Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 8: September-November 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some details about the Norwegian visit on October 25-27 2005. Sounds very festive, hopefully many memebers of the BRF will attend and there will be many photo oppertunerties at the gala so we will se the Duchess wearing a tiara

On the 25th the royal family will arrive from the Royal Yacht Norge on the Thames, and arrive at Millbank Pier; from there they will be transported to Buckingham Palace where Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip will receive them. Then they will go on a visit to Tony Blair and the Mayor of the City of Westmister. In the evening there is a gala dinner at Buckingham Palace with guests from the two countries.

On the 26th The Mayor of the City of London will host a banquet at the Guildhall

On the 27th King Harald and Queen Sonja will host a lunch for the British Royal Family at the Royal Yacht and a dinner in the evening at the Norwegian ambassador.

Haakon and Mette-Marit will have tea with the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall at Clarence House. The Norwegian Royal Family will be received in Parliament where the King will speak to members of both houses, and a statue of Queen Maud will be unveiled at the Norwegian ambassador’s residence

The King and Crown Prince visit Security Service (MI5) and New Scotland Yard and take part in an energy seminar.

The Norwegian Queen will attend an architecture seminar and together with the Crown Princess be present when a Norwegian author anthology(?) is presented at Groucho Club in SoHo

Translated from http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1135166.ece

More information will be published here http://www.norway.org.uk/

Last edited:
Larzen said:
Here are some details about the Norwegian visit on October 25-27 2005. http://www.norway.org.uk/
Thanks lots Larzen, thats with lots of information, sounds so much interesting, we would see lots of British Royals there.Normally on other State Visits Her Majesty just took part in the Welcoming Ceremony and the State Banquets, hopefully for this visit Her Majesty will accompany The Norwegian Royals on several engagements. And i also got an information from Prince Michael of Kent's website that he will attend the Lunch on the Norwegian Yatch. For the Banquet at the Guildhall normally the Gloucesters im not sure how about for this visit, maybe THe Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall?

Last edited by a moderator:
BeatrixFan said:
It's a very very rare event. Lady Thatcher is a stickler for tradition and despite being rather frail, insisted on curtseying to the Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and Princess Alexandra. She used to drop the lowest curtseys ever seen at court - now she can just manage a little bob.

I personally didn't like the outfit the Queen wore which was more cocktail than evening wear. Speaking to a friend who was actually there, Margaret actually cried when the Queen arrived. She was so touched that she'd made it!

I was impressed that Bush phoned her too. A nice way of saying thankyou to the grand dame of British politics! :D

His father and President Reagan had the greatest respect for her and were both deeply touched, as we all were, by her heartfelt and touching speech tribute to our beloved President Reagan's funeral last year.

When I was a child growing up in the 80's, we were taught only respect for her in history classes.

I think Cilla's...is that her name?...dress is very inappropriate not only for that party for a woman her age...that slit is way too high.

BeatrixFan said:
It's a very very rare event. Lady Thatcher is a stickler for tradition and despite being rather frail, insisted on curtseying to the Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and Princess Alexandra. She used to drop the lowest curtseys ever seen at court - now she can just manage a little bob.

I personally didn't like the outfit the Queen wore which was more cocktail than evening wear. Speaking to a friend who was actually there, Margaret actually cried when the Queen arrived. She was so touched that she'd made it!

I was impressed that Bush phoned her too. A nice way of saying thankyou to the grand dame of British politics! :D

I felt really emotional when hearing that Lady Thatcher even cried too when The Queen came, she should be really happy and emotional at that moment, it cn be one of greatest and remarkable moment in her life, yah the picture of Lady Thatcher curtseyed to the Queen on her birthday was such a remarkable picture, we rarely some such as a picture with lots of meanings to us like that, they are both so wonderful woman, yah i really admire them.Wish more years and healths come for The Queen and Lady Thatcher.

BBC News

Duke's awards 'remain relevant'

The Duke of Edinburgh has insisted his award scheme for young people is still relevant today, as he unveiled plans for its 50th anniversary celebrations.
... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4355696.stm

(with video)

The Queen presents the former Secretary of NATO, Lord Robertson of Port Ellen, with the Insignia of Knight of the Thistle at Buckingham Palace on 19th October 2005:

Queen Elizabeth II presents Robert Holmes Tuttle, the U.S. Ambassador to London, with his letter of credentials at Buckingham Palace on October 19, 2005 in London, England:

Pictures from Royal Insight and Getty Images:

Attachments

• Insight_oct05_gallery_thistle_large.jpg
    Insight_oct05_gallery_thistle_large.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 55962891.jpg
    55962891.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 353
  • 55962900.jpg
    55962900.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth inaugurated the University College Hospital

From anp

Attachments

• 3118992.jpg
    3118992.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 231
It's realyy rarely The Queen to wear white gloves on walkabout at these times of the year, but Her Majesty looks great and elegant as usual.The outfit has been worn on her State Visit to Italy in 2000, and another time in June 2004.
More pics here from Getty Images:

Attachments

• 55971370.jpg
    55971370.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 219
  • 55971978.jpg
    55971978.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 55971973.jpg
    55971973.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 197
  • 55971972.jpg
    55971972.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 55971966.jpg
    55971966.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 180
  • 55971367.jpg
    55971367.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 55970920.jpg
    55970920.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 195
  • 55970918.jpg
    55970918.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 55971967.jpg
    55971967.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 3,174
Last edited:
Hats

:( The Queen Looks Very Nice Today But Have You Noticed That She Is The Only Royal Who Wears Hats Now When They Are During There Royal Duties!!!!

hats

I know Diana wore them at the beginning of being royal. I thought the only ones that regularly wore hats was the Queen and the late queen mother. The others wear them to church and at the beginning of tours I thought.Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
Her Majesty yesterday attended the lightning of nation Beacons from HMS Victory in Portsmouth in commemoration of 200th Anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar:
Pictures from ANP Photo:
Her Majesty looks really relax, enjoy, so happy, and really elegant as usual.
GOD SAVE OUR QUEEN

Attachments

• 3121158.jpg
    3121158.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 293
  • 3121165.jpg
    3121165.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 3121151.jpg
    3121151.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 237
  • 3121134.jpg
    3121134.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 3121125.jpg
    3121125.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 179
  • 3121122.jpg
    3121122.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 276
  • 3122208.jpg
    3122208.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 3122237.jpg
    3122237.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 207
  • 3122235.jpg
    3122235.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
I love that hat. She looks awesome!

For someone at death's door, the Duke looks pretty chipper!

thanks Elspeth! i've wanted picture of HM wearing those brooches for a long time.

Re:

It's nice to see HM smiling. Sometimes I just want to shake her and say , "Ask Beatrix to teach you how to look jolly!"

BeatrixFan said:
It's nice to see HM smiling. Sometimes I just want to shake her and say , "Ask Beatrix to teach you how to look jolly!"
Well, she can hardly be beaming all day long; imagine the strain on the facial muscles.
And you "want to shake her"? A clear-cut case of lese-majesty, surely!

HOORAYTIO!
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16280231%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=hooraytio%2d-name_page.html

BEACONS MARK TRAFALGAR
x.gif

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13452577,00.html

Well, she can hardly be beaming all day long; imagine the strain on the facial muscles.
And you "want to shake her"? A clear-cut case of lese-majesty, surely!
Understood. I wouldn't expect her to dazzle us with a grin every time she's seen but sometimes she sports this dead-pan, jowly grimace which makes her look miserable when she just isn't.

I'll refrain from shaking her but a word from Bea wouldn't go a miss! When QE2 smiles, it lights up her whole face and makes you smile too - sadly, she doesn't do it enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't she say something about that herself? Something along the lines that unfortunately she has the sort of face where, when she isn't smiling, she looks cross even though she isn't.

Elspeth I remember reading something across those lines too. I would say Queen sophia is the same too. But anyway I do think that QEII does smile more often than given credit for, her smiles are not as often and as big as say Beatrix but if you look at pictures from her engagements she does smile a lot. But I would venture to say that hospitals are not her thing though, less smiles there.

I believe when she said that, she blame her german facial features, which made her face hurt if if she smiled too long. (no insult to germans intended, as I am part german too)

BeatrixFan said:
...but sometimes she sports this dead-pan, jowly grimace which makes her look miserable when she just isn't.
I think it just makes her look Hanoverian.

Royal Hats

seto said:
I know Diana wore them at the beginning of being royal. I thought the only ones that regularly wore hats was the Queen and the late queen mother. The others wear them to church and at the beginning of tours I thought.Please correct me if I am wrong.
DIANA AND FERGIE WORE THEM ALL THE TIME, BUT SOPHIE NEVER WORE THEM ON ROYAL TOURS AND SO FAR CAMILA EITHER!!! :confused:

Elspeth said:
No, I think that's the two aquamarine clips that were one of her first presents from her parents.

http://royal-jewels4.tripod.com/brooch/qe2/page-14.html

Those are the Cartier aquamarine clips that were given to the Queen Mother who then gave them to the then Princess Elizabeth. Cartier was inspired to make these clip brooches after watching woman hang her washing with clothing pins on the clothes line.

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II (L) arrives at St. Paul's Cathedral in London 24 October 2005 accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh for a Service of Thanksgiving and Rededication to celebrate the Sixtieth anniversary of the United Nations organisation

From anp

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 152
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 153
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 164
I love that dress. :) (Sorry, I say it everytime :rolleyes: ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom