Princess Eugenie of York Current Events 6: April 2010-October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Russo...I agree they should act like Princesses when in public and doing public events. I just think its grossly unfair to call for the girl to be demoted, kicked off the payroll, stripped of her bodyguards because she did something we all did when were young.

If she is still acting like this at 25, 30, 35 and beyond...that's different.

Last edited:
Agreed.
I think they forgot their Walter Bagehot.

It may be legal for her to drink, but I'm sure it's not legal for her to get as sotted as she looked and then get into her car and drive.

If all four of them keep acting like they're bored, I will lose interest.

They both have time to do that. And there should be no comparison between entertainment people and Princesses. C'mon!

I'm not comparing. I simply stated that Eugenie could've chosen the path that Lindsay Lohan and Paris Hilton have gone on. :whistling:

Let's not forget Harry and the marijuana problem he was tangled into or his Nazi.

It may be legal for her to drink, but I'm sure it's not legal for her to get as sotted as she looked and then get into her car and drive.

If all four of them keep acting like they're bored, I will lose interest.

Did she get into her car and drive? You have evidence to show that she did this I assume.

She didn't look all that drunk to me anyway?

IMO while Eugenie didn't look regal or even ladylike, she did look like a young girl who was having fun just clowning around with her friends. Girls that age don't need liquor to act silly...it's probably just the joy of youth.

Do you think this would be such a big deal if her parents were respected?

IMO while Eugenie didn't look regal or even ladylike, she did look like a young girl who was having fun just clowning around with her friends. Girls that age don't need liquor to act silly...it's probably just the joy of youth.

Do you think this would be such a big deal if her parents were respected?

Considering the criticism of Harry at that age with his drinking, drugs and Nazi uniform and his mother wasn't only respected but almost a saint in the opinions of some I am not sure but it certainly doesn't help that Beatrice and Eugenie have Andrew and Sarah for their parents.

If Eugenie wants to party and have drinks that's one thing, but posting her antics on Facebook is not intelligent, also young Royals seem to forget that almost everyone has a camera and video on his/her phone and can get photos or footage that even, ten years ago couldn't be done. Hence, Harry and the infamous Nazi costume.
A poster on another forum stated that the children of the Luxembourg Royal family are similar in age to their British counterparts yet have never been caught in drunken antics or any kind of mayhem and really, Princess Caroline's children haven't ever been shown drunk, holding their boobs (Charlotte of course) or wearing distasteful costumes. I do have the opinion that Eugenie will always be a bit immature much like her mother.

Eugenie didn't post these pictures on Facebook. One of her friends posted them on their Facebook page. It appears that said friend didn't put the appropriate privacy settings and the press (DM) went looking for more information with which to embarass and damage the royal family.

Who even knows about the Luxembourg royal family?

The BRF are the most famous in the world and outside of the actual countries that have these other royal families and people on boards like this most people wouldn't even know these people even exist e.g. when Victoria married earlier this year I asked a couple of the people at my school (fellow teachers) about what they thought about her marrying a fitness instructor and the comment I got was 'Does Sweden have a royal family? I didn't know that.' These people can name the Queen and her four children and William and Harry but didn't even know that Andrew had children let alone the names of any of the others. These are educated people who teach subjects like History/Geography and Society and Culture. After that revelation I did a poll at my school and not one teacher could name any country other than Britain and Denmark that had a royal family - why - absolutely no interest and no press coverage of any of them.

These pictures of Eugenie haven't made the press here that I have noticed but Harry's Nazi uniform was front page news around the world (even in China where I was at the time).

Last edited by a moderator:
How shocking Bertie! You had better get busy educating. Most Europeans, whom I mix with, on a daily basis, definitely know about history and geography including royal families and not on the "what colour socks do they wear" level.
Are you really are talking about teachers at your school? I am really shocked I am afraid.
Is it an outback school?

How shocking Bertie! You had better get busy educating. Most Europeans, whom I mix with, on a daily basis, definitely know about history and geography including royal families and not on the "what colour socks do they wear" level.
Are you really are talking about teachers at your school? I am really shocked I am afraid.
Is it an outback school?

No it isn't an outback school and that wouldn't make any difference as all teachers in NSW have the same requirements regarding their qualifications etc. We actually believe that it doesn't matter where a student goes to school the teachers have to meet the same standards and across each state learn the same courses - with the nation moving towards a national curriculum in about 2 years (which also doesn't have a huge increase in European affairs if we get the extra 30 hours a year for History that the National Curriculum would like - can't see it happening actually as subjects like Art and Music would have to lose hours).

We don't teach any of that stuff in our schools so why would we know it? Even when I was at school in the 1970s we didn't do much European history and no European Geography - we did the History of our own country, New Zealand and other Asian nations plus a bit of Germany 1918 - 1945 and Russia during the Revolution - no French Revolution or anything like that. I didn't get that until university.

Our Year 7 course in History for instance, is a study of What is History and one ancient/medieval society plus one society that had been colonised besides Australia and the Geography course involves a unit called What is Geography and lots of Geography skills followed by a study of living in couple of different types of landforms such as Deserts and Mountains.

Year 8 moves into another ancient/medieval society (of which across the two years at least one has to be non-European - leaving one European ancient or medieval society - my school like about 80% of them does Egypt and Vikings) and colonisation of Australia from the Aboriginal perspective. Geograhpy is about issues such as Access to Fresh Water.

Year 9 and 10 is totally 20th Australian History and Issues affecting Australian Geography such as Climate Change and Population Growth. If kids continue with History into the final two years of High School then again the push is away from Europe with the requirement in Modern History for one of the three topics taught in Year 11 to be non-European. In the HSC course after Germany 1918 - 1939 and Russia 1918 - 1941 there are very few topics left for schools to choose as about 85% of students do one of these two and about the same percentage study either Albert Speer, Leni Riefenstahl or Leon Trotsky for their personality. Of the final topic - International Conflicts the majority of students study Indo-China, Arab-Israeli, Conflict in Europe 1935 - 45 or South Africa. So you see modern Europe doesn't get a mention and even if it did the royals don't get a mention - even in Conflict in Europe 1935 - 45 most students wouldn't even know what any of the royals did as it isn't a requirement. I mention George VI only in regard to how Churchill actually became PM and that is all as it isn't relevant to a 30 hour course that covers such a huge topic - we don't do the war in the Atlantic for instance or living in occupied Europe as there simply isn't time.

There is no time for the teaching of European History or Geography at all and no real interest to do so by most teachers that I know. But even if not teachers, since my last post I have spoken to 6 elderly friends (all over 65) and none of them can name any of the monarchs other than Elizabeth although they know that Denmark has a royal family (thanks to Mary) and they think that Sweden and Norway may have one but only one knew that Spain had one. Our syllabus and government is moving us into the Asian sphere of influence, especially as that is where our future lies - in Asia not Europe.

The non-British royals get no coverage here except for the occasion mention of Mary (our Princess). I have had kids tell me that she will be the next Queen of Australia as that is what their parents believe and have even had an argument with one parent who has told me that the Australian government passed legislation to have that happen when she became the Crown Princess. The parent wasn't convinced mind you and I wouldn't be surprised if other Australians believe the same thing.

:previous: You have explained that very well. I have heard about the lean towards Asia in Australia and that it is quite common for Japanese to be taught instead of what was considered "the" first foreign language to be learnt, French.
When my grandmother lived in Australia she said she quite often heard Britain referred to as "home" and by people that had never even been there.
It seems that the saying "Plus ça change, c´est la meme chose" doesn´t really apply these days.
Good luck with spreading "the word" in your school that there are other foreign places besides "Bali" :flowers:

Are the ones studying Leni Riefenstahl thinking of gonig into marketing??

Wisteria, I think it's rather rampant and sad that people don't know more about what's going on in the world. I see that all the time with our youth. I tell my step-son, "You study history under your teacher, and then I'll TELL you what REALLY went on."

I highly doubt the average passerby on the street knows who Eugenie York is. Heck, Mr. Russo has no clue.

Are the ones studying Leni Riefenstahl thinking of gonig into marketing??

Not to my knowledge. The personalities have to have some controversy about them e.g. Speer - Good Nazi, Bad Nazi or Riefenstahl - Nazi propagandist or female pioneer, Hirohito - War Criminal or Military Pawn - of course the personalities are usually a bit of both of the things that are the controversial argument meaning that they students have to refer to not only events but different interpretations of the personality to score well - historiography is very important in this topic (just as it is throughout the course).

The course involves all students spending about 30 hours studying one of a set list of personalities and as most schools do Germany between the wars they also study either Albert Speer or Leni Riefenstahl as they are the two people on the syllabus that relate to the Germany topic. It used to be that the personality had to link to the National Study but now they can do any personality from the list but most still do one linked directly to the National Study or the International Study.

The HSC course involves four topics: World War One (Western Front)
National Study, Personality, International Study. There are 27 personalities on the list and some of them aren't studied at all or might have only one or two candidates e.g. Yamamoto had 1 candidate last year.

If interested in the final two year course here is a link: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/modern-history-st6-syl-from2010.pdf

NB This only applies in NSW and some schools in the ACT that choose to do teh NSW HSC rather than stick with the ACT's own Year 12 syllabus. Each state has its own syllabus at the moment but by 2013 or so we should have the same curriculum across the country.

If you look through this you will see that the only 'royal' who gets a mention is Hirohito.

Not to my knowledge.
Well we all know Goebbles had her beat in that department though she was very talented, unfortunately, playing for the wrong team.

Some kids don't even know that much--or little-- in school which, again, doesn't surprise me that they couldn't pick Eugenie York out of a line up with Paris Hilton, Snookie or some other flash in the pan.

But she didn't act silly in public....she acted silly with a group of friends in what would assumed to be a private home. For all we know this could be her dorm room. One of her friends decided to post their pictures on Facebook....which is done by TONS of teenagers and people in their early 20's.

Frankly we are spiltting hairs. Its not like she was was drinking in a club, dancing on a table, and falling out of a cab. She was taking pictures....quiet as kept...I too have done the pig picture with my girlfriends when I was in my 20's.

Of course, facebook wasn't around and I wasn't the Queen's granddaughter....but are we really making a mountain out of a molehill. Or are people letting their prejudicies for Fergie and/or Andrew make this a bigger issue? I mean, PICTURES of ttinhe girl making a pig nose?! She wasn't caught via pictures doing drugs or anything else inappropriate.....she was acting silly.

BUT the point is there is FACEBOOK. And it is more than 'acting silly'. My son is in highschool and this is how the kids communicate-where is the next dance, football game. They talk about girls. People are judged about the number of friends they have and their pictures. In our city, parents and students sign computer agreements and agreements about FaceBook etc begining in junior high. There have been some sad events with bullying on facebook one leading to a suicide of a teen. Potential employers now check an applicant's facebook page.

My point is at 20 Eugenie is a young adult not even a teen. She like all young people need to use common sense when on line. IT is in public. Nothing on line is truly private.

My husband and I monitor our son's online activity-and we sit down as a family and discuss problems.

BUT the point is there is FACEBOOK. And it is more than 'acting silly'. My son is in highschool and this is how the kids communicate-where is the next dance, football game. They talk about girls. People are judged about the number of friends they have and their pictures. In our city, parents and students sign computer agreements and agreements about FaceBook etc begining in junior high. There have been some sad events with bullying on facebook one leading to a suicide of a teen. Potential employers now check an applicant's facebook page.

My point is at 20 Eugenie is a young adult not even a teen. She like all young people need to use common sense when on line. IT is in public. Nothing on line is truly private.

My husband and I monitor our son's online activity-and we sit down as a family and discuss problems.

However this was NOT on Eugenie's page at all. It isn't Eugenie who put these pictues our there but one of her friends. Eugenie isn't at fault for putting this stuff on facebook as she didn't do it. Short of locking herself away from the rest of the world she has to find out which friends are street smart and this one isn't, obviously. A friend has made a mistake - not Eugenie (unless making silly faces is a mistake for a girl in her second year at University - and making silly faces isn't something I would be worried about personally).

Like iluvbertie, I am a little confused. Eugenie might need to watch who her friends are, but I'm not sure her Facebook use is the problem here. She didn't post those pictures; a friend did.

Just because suicides and bullying have taken place through Facebook doesn't mean that being on Facebook is inherently bad. I use Facebook mostly because that's how I find out about events going on and so on, and I've never experienced any bullying or people judging people. Again, it depends more on who your friends are in real life than your use of Facebook. (Obviously it is a bad idea to add people on Facebook that you don't know!) Bullying has probably taken place over the telephone, too.

The only thing I'd say Eugenie did wrong is that she obviously was posing for pictures, so she knew she was being photographed. And pictures can always end up online these days. What she should probably do is only pose for silly pictures if the picture is being taken by one of a very few, very trusted friends and there's no one else around. It seems very restrictive, but she has to get used to the fact that she is a public figure and anything she does has repercussions on the royal family--even if it's just silly photographs.

I dont want to get too far off topic-facebook or the that matter the internet is not inherently bad. It is a tool in human communication but like all tools it need to be used with care. just like any piece of equipment young people need to have direction.

FaceBook friends are a network of people that you give consent to view your page. There are also publice parts of facebook that anyone can view . You can also secure your page so that non friends can not view photos or private info.

I that P.Eugenia needs to watch her "friends":

Friends on facebook or friends in real life?
Just because this person may have not used the correct safety precautions, doesn't make her a bad friend, facebook has been critizied endlessly for not making clear the safety arrangements on your profile.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again.
Eugenie is young, she is only doing what her cousins have done, she's having fun.

Unfortunately, that has always been the case in the royal circles: who can you trust?

Quite true. Even when royalty didn't mix with the common folks, rumors would have floated around the upper crust so, yes it's a bit of an issue how much to tell someone.

I am having a hard time understanding why ANY of this is that big of a deal. ANd the argument the Eugenie is a Princess and needs to behave as such rather than behaving as anyone else her age behaves is ludicrous.

None of the Royals CHOSE to be born into the positions they are in and to ask them to behave "above" everyone else or differently than anyone else is wrong. I have numerous goofy photos of myself and friends on Facebook. I also have photos where I'm drinking or smoking, etc etc etc. I'm years older than Eugenie. REgardless of whether my page is private or not, they're there...

The photos appear to me to be of a young lady out with her friends having a great time and should be left at that.

When you're entire life is paid for, when tax payers pay for things like protection, when you're able to take a trip to various spots on the planet when the world is in a recession and all you're expected to do is to represent your nation, you're held to a higher standard then others.

When you're entire life is paid for, when tax payers pay for things like protection, when you're able to take a trip to various spots on the planet when the world is in a recession and all you're expected to do is to represent your nation, you're held to a higher standard then others.

However the York princesses 'entire life' is not paid for. They have security supplied at taxpayers expense and the rest of their lifestyle is funded from the private wealth of the Queen, not the taxpayers. They are thus answerable to her and their father and no one else.

I am having a hard time understanding why ANY of this is that big of a deal. ANd the argument the Eugenie is a Princess and needs to behave as such rather than behaving as anyone else her age behaves is ludicrous.

Baby doll, you're not a Princess and they are held to a higher standard. Did you want them (the Princesses) to be in the gutter with the rest of us?

I'm not a Princess and I recognize that, but I find it completely ridiculous to hold people to a higher standard simply because they won the gene lottery and were born into something. Eugenie did not choose to be born into the title of Princess, and regardless of whether she were to renounce her title she remains the granddaughter of a reigning monarch and therefore would be watched. She should be allowed to behave as she wishes to behave. Nothing she is doing is hurting anyone.

If being "in the gutter" is where you feel people who express themselves and enjoy themselves are, then yes, I think that's where they should be...so long as it's legal and they aren't hurting anyone. It's ten times better than them being pretentious snobbish brats who feel they are better than everyone and refuse to give the "common" person the time of day.

As for their lives being paid for by the public taxpayers, I was under the impression security was paid for by the taxpayers simply due to her title and relative proximity to the actual "throne".... Should she renounce the title then and forego the security detail? Would her actions and behaviors then be less scrutinized?

The only part of their lives paid for by the taxpayers is their security.

There was an earlier post however that referred to their 'entire' life being paid for when it is security only.

I agree with you. Eugenie is a young woman who is still at uni and has some maturing to do. When she is 25 I wouldn't expect her to be doing this sort of thing. As girls mature earlier than boys generally I would expect the girls to put their wild ways behind them by 25 whereas Harry clearly hasn't completed the maturing process. He is getting there but isn't there yet.

Fair enough. But then my question is what happens when she reaches 25-27 and perhaps a photo surfaces of her out with her friends at a club, or bar, or even a private party where they're just having a good time, but the photos or outcome is similar (alcohol in hand or silly face being made)? Is she to be written off as a horrible princess or trash who will never learn? What if she's doing charity work by day, or even a typical job, but then goes out and lets a little loose with her friends?

I guess my point through this all is that it seems harsh to judge these people who don't CHOOSE this life, by higher standards. It's one thing to say, well, you chose to become President, or Politician or Diplomat or whatever, and therefore the morale standards you will be held to are to be more strict than those of the general public. And quite another to expect those born into the position to adhere to standards that a typical person off the street isn't required to meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom