meeting with the President of Malta:
Photos from Getty Images Editorial:

Attachments

• 53399100.jpg
    53399100.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 53399107.jpg
    53399107.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 53399112.jpg
    53399112.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 294
  • 53399116.jpg
    53399116.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 221
Goodness, the Queen is wearing a cardigan to receive a foreign president? I mean, I know she's on holiday but that's a bit casual.

Is it just me, or does anybody else think Prince Philip has aged a lot in the last year or two? He seems to have a bit of trouble standing up straight these days; he seems to be affecting the bent-old-man posture a bit.

Elspeth said:
Is it just me, or does anybody else think Prince Philip has aged a lot in the last year or two? He seems to have a bit of trouble standing up straight these days; he seems to be affecting the bent-old-man posture a bit.

I must agree with you, Elspeth. Still, he looks very good for an 84-year-old.

Elspeth said:
Goodness, the Queen is wearing a cardigan to receive a foreign president? I mean, I know she's on holiday but that's a bit casual.

The Queen always wears a cardigan when receiving guests at Balmoral.

About Philip. I sometimes have the same impression.

Prince Phillip seems in good shape for an 84 years old man. Unfortunately at that age, the effect of time tends to show by leap - one day you can run the next you need a walking stick.

By the way, I discovered that he finished second in a carriage driving competition last weekend. :rolleyes:
In the last two years he seems to have improved in the sport. :confused: :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom